• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

The draft-pick compensation is where it gets trickier, especially considering Saints general manager Mickey Loomis will want more from a division rival. Further complicating things is the fact that the Panthers want to hold on to their No. 9 pick this year, so they can potentially pair Payton with a top-10 quarterback. With that said, the Panthers’ offer is: This year’s second-round pick (originally the 49ers’), next year’s first-round pick, and as an incentive, next year’s third if the Panthers reach the NFC championship game in Payton’s first season. Tepper also might be willing to throw some cash at the Saints (as the Bucs did in trading for the Raiders’ Jon Gruden) as a final sweetener. — Joe Person

This was posted from an Athletic article about what Payton packages might be. I don't think this is bad at all.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

The draft-pick compensation is where it gets trickier, especially considering Saints general manager Mickey Loomis will want more from a division rival. Further complicating things is the fact that the Panthers want to hold on to their No. 9 pick this year, so they can potentially pair Payton with a top-10 quarterback. With that said, the Panthers’ offer is: This year’s second-round pick (originally the 49ers’), next year’s first-round pick, and as an incentive, next year’s third if the Panthers reach the NFC championship game in Payton’s first season. Tepper also might be willing to throw some cash at the Saints (as the Bucs did in trading for the Raiders’ Jon Gruden) as a final sweetener. — Joe Person

This was posted from an Athletic article about what Payton packages might be. I don't think this is bad at all.

Not bad at all, but would they accept? 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Not bad at all. Would do this 100%.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

54 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The bottom line?  What do we know about Payton as a coach?  He had 1 year without Brees (2021) and that did not go well.  Payton really did not with Brees.  He used him well--but what did NO do with Winston?  Brees' first year in New Orleans was Payton's first as a coach--2006.  Brees left in 2020--Payton left in 2021.  He did not really develop Winston, but he sorta was creative with Taysom Hill (because he did not have a QB?) and since had a few NFL nomads like Teddy, Dalton, etc.

So Payton's career was directly tied to Drew Brees.  When Brees retired, Payton stayed for a season and got out.  His record was 152-89-0. 

So, aside from Bountygate, what do we really know about him?  He had a good GM.  Can Payton sail the ship with no Brees? (see what I did there?)  The more I dig, the more I think, "fool's gold"  (see, the Saints and their fans are fools and they have gold helmets.  I am on fire)

So I believe I can answer this partly. 

Remember when we had Cam?  Remember how we didn't protect Cam?  Remember that bad Oline?  Remember how our offense was based around Cam's ability to withstand punishment?  Ron Rivera did that.

Remember Brees early in his career?  Couldn't pass a physical.  Small and undersized player without much speed.  A former 1st round pick who couldn't perform with the Chargers and got traded after just a few years. How long of career did Brees have under Payton?  Do you think Brees is a HOFer if he stayed with the Chargers?  He had LT and Antonio Gates in their prime yet was traded after the Chargers thought he wasn't good enough.

Could it be that Payton devised a system around the strengths of Brees predicated on getting the ball out quickly.  Payton put together a solid Oline, always had a good running game.  Always had a decent defense. 

This could mean nothing, or it may mean that Brees had Payton, not Payton had Brees.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 4

18 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Do you think Brees is a HOFer if he stayed with the Chargers?  He had LT and Antonio Gates in their prime yet was traded after the Chargers thought he wasn't good enough.

Chargers didn’t trade him because they didn’t think he was good enough

He tore his shoulder and was at a pay day.   They were scared of him not recovering and being tied to a huge deal.  So they offered him a heavy incentive deal which Brees didn’t take. 

Healthy, Brees was Brees.

• Beer 1

Not giving Payton credit for what he did for Brees career is a short sided take. Go ask washed up Kerry Collins what Payton did for him when he took over as OC in 2000. Go ask Romo what Payton did for his career.  Winston was off to the most efficient start of his career in 2021 before he got hurt.

To blankety say Brees made Sean Payton is a lopsided take. Was Brees a HOFer? Of course he was.

Would he have reached full potential under a different coach? Can’t say for sure. 

You can not like Payton as a person, but to say he isn’t this or that when it comes to Xs and Os is foolish.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 4

1 hour ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I think I would rather use those picks to move up for a quarterback in the draft. Not a fan of paying for a coach.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

I think I would rather use those picks to move up for a quarterback in the draft. Not a fan of paying for a coach.

Yep and I don’t like drafting quality prospects and waste them on shitty coaches. We need both and a seasoned veteran coach don’t grow on trees, so I would rather give up a few prospects now and be in a better position to coach next years class.

38 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Not giving Payton credit for what he did for Brees career is a short sided take. Go ask washed up Kerry Collins what Payton did for him when he took over as OC in 2000. Go ask Romo what Payton did for his career.  Winston was off to the most efficient start of his career in 2021 before he got hurt.

To blankety say Brees made Sean Payton is a lopsided take. Was Brees a HOFer? Of course he was.

Would he have reached full potential under a different coach? Can’t say for sure. 

You can not like Payton as a person, but to say he isn’t this or that when it comes to Xs and Os is foolish.

Giving Payton the credit for Brees is a lopsided take too. 

Because Brees was good before Payton got him.  Payton just put him in good pass happy system.  So his numbers jumped.   You could have put a really good QB in Joe Brady’s offense and they would have had great stats. Because it’s just putting more influence on the QB.   And a weak QB like Teddy lead to record numbers for almost everyone involved.   You just cant out a bad QB in a QB heavy O. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1