• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilkes respected around the league. Will be someone's head coach next year.

panthers55

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

The problem with this is that great, 'perfect' if you will since that's usually how the saying goes, is absolutely the goal in the NFL - Super Bowl win = the perfect outcome. Good enough is how we get a decade each of Fox and Ron, and being satisfied with good enough turns teams into perennial also-rans.

I'm not saying that Wilks is not a good coach and/or leader. Rather, if the team braintrust (and not just Tepper, because he seems a football idiot) believe another candidate can achieve that perfect based on actual NFL-level expertise and analysis, then that is what is needed.

I don’t disagree with this. I think most of it is the way each of us rates the job Wilks has done. Some lean more to great (probably where I’m at outside of a collapse the last two games), and some lean more to good or average. 

Fox and Rivera had great moments but you have to know when to move on when things get stale. 

6 hours ago, panthers55 said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article270047637.html?mc_cid=d2764fa6dc&mc_eid=6cc597ae4d

The article discusses how other coaches see Wilkes and the job he has done changing the culture back to what is was during our last run in 2013 -2015.  If the Panthers don't offer him the job there may be other suitors who better recognize his ability to lead men and get the best out of them. He is apparently well respected around the league.

Well, it's Teppers decision.  How do you think it will go?  Probably not good.

I found a quote from Wilks after the game that I REALLY liked, because it shows he actually pays attention to what's happening around the league and applies it.

“We’re not sexy,” interim coach Steve Wilks (5-5, stunningly) told me post-game. “We’re not the classic NFL team that’s going to throw it all over the place. But like I’ve told [offensive coordinator] Ben McAdoo, there’s nothing more demoralizing to a defense than not being able to stop the run.” The Panthers, lately, have added some misdirection and more motion to the run game because, as Wilks said, “You look around the league, and you see window-dressing and misdirection causes problems for the defense in the run game.”

That quote alone tells me 2 things.

1) He's looking around the league at what teams are doing and applying it to better his team. That's a great sign of a coach willing to adapt.

2) He's not stuck in a certain mindset that "players just have to execute". He's trying new things and adding wrinkles WELL INTO the season. For an interim coach, that's impressive.

• Pie 6

2 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

Your other points are fair, but the only reason any of these last of the season games are meaningful in the least is the dumpsterfire of a division we are in.

He can’t do anything about that 

he is 5 and 5…with a dumpster fire of a team

he was put in the position and took what he had and for the most part got them to perform 

honestly, take away that officiating poo  show in Atlanta and he leads the division 

Edited by raleigh-panther

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

He can’t do anything about that 

he is 5 and 5…with a dumpster fire of a team

he was put in the position and took what he had and for the most part got them to perform 

honestly, take away that officiating poo  show in Atlanta and he leads the division 

i blame eddie for the first atl game, but the D was terrible as well. Still 3 shots at winning and eddie had his worst game of his career...

• Pie 1

Don't know Tepper's thinking, but I think if Wilks gets us into the postseason, he's our HC. If we miss the playoffs, he will look to hire one of the young OCs and/or take one more hail mary at an uninterested (supposedly) Sean Payton. 

If Wilks was the HC from game one, we're a playoff team, IMO. I also don't think the potential candidates that will be available for HC are head and shoulders above Wilks. As long as McAdoo isn't his OC, I think we will be a very good team in two years. 

Some of you guys should be checked for whiplash. Many of you were ready to show him the door last week after Pittsburgh.

I still don't know. I worry it's just the comfort of familiarity and the fact that we've been so bad for so long that mediocrity looks like a vast improvement, and let's be honest, we've been mediocre since he took over. That's not a slight, or a compliment, we're just an inconsistent team week to week.

So I dunno. I worry/wonder about the coordinators that Wilks would put together. I'd prefer we interview a few guys and let whoever has the best idea for the franchise moving forward, do so.

• Pie 3

54 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Some of you guys should be checked for whiplash. Many of you were ready to show him the door last week after Pittsburgh.

I still don't know. I worry it's just the comfort of familiarity and the fact that we've been so bad for so long that mediocrity looks like a vast improvement, and let's be honest, we've been mediocre since he took over. That's not a slight, or a compliment, we're just an inconsistent team week to week.

So I dunno. I worry/wonder about the coordinators that Wilks would put together. I'd prefer we interview a few guys and let whoever has the best idea for the franchise moving forward, do so.

Well…there is mediocre and there is what the Panthers were with Rhule..tragically abysmal

5 hours ago, Castavar said:

I found a quote from Wilks after the game that I REALLY liked, because it shows he actually pays attention to what's happening around the league and applies it.

That quote alone tells me 2 things.

1) He's looking around the league at what teams are doing and applying it to better his team. That's a great sign of a coach willing to adapt.

2) He's not stuck in a certain mindset that "players just have to execute". He's trying new things and adding wrinkles WELL INTO the season. For an interim coach, that's impressive.

The issue is it’s one dimensional. The Steelers just stacked the box and shut it down. Oline got confused and Darnold got sacked and shook up.

Darnold making poor decisions despite having an elite arm, and our receivers being trash not able to get separation consistently can easily be exploited by playoff caliber teams.

Thats the issue. Once those roll outs y Darnold are shut down along with stacking the box Wilks won’t be able to ‘throw it all over the place’ even when defenses are playing man and leaving huge gaps. And that’s a problem. Superior coaches like Tomlin will dismantle that.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, onmyown said:

The issue is it’s one dimensional. The Steelers just stacked the box and shut it down. Oline got confused and Darnold got sacked and shook up.

Darnold making poor decisions despite having an elite arm, and our receivers being trash not able to get separation consistently can easily be exploited by playoff caliber teams.

Thats the issue. Once those roll outs y Darnold are shut down along with stacking the box Wilks won’t be able to ‘throw it all over the place’ even when defenses are playing man and leaving huge gaps. And that’s a problem. Superior coaches like Tomlin will dismantle that.

I think you're missing the point. We are only running our offense like this because Wilks inherited the remains of Rhule's constructed team. He doesn't even has his own hand picked coaches. But despite all that, he's still willing to learn and adjust on the fly and applying it a week later (as seen with all the misdirection and motion we hadn't seen in weeks prior). Wilks is doing a hell of a job considering the circumstances.

Now, does that mean he is the one that will lead us to a superbowl? Who knows. But he is showing signs of a good coach that can catch up to what the league is doing.

• Pie 3

For those giving mcAdoo credit.. you might want to listen to Wilk’s presser yesterday. He specifically shared that Jeff Nixon has been our run game coordinator and Tabor has been serving as an offensive assistant as well. He made the change a few weeks backs and never looked back. 

sounds like McAdoo has been getting help doing hiS job. So the offensive performance is not solely McAdoo.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 5

10 hours ago, onmyown said:

I think your concerns speak more to the limitations of the roster, specifically the QB position, than to the HC. As others have pointed out, so far he's making do with what he has been handed midseason. You are right that that is not the same as going to toe to toe with playoff caliber teams, but at this point, is that a fair expectation of him given the circumstances? 

We won't really start to get a better feel for any such limitations until next season at a minimum, when he's had the chance to build a coaching roster of his choosing, have some input on the roster, and at least the possibility of going with a non retread QB.

He may prove to be a coach long on motivation and character and short on effective gameplans against quality competition, or not. As of this moment, it's impossible to fairly say.

• Beer 3