• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike McDaniel

NAS

Brilliant offensive mind with a Shanny influence - check

Helped improve/mold young QB - check

NFL HC experience - check

I can't see Miami doing this, but if it is done, he has to be the top candidate for us. Let's all be Jets fans this weekend, so the Phins will finish 8-9....and add some more fuel to this fire.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, joemac said:

Brilliant offensive coach, but can't coach defense to save his life.  Would need a STRONG D-coordinator for whatever next job he had....maybe someone like Steve Wilks lol?

Where did we get the idea that Wilks is a strong DC?  He's not.  Wilks is a motivator, a man-manager . . . just like Rivera.  

Wilks had the opportunity to work on a staff with Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott for FIVE YEARS.  How many people remember how badly our defense tailed off in the second half of that season where Wilks was our DC?  It was bad.  People figured him out, and in a shocking twist, Wilks couldn't make adjustments.

Wilks is an exceptional DB's coach.  Never forget this.  He is among the best in the business at it.  However, forcing more on him at the NFL level isn't a great path to success.  As a college head coach, Wilks could likely be outstanding.  But his lack of X's and O's will hold him back forever in the NFL.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Firing McDaniel would be an insanely premature rash decision on the heels of a solid first season.  But I also think he's being a little overhyped in here.  The Dolphins have lost 5 straight after an 8-3 start to the season and went from a top-3 AFC playoff seed to being on the verge of missing the playoffs altogether.  As Panthers fans, we are all too familiar with those late-season collapses involving loss after loss after loss and how important coaching factors into that.  Yeah Tua has been injured, but Teddy is a top-tier back-up and you'd hope an offensive guru like McDaniel would still be able to manage temporarily with Teddy + Tyreek Hill + Waddle.

As an OC, I'd be thinking "daaaamn *Mc*Daniel" (stupid zoomer reference) and that he's pretty top-tier.  But as a HC, you're responsible for the whole team not just the offense.  And at the end of the day, the Dolphins this year have progressed leaps and bounds on offense (having the best offensive skill player in the league surely doesn't hurt) but have regressed quite a bit on defense.  The Dolphins' record went from 5-11 -> 10-6 -> 9-8 under Flores, and now 8-8 under McDaniel.  So at best they've remained stagnant from last season, which you could argue is a disappointment considering the Tyreek Hill acquisition and Tua being in his third year.

All that being said, I'd be pretty excited to land McDaniel here if he were to be fired.  I think he has had a very promising rookie season, especially considering he has no head coaching experience.  I think we're seeing him take some coaching lumps to end this season which I have no doubt he's learning from, so we'd be the beneficiaries of that acquired experience if we'd end up hiring him as our HC.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

All that being said, I'd be pretty excited to land McDaniel here if he were to be fired.  I think he has had a very promising rookie season, especially considering he has no head coaching experience.  I think we're seeing him take some coaching lumps to end this season which I have no doubt he's learning from, so we'd be the beneficiaries of that acquired experience if we'd end up hiring him as our HC.

I am sure he has learned a lot this year.  He is the offensive guy Tepper wants.  Can develop a young QB.  Just get him a strong DC.

I bet Miami would be willing to give Payton everything he wants. Seems like a perfect fit.

• Beer 1

He is my favorite coach in the league.  A guy you'd never pick out of a lineup as being an NFL coach.  Analytical, brilliant, humorous--If the fish let him go, we grab him.

I am not that happy about Harbaugh.  He reminds me of purchasing a boat.  The 2 happiest days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He would need to be required to hire a much better DC than Boyer.

I also don't think Wilks would be a good match. Flores would be really interesting pairing.

Flores competes him. One had the Dolphins defense looking solid and the other had their offense looking great. 

• Beer 1