• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Falling for the big name in the media again rather than being patient and looking objectively at all the options would pretty much cement for me that he's too stupid to be a successful owner. 

If he has interviewed almost all if not all of the top offensive minds in the NFL and decides payton is the best choice, that's a patient approach since he and the team interviewed so many candidates. 🤔

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The notion that just because he was successful somewhere else he'll be equally successful here is one of the biggest fallacies in sports.

I think coaches that are successful with multiple teams because they're able to handpick their teams. Hard to find a coach that turns around multiple bottom feeders. 

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

If he has interviewed almost all if not all of the top offensive minds in the NFL and decides payton is the best choice, that's a patient approach since he and the team interviewed so many candidates. 🤔

And then yet again fell for the sales pitch from the big name.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And then yet again fell for the sales pitch from the big name.

Maybe it was the best sales pitch? 

I mean that's what an NFL HC interview is, isn't it? It's a sales pitch about vision for the team overall and the type of team the coach wants to run. 

2 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

if we end up with steve wilks or frank reich I may legitimately be done with this team

Yeah I’m about there. Only thing that would keep me is if we drafted a talented qb. I have zero interest in this team if we roll with wilks and a retread qb.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The successful ones all started out as unknowns that someone took a chance on.

I'd much rather find the next Sean McVay than the next Miami version of Jimmy Johnson.

I don’t think we will ever see eye to eye on this so, fair enough. 

5 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Maybe it was the best sales pitch? 

I mean that's what an NFL HC interview is, isn't it? It's a sales pitch about vision for the team overall and the type of team the coach wants to run. 

Matt Rhule was the best sales pitch last time.

How'd that work out?

Being able to sell yourself as being good is not the same as actually being good.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

How'd that work out?

I mean every HC hire ends up being the best sales pitch. McVay was the best sales pitch for the Rams, Taylor was the best sales pitch for the Bengals, etc. I'm not wild about sending compensation out for Payton, but it's no more of a long shot than Steichen giving his best sales pitch as the next McVay or Wilks giving his best sales pitch of being the best of Rivera without all the bad parts. 

Just now, Wolfcop said:

Wilkes, Reich, and Fangio would be intriguing, especially with a new QB.  

Problem is all I see is an OC being held back by Wilks and making up for his try-not-to-lost mentality. 
Wilks is the one to decide to punt the ball on 4th and 1 in the opponent’s territory. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

How'd that work out?

Being able to sell yourself as being good is not the same as actually being good.

That's why this coach will be a proven NFL head coach, no taking a chance on this one. 

If Tepper follows the norm for the NFL at least.