• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson shedding some light about Rhule and Wilks.

Ivan The Awesome

Between the whole OOU ("one of us") thing and this report, I think the most definitive takeaway as an outsider is that Rhule was out of his depth & clearly stubborn about it.  Drew a line in the sand for who would be his yes men.  That will naturally divide a locker room.  Older guys knew he was out of his depth and rather than Rhule owning what he could learn and growing bonds with them, he distanced, found his guys who wouldn't question him, and made it awkward.  

The vet referenced clearly was Gilmore (at a minimum).  I can see many older vets who probably tried to tell him how certain things are done at this level and Rhule completely ignored them.  Not taking their experience and recommendations into consideration.  It seems that they were isolated and it was a really awkward & divided locker room.  Weird tension, maybe no outward spats, but just a lack of accountability as Rhule didn't seem to know how to react with 5+ year vet type guys, like at all.   

There is something awesome to how much guys like Luke and Greg want to stay a part of this organization.  Yet, I think it's true they did seem to step back during peak Rhule.  

Even generally speaking, organization wise, it is freaking awesome Gross, Delhomme, Olsen, & Luke are such cogs in our franchise.  They want to stay around which is helping build some great culture & legacy.  Let's get a guy who will embrace that.

• Pie 3

11 hours ago, joemac said:

Matt Rhule is the single worst thing to ever happen to the Panthers. This roster, even with all the trades and QB problems, is a playoff roster. Rhule just chucklefuged the entire operation for almost 3 season. fug that asshole. 

Let's agree to disagree...but if I were ranking:

Carruth

Tepper

Rhule

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, onmyown said:

Tepper needs to take a long look in the mirror and admit he does not possess the judgment or ability to call shots like he has been and humble himself to looking for help. That includes NOT being lazy and sticking with wilks barring a playoff win. Because he likely isn’t the answer. The sooner he does that the quicker we can turn around. 

He is inept. he’s solidified the worst stretch in franchise history. One more move like Rhule and you can bet the culture will engrained itself and there will be a point of no return. The browns have done it, lions too. And at that point, it’s incredibly hard to turn things around.

I hope, if/when Wilks is retained, a number of posters decide to take a break from the boards. Sparing the rest of us a repeat of the same copy and pasted argument, they've been posting for the past couple of months.

“I think a lot of guys was just 50-50,” he said. “You had a lot of guys who bought in, and you can tell guys who weren’t bought in. And a lot of stuff was just going unseen—just kicked under the rug.

“It was one game I came in, I snapped on somebody, man. ‘Cause we down bad and we losing and somebody walk in with some headphones. And the coaches was just letting it go. Like, bro, we in a game. And you’re just allowing people to come in here and do what they want. And I just didn’t see a lot of respect.”

“I would say just a lot of accountability,” Thompson said of the difference between Rhule’s and Wilks’ teams. “I think that’s one of the biggest things with Wilks. He gon’ call us out in front of everybody. And I’m not saying Matt Rhule didn’t.

“But coming from somebody who’s been in the league ‘X’ amount of years and who coached in the league ‘X’ amount of years—T.O., as you know—a lot of players respect that a lot more than having somebody from college coming up and trying to tell people who been in the league six, seven, eight years, a defense, a MVP, a All-Pro player and not listening to these guys—who understand football, who understand the league, who been on Super Bowl teams, who won ’em.”

• Pie 1

22 hours ago, Castavar said:

Rhule came in, shooed away Panther legends, tried to erase the Panther culture of keep pounding, all in only 3 years. Worst HC in NFL history.

I might never forgive Tepper for this decision unless he fixes this sh*t quick. He’s LUCKY Wilks is coaching his ass off. 

• Beer 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:12 AM, mav1234 said:

He's a new owner. Mistakes happen.

He needs to get the next hire right.

New owner is not an excuse, as Rhule was such an obvious bad gamble and the contract was absurd. Tepper was the emperor with no clothes and though he was smarter than the rest of the NFL.

Just now, KSpan said:

New owner is not an excuse, as Rhule was such an obvious bad gamble and the contract was absurd. Tepper was the emperor with no clothes and though he was smarter than the rest of the NFL.

What do you mean? Rhule was viewed as one of the hotter candidates and he was expected to be offered the Giants job, as well. 

14 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

What do you mean? Rhule was viewed as one of the hotter candidates and he was expected to be offered the Giants job, as well. 

The media hype was just dumb given his weak track record, and there's a reason other teams like the Jets were connected with reports that they were concerned he would bring in all of his college buddies. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened and, lo and behold, Rhule was awful. 

The train wreck was very easy to see coming.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1