• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Teams are doing homework on Jim Harbaugh

WarPanthers89

Teams that are considering coaching changes don’t wait until firing the current coach to start looking for a successor. They start considering candidates weeks before issuing the pink slip.

To absolutely no surprise, NFL teams that may be looking for new coaches are doing their homework on Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, according to NFL Media.

Last week, we planted a flag on this possibility, given the events that unfolded in early 2022. Harbaugh wanted to coach the Vikings. He wants to win a Super Bowl. He has made it clear that he regards a national championship as something less than winning a Lombardi Trophy.

“bUT hE CLoSed tHE dOoR,” some will shout. His contract shows that the door is wide-ass open; his buyout this year is a mere $3 million.

If he was truly closing the door, he could have agreed to a much higher buyout, in return for other more favorable terms. He didn’t. He negotiated a reasonable buyout. Which means it’s not unreasonable to think he may be once again looking for a way back to the NFL.

Already, the Panthers and Colts have vacancies. There surely will be more. And there surely will be interest in a guy who immediately turned around a bad 49ers team, taking it to the brink of the Super Bowl in his first season and getting there in his second.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/04/report-teams-are-doing-homework-on-jim-harbaugh/

2D1A2009-381B-473D-9CC9-9C7CB42212FE.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 7
  • Flames 1

Just now, WarPanthers89 said:

For the record I do not want. I bet the panthers are doing research though. 

Me as well. Now if he had half the class of his brother? I may change my tune. The shine is wearing off at Mich. Why else would they allow such a small buyout. If they wanted him, that buyout would be huge.

• Poo 1

Great coach but his personality can be an huge issue. Not sure about his recent work with QBs. Feels like it could swing either way with him. I wonder if he would stick around for more than 3 years and if he would want full control. I'm more of a fan of shared power with cohesion or finding different people. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just think his personality is better suited for the college game where it's younger kids who cycle in and out of the program in 3-5 years and that in the NFL his coaching style wears thin on grown ass men over the long haul.

Were there any players who were said to have an issue with Jim Harbaugh?

From what I remember the downfall of his tenure in San Fran was his relationship with the front office, not the players.  But I could be remembering wrong, it has been a long time.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

From what I remember the downfall of his tenure in San Fran was his relationship with the front office, not the players.  But I could be rememb

I recall the same. The 49ers went downhill after he left until Shanahan came along. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mage said:

From what I remember the downfall of his tenure in San Fran was his relationship with the front office, not the players.  But I could be remembering wrong, it has been a long time.

I doubt many players have an issue with winning 60% of the games they play and going to the playoffs 

if there is a home run hire this cycle is harbaugh

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Mage said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deion-sanders-on-jim-harbaugh-49ers-players-want-him-out/

Would love to have him here, if he flames out within 5 years but those 5 years include playoff berths and a potential SB run, it’s worth it imo. That being said, I think he will want a ton of cash (he’s making $7m annually at UM I believe) and bringing his own GM which I’m not sure Tepper is willing to do. I could see him in Indy or Houston for sure tho. 

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Lots of players look up to and talk to Deion Sanders. And given his success coaching in college it's probably not smart to discount what he's saying regarding coaching given his experience on both sides of that coin.

I am saying is that is the only source saying that.....maybe not the most accurate take.

Personally, I will take Harbaugh in a heartbeat. Hard to think of a better hire we could make short of Sean Payton.

• Pie 2