• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

I totally get the skepticism surrounding Payton and I also understand straight up not wanting him. But I do wonder if he has more leverage than we think. If he’s decided that this is the job he wants, he can hold the Saints hostage a bit. They’re obviously going to want to get something for him - and if this is the job he wants he can tell them he’s only taking the Carolina job. So he can say it’s that or he’ll just wait out his contract the next year or two to where they wouldn’t get anything for him.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I totally get the skepticism surrounding Payton and I also understand straight up not wanting him. But I do wonder if he has more leverage than we think. If he’s decided that this is the job he wants, he can hold the Saints hostage a bit. They’re obviously going to want to get something for him - and if this is the job he wants he can tell them he’s only taking the Carolina job. So he can say it’s that or he’ll just wait out his contract the next year or two to where they wouldn’t get anything for him.

It is interesting as he wants to minimize the loss of draft picks for his own sake. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

It is interesting as he wants to minimize the loss of draft picks for his own sake. 

Yup. I fail to see what’s stopping him from just telling New Orleans it’s Carolina or bust this cycle. I think his deal has two years left so they could call his bluff and force him to wait it out till next year if it’s a shabby return. But I’m not sure they’ll want to chance that.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I've read it elsewhere too, can't remember where, but it's why I have never taken the Payton to Denver stuff serious no matter what they throw at him.  They are stuck with Wilson for the foreseeable future after him looking like absolute poo this year, and the philosophy just doesn't match up for a coach who has made his living with mostly scheming passes over the middle of the field with a QB whose biggest weakness is seeing the middle of the field.

The coaching situation in Denver reminds me of the early days with LaFleur. Rodgers didn't have great seasons (not as bad as Russ) and clearly didn't like him and there were very loud voices wondering if LaFleur was in over his head. That wasn't helped by the Jordan Love trade-up-and-pick, but things settled there. Now it's a question of did LaFleur learn to coach or is Rodgers so great that he rose above LaFleur? 

With Denver, Hackett was in over his heard, but we'll never know if he is LaFleur or if Russ would go the way of Rodgers. The sample size is small so we don't know if Russ is now this bad or if Hackett was the problem. If it was Hackett, then maybe having Russ is actually an attraction for Payton, but getting to come to Carolina or Houston with your hand-picked QB a la Brees might be even more attractive. 

20 minutes ago, Cavscout said:

When Parcells was traded within the same division it cost a Third-round pick (1997), fourth-round pick (1997), second-round pick (1998), first-round pick (1999) plus cash. 

Yeah but Parcells had two SBs and was active.

If Payton wants to go somewhere and the Saints don’t want to send him he can just stick to TV and wait and the Saints won’t get any compensation. 

• Beer 1

Panthers interviewing Evero today. Kind of odd that Johnson was the “front runner” but Evero was scheduled the same day. Unless Evero’s schedule was adjusted after Johnson backed out.

Regardless, Evero is the 2nd minority interview. Panthers could announce by this weekend.

FD00375A-0A1A-41DE-9849-165A6DE4C3FF.jpeg

• Beer 1

Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports reported in February that Fox was discussing a deal with the 58-year-old to potentially have him succeed Troy

1 hour ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Yup. I fail to see what’s stopping him from just telling New Orleans it’s Carolina or bust this cycle. I think his deal has two years left so they could call his bluff and force him to wait it out till next year if it’s a shabby return. But I’m not sure they’ll want to chance that.

Aikman as the lead color commentator. McCarthy reported Payton might earn as much as $10 million annually.

If he wants the Panther's job he is going to name his own trade compensation.  According to the draft value chart, a mid to late round 1st round pick is about the same as our higher 2nd, and our 3rd round pick.  SP is smart enough to not hamstring his own surroundings.  The compensation for the Belichick in '97 would not fly today.  Draft picks are much more valued.  If the Saint's don't budge, he'll stay put and make that easy money broadcasting.  The Saints know that he's going to come back, and if he doesn't do it this year they aren't getting much of anything for him.

If SP has a legit plan to right the ship, I'm in, but I have a few conditions.

1. What is the QB plan for 2023?

2. Are you committed for 5 years?

3. Who is your successor or coach in waiting?  If we are going to open the bank and risk draft picks for him, he has better be grooming someone.

4. You need to be able to collaborate with Fitty/Morgan on roster/draft control with Tepper making the final call on contested decisions.  Not a big fan of Tepper having final say, but that gives him the opportunity to utilize all the minds in one room.  Plus, he did pay 2.2 Billion for the team so be a boss Boss.

• Pie 2

It's important to note that Payton is very close with the Saints GM. It's entirely possible that they have an understanding between them that if Payton decides he wants to coach somewhere that Loomis won't hold it up - or hamstring Payton - by demanding huge compensation.

Honestly, this strikes me as the only explanation as to why they're letting a division rival interview him to begin with. At least with as much interest as there is outside the division.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, BeenPounding said:

Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports reported in February that Fox was discussing a deal with the 58-year-old to potentially have him succeed Troy

Aikman as the lead color commentator. McCarthy reported Payton might earn as much as $10 million annually.

If he wants the Panther's job he is going to name his own trade compensation.  According to the draft value chart, a mid to late round 1st round pick is about the same as our higher 2nd, and our 3rd round pick.  SP is smart enough to not hamstring his own surroundings.  The compensation for the Belichick in '97 would not fly today.  Draft picks are much more valued.  If the Saint's don't budge, he'll stay put and make that easy money broadcasting.  The Saints know that he's going to come back, and if he doesn't do it this year they aren't getting much of anything for him.

If SP has a legit plan to right the ship, I'm in, but I have a few conditions.

1. What is the QB plan for 2023?

2. Are you committed for 5 years?

3. Who is your successor or coach in waiting?  If we are going to open the bank and risk draft picks for him, he has better be grooming someone.

4. You need to be able to collaborate with Fitty/Morgan on roster/draft control with Tepper making the final call on contested decisions.  Not a big fan of Tepper having final say, but that gives him the opportunity to utilize all the minds in one room.  Plus, he did pay 2.2 Billion for the team so be a boss Boss.

You can be assured that Sean Payton won't take ANY job without having a plan in mind for QB.