• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The right coaching

Mr. Scot

48 minutes ago, Basbear said:

The big deal was Mcvay lost all faith in goff. No trust along with what was the 2nd highest(could have been #1) contract, you got one mountain of a problem. 

Plus if one of the best offensive minds wants to get rid of you, welllll. I think the only reason why this happened, the new loins GM worked for rams/les. Many times a player needs a fresh start and brain reset, goff seems to turned the tide. He was awful til the last 6 games or so, plenty of talk about loins drafting a QB this past draft cycle. 

Bill is the fing goat, he is universally copied. If a team struggles with the pats, they continue to do so afterwards. He tore goffs game apart and put out great ideas to stop mcvay(whom adjusted). hes just brilliant about knowing a players strengths and weaknesses, then building a gameplan around them. 

Yeah I remember how that all fell apart in LA.

McVay was ready to move on and I think it is a positive thing for Goff's career too. 

If I was the Lions, I would probably stick with Goff unless an elite QB prospect is available. 

PFN 🤔

4) Detroit Lions (from LAR): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

It looked a little dicey when the Lions started the season 1-6, but Dan Campbell’s turnaround has shown that their process of developing both players and coaches may have a payoff. The biggest thing that will prevent that payoff from ever coming to fruition is the lack of a QB capable of making plays when the chips are down. Jared Goff is only “the guy” when he has perfect protection, a strong run game, and a defense holding his opponents to minimal points.

For our sake, let's hope the Lions decide to stay with Goff

I honestly believe that it is (at times) better to look through the NFL's QB scrap heap for a gem than to overpay for an aging veteran.  I mean, the Rams traded away the farm for a super bowl.  The Panthers signed former WFL backup and Saints backup Jake, and they go to a Super Bowl.

If the Lions take a QB, then I say the Panthers might consider going after Goff.

We REALLY need a TE, folks.  The offense is running at half capacity without one--not saying in round 1--but adding a TE might be better (instantly) than some overrated college QB.

28 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If the Lions take a QB, then I say the Panthers might consider going after Goff.

We REALLY need a TE, folks.  The offense is running at half capacity without one--not saying in round 1--but adding a TE might be better (instantly) than some overrated college QB.

I think either way they are keeping Goff.  If they are smart, they will start Goff next season even if they draft a QB early.  They can afford his contract, and easily cut him loose after next season if they want.

• Beer 2

23 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The thing about Wilks is if you hire him, it's pretty much critical that you get the right OC and offensive staff under him.

Can Wilks himself choose the right guys? Don't know, but that's the kind of thing you need to know.

Whats more likely? 

A good OC comes to the Panthers for a chance at HC

...OR...

a good OC comes to the Panthers to be an OC.

If Wilks keeps the job, who exactly is on the list to replace McAdoo?

52 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

First round tes bust at a crazy rate 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think either way they are keeping Goff.  If they are smart, they will start Goff next season even if they draft a QB early.  They can afford his contract, and easily cut him loose after next season if they want.

Yes, he is a bargain at $25m in 2023 and 2024.  I doubt they let him go unless they get a nice package of picks. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

This.  If the Lions were in the first stages of a rebuild, I think they would draft a rookie and just let them start right away.  The Lions have playoff aspirations next year, so they are not going to go all-in on a rookie with no backup plan.

The only team I see drafting a rookie QB that they 100% plan to start immediately is the Texans.

We should follow the same plan as Detroit.  These last 5 games IMO are an evaluation on whether we try to resign Sam or PJ to pair with Matt Corral and whoever we draft at QB going into next year.

This roster likewise is too good to completely trust it to a rookie QB until they are ready IMO.  And I trust Sam or PJ to be a good backup and mentor if that's required.

Even with the uncertainty at QB and potentially HC, I still feel so much better about the direction of this team now than at any point under Rhule.

We are finally starting to develop an identity again of being a hard-nosed football team and winning in the trenches. 

That's not something you can fake with "The Brand," "DBO," or "OOU."  It's so embarrassing in retrospect that we had a NFL coach resort to those type of tactics and honestly think they would be a rallying cry for grown men...

• Beer 2