• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks Credit?

CPcavedweller

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I believe running the ball will never go out of style.

You can win if you execute. 

I hate this notion that you have to play Madden to win.

It's amazing how many games are won or lost because of execution. I'll take the team that can execute in their sleep any time. 

F\Today, for the first time in a long while, I saw the Panthers play Playoff Football. It was cool to see.

• Pie 3

On 12/11/2022 at 7:44 PM, Aussie Tank said:

Still gotta get an offensive minded HC. There’s another post about this team being cursed. Its not cursed just the definition of insanity going with conservative defensive coaches over and over again expecting a different result 

McDermott is doing just fine. Will throw it 50 times a game if necessary and they have just as good of an offense as the Chiefs when healthy, and, they beat them.

The Bucs won the Super Bowl against the top offense in the league, giving up 9 points. The Patriots beat the Rams, one of the top offenses in the league giving up 3 points. Hell, even the Rams and Bengels game last year was one the revolved primarily around whose defense was better.

You can have a defensive minded head coach and hire a young and upcoming coordinator. I highly doubt Wilks will be upset at giving up 20 points per game if we have an offense that can score 35. We run the offense we do right now because it makes best use of the personnel that we have. You're not throwing the ball 35 times a game with this offensive line and tight ends group unless you want to lose. Hell, even our receivers can't break free which is a product of both scheme and skill.

I'd be entirely confident in Wilks ability to modernize the offense while keeping a brick wall of a defense. He isn't Ron Rivera nor is he John Fox. He's Steve Wilks, period. He is his own man, own coach, and was his own player. He also does something that I've only really seen Ron Rivera do here and that is get guys to play for HIM and for each other. There is accountability here and I'm not saying that's not possible with another coach, but in an administrative or CEO type role he would likely have, that's exactly what you want.

We could go get a Mike McDaniels or LeFleur but you see what happens to them? The league catches up. Without either/or a premier quarterback and wide receiver corp, they can't do poo. The Dolphins (mcdaniel) just signed one of their worst defensive linemen to $100 million+ for several years. How long do you think they will be humming? Truth be told, they stopped.

Unless you get a generational guy like Shanahan who went into the 49er's and actually built the defense up as opposed to the offense, the results are going to come toward the median.

Lastly, who is the best coach in NFL history? Bill Bellichek. Who are the top coaches right now? Dan Campbell (talk about lemons and lemonade), Bill, Sean McDermott, and Reid. 

All of those except for Reid are more of the CEO types and two of them were two of the best defensive coordinators during their time in that role. Wilks was one of the NFL's best before our roster building tanked. 

Ultimately, defense wins championships. It's why Reid has one Super Bowl despite the numerous Championship appearances while Bill has 7. It's why the Bucs beat the Chiefs in 2020. It's why the Patriots beat the Falcons after being down 28-3. I have faith the Wilks wouldn't be singularly focused on a power run game and defense only if we had the roster to handle a different style of play (we don't).

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

On 12/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, Varking said:

The worry is you can’t keep winning like this long-term in a passing league. It’s fine if we get ahead but we haven’t shown we can pass the ball. 

I think Wilks is beating them with scheme.  Give the man some credit.  He drew up a scheme to win with the talent we have.  With less pieces he's providing 400 percent more production then a guy who made 800 percent more money.  He is doing more with less and you think that's because of?  I mean he may be a great speaker,  but talk doesn't get you those wins.  The reality is, Wilks has forgotten more about football then any of us know.  Sometimes in life, after trying to develop an expertise in a field, you are drawn back to what really works.  In this case, running the damn football and stopping the run.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 1

27 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Lastly, who is the best coach in NFL history? Bill Bellichek.

Bellicheat's record when his teams have the QB widely regarded as the GOAT:

Wins a ton.

Bellicheat's record when his teams are NOT QB'ed by Brady:

78-83

It has become pretty obvious the past couple seasons that it's very easy to LOOK like a great coach when you have the best QB in football for 20 years. That is not the same as BEING the best coach in football history.

Don Shula and Chuck Knoll would like a word with you.

• Pie 2

On 12/12/2022 at 3:36 AM, Varking said:

The worry is you can’t keep winning like this long-term in a passing league. It’s fine if we get ahead but we haven’t shown we can pass the ball. 

Where is it written that because you are a defensive minded head coach that you can't score points?   How many winning HCs don't have a good OC.   Look at all the winning Head Coaches and you'll see that the majority, if not all, have a good OC.  

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Where is it written that because you are a defensive minded head coach that you can't score points?   How many winning HCs don't have a good OC.   Look at all the winning Head Coaches and you'll see that the majority, if not all, have a good OC.  

I never once said nor suggested we couldn’t score points with a good offensive coordinator. I suggested that if we got a good one, he would be gone in a couple years and we would be looking to replace that system of his and style of coaching that worked. Having an offensive minded coach like Reid helps because the OC can move on but the offense typically remains.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1