• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So the Titans giving up on Malik Willis already?

GoobyPls

What you'll see with many guys not drafted high, thrusted in early on, that don't click immediately:

• The only completions they can muster are screens, quick slants and bail outs while scrambling
  • Constantly floating post and seam routes, INTs or incompletions galore
  • Aren't standing tall in the pocket and finding a guy downfield with creation if their life depended on it
  • Have no awareness or pocket presence
  • Happy feet galore
  • The ball just seems heavy, no velocity 
  • They somehow visibly shrink and the field seems huge sideline to sideline

Some can respond and get better but that's like 28 times out of 30, often, not the case.  That's just the reality.  We got a guy with the 94th pick in the draft, it's a long shot but you're seeing what happens when you put these guys in.  There's a reason mostly every team passed multiple times.  

The company--

Ryan Mallett, Cody Kessler, Garrett Grayson, Kellen Mond, Nick Foles, Davis Mills, Will Grier, Mason Rudolph, Davis Webb, CJ Beathard, Jacoby Brissett, Sean Mannion, Mike Glennon, Russell Wilson, Kevin O'Connell, Trent Edwards, I think you get the picture.  

I'd rather set expectations super low with Matt and still keep looking for the best QB possible.  

• Pie 6

17 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

What you'll see with many guys not drafted high, thrusted in early on, that don't click immediately:

• The only completions they can muster are screens, quick slants and bail outs while scrambling
  • Constantly floating post and seam routes, INTs or incompletions galore
  • Aren't standing tall in the pocket and finding a guy downfield with creation if their life depended on it
  • Have no awareness or pocket presence
  • Happy feet galore
  • The ball just seems heavy, no velocity 
  • They somehow visibly shrink and the field seems huge sideline to sideline

Some can respond and get better but that's like 28 times out of 30, often, not the case.  That's just the reality.  We got a guy with the 94th pick in the draft, it's a long shot but you're seeing what happens when you put these guys in.  There's a reason mostly every team passed multiple times.  

The company--

Ryan Mallett, Cody Kessler, Garrett Grayson, Kellen Mond, Nick Foles, Davis Mills, Will Grier, Mason Rudolph, Davis Webb, CJ Beathard, Jacoby Brissett, Sean Mannion, Mike Glennon, Russell Wilson, Kevin O'Connell, Trent Edwards, I think you get the picture.  

I'd rather set expectations super low with Matt and still keep looking for the best QB possible.  

I like this Bear Hands person. Thoughtful post. 

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I think the actual point of this thread isn't "ha ha, Willis lovers were wrong" or "something something Corral" or "project etc etc" or "Willis sucks" ...

The point is that the Titans can still make the Playoffs and pulled Willis for a guy off a practice squad.

Nah it’s just another premature overreaction post calling a rookie a bust. 

3 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Willis might fail. Chances are more likely that he will fail (which means not being a long term starter) than making it. 

Same goes for Corral, who I’m documented as liking a lot. That’s just the way it is. Most guys don’t make it as capable long term starters. 

But it’s too early for Willis who was clearly a raw athlete. And it’s even earlier for Corral who played less than a game of preseason. 

You can take the route of calling every rookie QB terrible, and statistically you will be correct more often, but it won’t be from any special insight or evaluation ability, but rather just probability. 

It’s just way too fuging early. Gotta have some patience. 

I agree with you to a great extent, but a few tried to tell people pre-draft that Willis was way too raw and that it was frankly ludicrous to consider him on day 1, 2, or at all. As big of a fan as I am of Corral, even I said that he would need development (which he didn't get at all). The same with Justin Fields or any QB transitioning to the pros. It's ultimately guesswork, but there are things that one can gather from college tape, circumstances and context. That's what serious and critical analysis is all about. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Does anyone hate Corral?? I think there are people who are high on him and people who think the odds are against him. Getting drafted in the 3rd and going on IR plus a new staff makes it hard for the staff to bank on him as a legit option going forward. 

I'm not a Corral booster, but it is fair to point out that some of the same folks saying we need to withhold judgment on Willis after multiple games played and started have already conclusively written off Corral based on a few series in preseason.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I agree with you to a great extent, but a few tried to tell people pre-draft that Willis was way too raw and that it was frankly ludicrous to consider him on day 1, 2, or at all. As big of a fan as I am of Corral, even I said that he would need development (which he didn't get at all). The same with Justin Fields or any QB transitioning to the pros. It's ultimately guesswork, but there are things that one can gather from college tape, circumstances and context. That's what serious and critical analysis is all about. 

And I agree with an equal amount of great extent with this!

It’s tough to be patient as a fan. In the end all we see (for the most part) is Sundays. But these are basically kids physically and mentally adapting to the pros. Not everyone is a Cam. It takes time. 

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Seven games (three starts), 42.8 passer rating, 50.8 completion percentage, zero TDs, 3 INTs, 4.5 yards per completion, 17 is his long, zero 100 yard games and a 12.1 QBR...That's rough to conceive from a guy on any level of football. 

Was Sam Darnold ever this bad even in his Jets days?

3 hours ago, chbright said:

This time last year and throughout the draft process, there were a bunch of folks hyping him as a 1st rounder here and around the net........ Think we can answer why he wasn't a 1st rounder pretty conclusively now. Can he read a D, hell no. Accurate, hell no. I doubt he is athletically superior compared to NFL guys to skate by like he did at liberty. Can a good coach get more out of him now, maybe but he's really limited right now. 

Maybe he develops, maybe he doesn't, but he had 0 business as a 1st as he is lightyears away from being a spot starter or more than a gimmick player. Even with the great king Henry and that monstrous run game, he hasn't been even a good game manager. He was a lotto ticket with low odds, but like a lotto ticket, if he pans out at QB you got  low cost for a high return player. If not it was, by NFL standards, a low entry cost you burned.

MC is our lotto ticket. Likely doesn't pan out, but buying them in the 3rd or later is fine. Even if they are a good backup, backups make good $ in today's game. So a rookie contract for a backup QB isn't a bad thing to have. See Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby brisset, teddy Bridgewater, and cheapy Chase Daniels contracts for backup comparison. I'm sure there are others for less, but vets there take up a good chunk for well a backup break in case of emergency type.player.

A sub 700k contract for a guy that's normally in the 3-8 range (only a good backup to spot starter or bad starter $) isn't bad economics. That's the hope teams have after the 1st 2 rounds, finding cheap backups and glimmer of hope good starters.

At least Corral played at a high level against SEC competition. Willis couldn’t hack it at Auburn.

• Flames 1