• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The letdown is disappointing but it's good for the future

LinvilleGorge

4 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Looks like we are picking 8 or possibly 7 almost certainly unless we win next week.  Our pick will plummet if we do which would be a horrible development 

Should be an interesting call next week as to who will QB.

If we see PJ out there, then we know the Tank is on.

But then PJ throws for 3 TDs.   You know that's going to happen, right?  😂

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, it sucks. But this has to happen. We can't afford to give away 10+ draft spots to win this trash division and get blasted at home in the wildcard round. Love Wilks, but I don't think he's the answer long-term. Darnold seems like a great dude and he can look great at times but any reasonable person realizes he's not the long-term answer.

This organization needs a total reset. Lucking into winning an all-time putrid division would've been a massive setback for the future. It's about the future. There's a lot to work with on the roster. We need a QB, another pass rusher, CB depth, and another WR opposite Moore. That's a lot better than this time last year when it looked like we needed a whole damn football organization. 

The funny thing is ... some of us have been saying this exact thing ... for weeks and weeks and weeks. Well, funny to me. I was one of those people. Now that some of you and your Exciting January dreams have been smashed ... welcome to reality, guys! Let's hope we LOSE next week. We want to stay at six wins.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

The funny thing is ... some of us have been saying this exact thing ... for weeks and weeks and weeks. Well, funny to me. I was one of those people. Now that some of you and your Exciting January dreams have been smashed ... welcome to reality, guys! Let's hope we LOSE next week. We want to stay at six wins.

Do you know who you're taking to? I've been focused on the draft since before Halloween. 😂

It was nice to actually play a meaningful game in January for a change. It was nice to see us playing better than we have since Rhule was hired. But the truth is Wilks would make a great DC, but this team needs to have an offensive minded HC, something we have NEVER had.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

That sounds too rich for anyone's blood, tbh.

But here's another Question for you :

After what we've seen, is it beneficial to keep Sam as a backup/Bridge or dump him?  

Question wasn’t directed to me but, with no other QB’s on the roster that have shown backup or bridge QB potential, don’t you have to resign Sam to a cap friendly 1 or 2 year contract?  If team cuts him, we enter training camp with Corral, a draft pick and what FA QB?  Who out there is a better ‘budget friendly’ alternative?  Carr?  Minshew?  

• Pie 1

The best part of today's loss is that's it will be much easier to trade up with a high pick if that's what we try to do. We'll probably be picking at 6 or 7 if all goes our way. Teams will see that spot much more highly than where we would've picked had we made the Playoffs. Swap first round picks and give them next year's first too, and go for the ultimate gamble at QB.

Or, just stick with Sam and Matt ... or trade for Carr and keep on being the same old Panthers.

Or, trade away some of those top picks we got for Burns ... oops!

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, klumme said:

True. But pretty much every thing he has done here has failed in one way or the other. 

Hired Rhule and gave him a monster contract
Fired Rhule way to late
Let Hurney stay 
The soccer nonsens
The field
The training facility thing
The way he tried getting ride of the Keep Pounding

As of right now, he is shitty owner, so sorry to say letting him picking another HC worries me.

Eh.  Rhule was a mistake, 2.25 seasons felt like 1.25 seasons too long, but he actually seemed decent and like he had potential to grow after that first season.  We dont want an owner that just gives up after one bad season either, it's a balancing act.  So I'm definitely willing to give the Rhule fiasco a huge L. 

Waiting too long to fire Hurney, yea that sucked too, but he probably just wanted some continuity and could point at all the greats Hurney drafted in the first round to justify letting him stay one extra year.  All us fans knew how terrible Hurney is, but there was enough fools gold mixed in his resume it was understandable to me.  So yea, an L but an understandable one.

The field, that's a lot of teams these days.  Just the way it seems to be going.

The training facility thing was on the city of Rock Hill, he just reacted like a business man.  I don't hold that against him, especially since it doesn't exactly directly influence the team.

Soccer, I have no clue.  Especially since it doesn't affect the Panthers.

I was under the impression the Keep Pounding thing was Rhule.  If it was Tepper, then that sucks, probably just him trying to push the team away from the Richardson culture, which I appreciate, but doing it the wrong way.

So, in my opinion (and of course I don't begrudge you yours), he made a mistake with the first round of management hires (letting Rivera and Hurney stay too long and hiring Rhule), but that's it.  And I'm willing to keep an open mind after one series of interconnected mistakes.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

It was nice to actually play a meaningful game in January for a change. It was nice to see us playing better than we have since Rhule was hired. But the truth is Wilks would make a great DC, but this team needs to have an offensive minded HC, something we have NEVER had.

I would expect someone who would make a great DC to at very least make sure we had a safety over top of Evans at all times after he'd already torched us deep twice.

Honestly, the D got worse after Snow was fired, quit, or whatever.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would expect someone who would make a great DC to at very least make sure we had a safety over top of Evans at all times after he'd already torched us deep twice.

Honestly, the D got worse after Snow was fired, quit, or whatever.

I saw a stat that showed since Sam became the starter, we had the biggest increase in offensive efficiency in the league.  Obviously this is on the Oline also, but Sam has been playing the best ball of his career.  McAdoo IMHO has called some good games too since Sam has taken over.

The flip side is that the defensive efficiency plummeted by the 2nd highest amount.  Al Holcomb may be Wilks' friend, and I know Luke & TD are fans from way back, but he hasn't done a good job, especially over the past month. Absolutely inexcusable to have CJ & Taylor man-to-man on Evans after being burned multiple times.  Honestly, almost all the big changes this year have been to the offensive side of the ball, and they got better while the defense got worse.

If Wilks is retained, I'm certainly ok with dumping McAdoo, but Holcomb definitely deserves to see the door, too.

I'd be cool with Wilks if he can convince Frank Reich to come here and find a good DC.  I think Wilks is a good HC in terms of leading the team and being respected, but he needs to be lining up top-notch coordinators if he wants the job here or elsewhere.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

FTR, I'm fine retaining Darnold for food backup money. Seems like a great guy in the locker room and he could be a good bridge to a rookie if need be so we're not forced to play a rookie before he's ready.

Matt Moore. He is Matt Moore. 

Career backup who can start stretches if needed but folds as “The Guy”

• Pie 2