• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's say the choice is....

Zod

1 hour ago, parker said:

The same number as the Patriots with a coach from a defensive background.  

Not talking about O vs D. The OP made the claim that nfl HC’s are just ‘relationship guys’. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The best HC’s know the game and are front and center when it comes to crafting strategies to win each game. 

McVay is an example of a HC that goes far beyond just strategy.

There’s a reason NFL owners go for the Belechick disciples, the guy down in Miami, etc. 

Its not for theirs interpersonal skills. They want a guy who can give the team an advantage in the X and O’s.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Not talking about O vs D. The OP made the claim that nfl HC’s are just ‘relationship guys’. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The best HC’s know the game and are front and center when it comes to crafting strategies to win each game. 

There’s a reason NFL owners go for the Belechick disciples, the guy down in Miami, etc. 

It’s not for theirs interpersonal skills. They want a guy who can give the team an advantage in the X and O’s.

Far from the truth. I’m a McVay homer, I’ve bought books that outline their scheme, watch all the Rams games. But as good of an offensive genius he is, he’s even a better leader. Why do you think Aaron Donald didn’t retire this year? He said because McVay didn’t. He and Les Snead have revolutionized the way players are scouted - they don’t even use the workouts or times as part of their report. He’s a leader because he puts his ego aside and learns from others. As another example, he hired longtime coach Wade Phillips when he got the job to learn from as a prior head coach and defensive knowledge. 

I’m a fan of his wide zone scheme and have listened to too many podcasts about their offense and would love a coach to bring that to Carolina. All that being said, we need to find the best coach for the Panthers. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Shanahan, McVay and even the Mike McDaniels types are great because of their playcalling, scheme, play design.  They all are X and O offensive minds.  They are successful because they put players in position to have success and maximize their talent.  They are the polar opposite of the Ron Rivera mold.  And the difference in those coaches isn’t about being able to lead a group of men.  Ron can get guys bought in and motivated.   He just can’t maximize their talent. 

Agree with your assessment here. If Wilks is considered for HC (which is likely a given), the choice of OC will be critical to whether he keeps the job IMO

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I would like to see Wilks remain as OC and would be OK with Reich as the offensive coordinator.  If we are going outside for a head coach my choice would be Shane Steichen.

Reich has ONE season of success as an OC!  One!  I do not know why people keep trying to jump on his bandwagon, but aside from the year Carson Wentz - Carson WENTZ - went and played out of his mind offenses with Reich as the OC have been 17th, 26th and 16th in scoring offense.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Reich has ONE season of success as an OC!  One!  I do not know why people keep trying to jump on his bandwagon, but aside from the year Carson Wentz - Carson WENTZ - went and played out of his mind offenses with Reich as the OC have been 17th, 26th and 16th in scoring offense.

Agreed.  His offenses on the Colts when he was HC were never very good either.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Far from the truth. I’m a McVay homer, I’ve bought books that outline their scheme, watch all the Rams games. But as good of an offensive genius he is, he’s even a better leader. Why do you think Aaron Donald didn’t retire this year? He said because McVay didn’t. He and Les Snead have revolutionized the way players are scouted - they don’t even use the workouts or times as part of their report. He’s a leader because he puts his ego aside and learns from others. As another example, he hired longtime coach Wade Phillips when he got the job to learn from as a prior head coach and defensive knowledge. 

I’m a fan of his wide zone scheme and have listened to too many podcasts about their offense and would love a coach to bring that to Carolina. All that being said, we need to find the best coach for the Panthers. 

So with all that said your answer was both.  Being a good leader is very important and hes also really good at scheming.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Of course leadership is important, but (again) the OP said leadership and relationship building was all a NFL HC does. He said X and Os are not a HC’s job.

We want both but it’s ridiculous to say X and Os are not a huge part of the job.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Yeah I don’t think our strategy of running the ball like it is 2003 is gonna work against the Cowboys if we make the playoffs. 
Darnold is gonna have to pass more than 19 times a game. And Trevon Diggs is licking his chops. 

Just an FYI. Sam threw the ball 24 times last week. And the earth is still turning.

3 hours ago, Tbe said:

Its not for theirs interpersonal skills. They want a guy who can give the team an advantage in the X and O’s.

Gotcha.  I might have gotten the topics mixed up.  I think a good coach has to be both.

7 hours ago, Jesse said:

Being a head coach in the NFL is not about X’s and O’s. It’s about managing and having a real relationship with players, appeasing to the front office, hiring quality coaches and making the right game time decisions. The reason you see people like Shanahan and McVay have a lot of success isn’t the playbook, but their leadership qualities. They hemorrhage coaches year in and year out because quality coaches who want to learn from the best coach under their leadership. 

Everyone runs essentially the same playbook, it’s just a matter of how it’s taught and conceptualized. So I don’t need to hear anyone talk about whoever because of their style of offense or playcalling abilities. Look at Sirianni in Philly - he gave up coordinating duties and the offense has exploded. 

Let’s say we get some great offensive mind but has a limpdick personality (Adam Gase in NY, Joe Philbin in Miami, MATT RHULE) and what do you have? There’s not a play book or scheme in the world that outclasses the culture and personality of a team. 

With that said, it’s  become more apparent each day that Wilks deserves this job. 

this is one of the most unhinged things ive ever read on this board. i dont even know where to start

• Pie 1

Ron Fox got most under a spell......... please use your memories about both and now apply those feelings to the current coach....

I spent the time and came to a decision that Shane Steichen was my one and only choice.....3 weeks before the mass media placed him as the top coaching prospect. 

Unless Ron Fox can win the nfc south along with 2 playoff wins, im firmly on the Steichen spaceship. Besides campy and tabor, there needs to be a whole new crew....including the strength group. I do not care for Al honeycomb as DC either, fine as a LB coach. Besides frank reich, who does ron fox know to hire as OC?? same for the following- TE, WR, RB, DL, LB, CB and most importantly OC?? What are his top 3 choices and when/if another team hires the OC away, what is his plan? 

With tepper at the head of his table, Im super worried..... 

10 hours ago, musicman said:

Wilks all the way. Who ever he brings in at OC, I am fine with. A decent draft with a couple of good FA signings and this team could ball. Next year: QB is Darnold, a 1st rd pick (develop) and Corral (lets see). He's got the team playing hard, the fans behind them, why disrupt that and roll the dice. Wilks is a class guy, even great with the media (doesn't say stupid things) and has them playing at a high level.

ngl personally i think corral could run this offense now.