• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The competent thing to do.

1of10Charnatives

Pop quiz:

When facing Tom Brady on his home turf in a game that is the season for both teams and with a depleted secondary, the competent thing to do is:

A) Only rush 3 and drop everyone else into coverage, telling yourself that although this has spelled disaster for every team that's tried it against Brady for 20 years, this time it will work for you, because you might be conservative, but gosh darn it, you've got character.

B) Do literally anything else predicated on the understanding that as sure as the sky is blue, water is wet and women have secrets, if you don't get to Brady, he will pick your young secondary of limited physical abilities apart throwing to his Pro Bowl receivers. Blitz or die.

• Pie 6
  • The D 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Blitz him and he'll find the open spot and pick you apart anyway, though.

The best way to deal with Brady tends to be to generate pressure with four rushers if you can.

If you can't, it's likely just gonna be a "pick your poison" thing.

I'm not saying the odds are great with either option. 

I'm saying there is 20 years worth of tape that a competent coaching staff would be aware of demonstrating that sitting back and hoping you can get there when it didn't happen in the first half has a mathematical probably of success difficult to distinguish from zero.

Most of the time I agree he's going to find the open spot and pick you apart, but to anyone who doesn't believe in magic pixie dust and Santa Clause, it's the only chance you've got.

• Pie 4
  • The D 1

3 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I'm not saying the odds are great with either option. 

I'm saying there is 20 years worth of tape that a competent coaching staff would be aware of demonstrating that sitting back and hoping you can get there when it didn't happen in the first half has a mathematical probably of success difficult to distinguish from zero.

Most of the time I agree he's going to find the open spot and pick you apart, but to anyone who doesn't believe in magic pixie dust and Santa Clause, it's the only chance you've got.

After which you've got people screaming "Why did we blitz when we knew Brady would dissect us like that? We should have kept more guys in coverage!"

It's just a no-win situation.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

After which you've got people screaming "Why did we blitz when we knew Brady would dissect us like that? We should have kept more guys in coverage!"

It's just a no-win situation.

Disagree.

it's a no chance of success vs a small chance of success decision. Two of TB's best olinemen are just working back in after lengthy injury.  Can your edge rushers win their one on one matchups with their tackles? If the answer in the first half is no, how do you tell yourself if you're competent, that sitting back in the second half in a close game when your run game isn't able to keep Brady off the field will work out for you in the end.

You had one chance and one chance only, keep bringing the heat and hope doing so was able to generate one or two game changing turnovers.

Tell me I'm wrong when your other option was hope Taylor would be able to keep Mike Evans in check while your 3 man rush gave Brady time to order a pizza and eat it before throwing.

This is one of the core problems with conservative coaches. They almost never recognize when the small percentage gambit is still their best option, and retreat into tried and true zero percentage moves because they're "safe".

• Pie 2

I hate brady. I think I've hinted around at that in here.

But he's the goat for a reason. When he's on, you can't stop him. Few have been able to. He's not on as much as he used to be, but he's shown several times this season that when it's clicking for him, he's still the goat.

Sunday it was clicking at it was on and we were down a couple necessary parts from being able to hope to stop him. It was just a bad day to have it click on for him again.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

And possibly double cover Mike Evans in every game. Don't stick a slow third string DB on him.

Just saying.

We lost that game, in the end, because of Jaycee Horn's injury. 

That’s how good that kid is, just think if he still had Gilmore. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Blitz him and he'll find the open spot and pick you apart anyway, though.

The best way to deal with Brady tends to be to generate pressure with four rushers if you can.

If you can't, it's likely just gonna be a "pick your poison" thing.

Rush hard and fast at the start.  He seems to get flustered.  But, TB has some big linemen to go through.  Brady needs to retire and have a good life.