• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1 on 1 Chuba interview.

Ivan The Awesome

Is it just me, or do the pro athletes in general seem significantly more media savy and well spoken on average than back in the 90's, 80's etc? I remember when I was a kid, the dumb jock of limited vocabulary seemed the norm, with witty guys like Charles Barkley standing out. These days it seems like most players if not the soul of wit are at least able to share their thoughts intelligently and come across as increasingly engaging and relatable.

I can see various factors contributing to this, but the bottom line for me is that interviews like this are more worth the watch than they used to be.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

47 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Is it just me, or do the pro athletes in general seem significantly more media savy and well spoken on average than back in the 90's, 80's etc? I remember when I was a kid, the dumb jock of limited vocabulary seemed the norm, with witty guys like Charles Barkley standing out. These days it seems like most players if not the soul of wit are at least able to share their thoughts intelligently and come across as increasingly engaging and relatable.

I can see various factors contributing to this, but the bottom line for me is that interviews like this are more worth the watch than they used to be.

Pretty sure players get media training.

Also he's Canadian and Canadians tend to be more savvy and articulate 😝

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Pretty sure players get media training.

Also he's Canadian and Canadians tend to be more savvy and articulate 😝

Also, I think the days of a decent athlete never having to enter a classroom are over. I think even Chapel Hill basketball players have to pretend to be students occasionally nowadays.

Edited by Khaki Lackey
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Also, I think the days of a decent athlete never having to enter a classroom are over. I think even Chapel Hill basketball players have to pretend to be a students sometimes nowadays.

This is so true. The days of  Spud Webb coming out and explaining the he received a degree and is functionally illiterate are pretty much over. Almost all of these young men are educated, capable and more rounded individuals than ever before.

And so very many of them are excellent role models for more than just their athletic prowess. 

And dang, Chuba is just a likeable fellow. Good to see him also developing as a player. 

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Different game and requires different skills. Players are way more educated and smart now and that's why the game is more complex. 

• Beer 1