• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks refutes the media's perception that the Panthers "tried to tank this year"

Saca312

4 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

We won't. He very clearly said afterwards he meant things around the team, not from inside.

There's no way you can look at this team and think it's tanking. What decisions were made to do so?  Trading away our best offensive player? Ok, but he may have lowkey requested a trade (esp given where he ended up), and we had good backs behind him.  Refusing the Burns trade is 100% strong evidence we weren't trying to tank, as was firing Rhule.

How is HC and player changes outside the team?

Listen to the context.  The list is: coaching changes, player changes...our our organization trying to tank it.

Whatever.  He said it.  You are going to hear what you want.

He did backpedal, excuse me, clarify it 5-6 questions later on follow up. 

• Poo 2

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

There's no "the" there.

I could give you "Are our organization trying to tank it?"

But to me it sounds like "Our..our organization trying to tank it."

Either way he wasn't asked about tanking.  He listed HC and player changes and then talked about tanking.  He did backpedal 5-6 questions later.

He clearly says the and even if he didn’t, his tone clearly phrases the sentence as a question. Make of it as you will, it’s non-story.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, poundaway said:

There's no "the" there.

I could give you "Are our organization trying to tank it?"

But to me it sounds like "Our..our organization trying to tank it."

Either way he wasn't asked about tanking.  He listed HC and player changes and then talked about tanking.  He did backpedal 5-6 questions later.

Lol there is definitely a "the organization" in there. Its either "our the organization" or "are the organization" 

The entire first set of questions was about how the team overcame what was swirling around the team outside the players on the roster and overcame it. He's talking about the "its" being out there all the time to distract them.

And he later clarified what he meant.

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

How is HC and player changes outside the team?

Listen to the context.  The list is: coaching changes, player changes...our our organization trying to tank it.

Whatever.  He said it.  You are going to hear what you want.

He did backpedal, excuse me, clarify it 5-6 questions later on follow up. 

The players have no control over the HC changes. That is what he means by an "it".  Did you actually listen to the interview, or just the sound bite?

Just now, MillionDollarCam said:

By the time this is over, some of you will have written a novel on how Steve Wilks murdered Sir Purr. People are making poo up just for the fun of it I guess.

we're now arguing how many are/ours and the's are in a press conference of a coach that just won a game, lol. 

I can definitely see why Kunkel interpreted it the way he did. I’m glad Wilks clarified later.

Still don’t see why it would be a big deal anyway. “Tanking it” could just be the organization choosing to rebuild and reconstruct the staff and path they were on. Not actively trying to lose football games which is what would get us in hot water. 

I watched the presser and heard him say it. It definitely caught my attention but also think he just worded incorrectly in his explanation of things the players had going on. Joe Person of all people asked him a follow up question later about the comment where he clarified