• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steichen as HC

DaveThePanther2008

Oh look. Another post about an upcoming OC, who has reaped the benefits of the previous coaching staff and jumped in on their draft picks only to be seen as the next coming of Sean McVay only to realize the dude has less than 10 years experience in the NFL has even less as an OC and zero as a head coach.

Watch who wins the super bowl bet he isn't someone like this guy.

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking something fresh and new. Especially in Carolina. But let's not be naive, and stop expecting some guy to come in and re-invent the wheel. Head Coach is only a part of a big ass shepherds pie. And if one thing ain't right it all turns out to be a big slopping almost inedible mess.

Give me a guy with enough experience, but still young enough to have energy, who maybe got dealt a bad card, and who still found some success at their position. Who comes from a winning pedigree, who oozes a particular confidence that would lead to a culture.

Not just some guy that draws X's and O's. There is just so much more to the sport than offense. And play calling. And people who see it that way just don't know the game.

3 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Oh look. Another post about an upcoming OC, who has reaped the benefits of the previous coaching staff and jumped in on their draft picks only to be seen as the next coming of Sean McVay only to realize the dude has less than 10 years experience in the NFL has even less as an OC and zero as a head coach.

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking something fresh and new. Especially in Carolina. But let's not be naive, and stop expecting some guy to come in and re-invent the wheel. Head Coach is only a part of a big ass shepherds pie. And if one thing ain't right it all turns out to be a big slopping almost inedible mess.

Give me a guy with enough experience, but still young enough to have energy, who maybe got dealt a bad card, and who still found some success at their position. Who comes from a winning pedigree, who oozes a particular confidence that would lead to a culture.

Not just some guy that draws X's and O's. There is just so much more to the sport than offense. And play calling. And people who see it that way just don't know the game.

Whose to say the bloke can’t run a side I’d rather a bloke who can game plan and draw up plays over a ra ra guy who can’t adapt or adjust 

• Pie 3

8 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

The guy with the most recent Lombardi had just that.  Even the guy that HC'd the opposing team as well.  You have to take a chance. 

Sirianni had zero HC experience at any level before coming to Philly. McVay zero as well.  Same with Kevin O'Connell & Zac Taylor.   Those four pretty much fit that bolded criteria to a tee.  Just saying.  You're asking for something so specific, you're going to miss out on the big shark all together.

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 3

15 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

The guy with the most recent Lombardi had just that.  Even the guy that HC'd the opposing team as well.  You have to take a chance. 

Sirianni had zero HC experience at any level before coming to Philly. McVay zero as well.  Same with Kevin O'Connell & Zac Taylor.   Those four pretty much fit that bolded criteria to a tee.  Just saying.  You're asking for something so specific, you're going to miss out on the big shark all together.

I think people get way too caught up on who won the Super Bowl and how to imitate that.  We need a staff that can develop a QB since we don't have one and get the most out of our players to get our team to be a constant playoff threat.  Once we are there we can tweak the roster/assistants as needed to make a deep playoff run.  Step 1 is making the playoffs, 2 is making them consistently (which usually requires a franchise QB), 3 is making a Super Bowl run.  It's though to go from constantly picking in the top 10 to Super Bowl run in the blink of an eye.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think people get way too caught up on who won the Super Bowl and how to imitate that.  We need a staff that can develop a QB since we don't have one and get the most out of our players to get our team to be a constant playoff threat.  Once we are there we can tweak the roster/assistants as needed to make a deep playoff run.  Step 1 is making the playoffs, 2 is making them consistently (which usually requires a franchise QB), 3 is making a Super Bowl run.  It's though to go from constantly picking in the top 10 to Super Bowl run in the blink of an eye.

It's just like the QB situation.  

People are wanting such an idealized person in the spot when you simply have to look at the reality, and take a chance on the one you like the best for the role out of what's available.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think people get way too caught up on who won the Super Bowl and how to imitate that.  

100% agree. I know it is the "ultimate goal" but there's one winner a year. That simply too small of a sample size to use it as the sole or even most important criteria in a discussion, but I feel like we do that in many times.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Winning the SB is goal # 1. I get what you're saying but I personally would start at keeping that goal 1 and then go look at those that have what you said because it us improtant.

We did competent and likeable people who were committed to proving the past is still a viable option but those people are not winning SBs in the last 10 years right? I have been kicking myself because i wanted to list the last 10 years of winners and their HC backgrounds. On a browse it was heavey in favor offensive and strategy guys. That should matter in this conversation.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Winning the SB is goal # 1. I get what you're saying but I personally would start at keeping that goal 1 and then go look at those that have what you said because it us improtant.

We did competent and likeable people who were committed to proving the past is still a viable option but those people are not winning SBs in the last 10 years right? I have been kicking myself because i wanted to list the last 10 years of winners and their HC backgrounds. On a browse it was heavey in favor offensive and strategy guys. That should matter in this conversation.

If you build a team that is constantly in the playoffs your odds are greater at winning it all.  You can make tweaks and adjustments as needed.  Look at the Rams, McVay was constantly in the playoffs with Goff then he traded for Stafford plus signed Von Miller to get his ring.  

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

If you build a team that is constantly in the playoffs your odds are greater at winning it all.  You can make tweaks and adjustments as needed.  Look at the Rams, McVay was constantly in the playoffs with Goff then he traded for Stafford plus signed Von Miller to get his ring.  

Rams would be worst case IMO but that also has a lot to do with how they trade for tallent and not draft enough. Hackett's red flag was he was in GB with Rogers and it's looking like it was a lot of Roger so he went and got Wilson who is in fact not Rogers. The 2 OCs in the top of the discussion are working with less and making it look good much like Daboll in NY. I like that guy, came in and didn't shoot himelf in the foot tryibg to make year 1 perfect and is taking a huge step this year in opening his options next year.

I want a long term build built on sustainable success move but I still feel part of that is an offinsive HC who has shown they can make the most of the guys they have. It's like with QBs, you have to take a swing and be as smart about it as you can.

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Thoughts on who you would want that checks all of these boxes?