• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

19 minutes ago, Killah_Ray said:

Steichen sorta worries me because I wonder how much is it his system or is it Hurts?  Minshew looked like complete poo the game I watched with him in. 

He threw for 355 yards and two touchdowns. He had a pick or two as well,  it he’s also not a starting franchise QB. I think Steichen would do wonders for a young QB, if we are lucky enough to get one. 

• Beer 1

Go Blue College Football GIF by Michigan Athletics

Tepper! The only man capable of avenging the disrespect from SP and Loomis is this guy.

Sean doesn't love you and he's playing games with your heart, your franchise and your wallet.

Jim would kick his and Denver's ars up and down that field and BURY the Saints organization who loves to laugh at you.

Shine up the brass balls, pick up the phone, offer ANYTHING to a guy who actually wants the Panthers job and is sincere about it, not some disrespectful eye liner wearing ego maniac.

Move on and move up bro. Call and make nice big boy.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, trueblade said:

What I haven't seen anyone talking about is another option. Payton goes back to New Orleans and says he's ready to resume his contractual duties as head football coach. I don't think Loomis wants that.

I don't think Payton wants to go back to NO. Why go back to an aging ex-girlfriend when you can hook up with a hot new girlfriend? 

9 minutes ago, Growl said:

Bengals fans hate zac Taylor 

Watching them, I don't get it.  It's not like a Cam carrying an entire staff and team to a Superbowl.  We barely made the playoffs outside of 2015 because Rivera's coaching was that bad.  From what I've seen of the Bengals, they are good - both personnel and coaching.  If that's the results of backing into a particular hire, sign me up.  Meanwhile, we managed almost 9 years under a guy who just sat the QB who was winning him games for the bust they traded for who had already been benched for his abysmal play on his third team in 3 years, got blown out by a horrible team, then admitted he didn't know that loss essentially eliminated them from the playoffs.  Tell Bengals fans to come talk to us.🤣

17 minutes ago, Growl said:

plus Sirianni and Taylor had legitimate, varied NFL resumes’

Outside of Steichen, the only other resume’ I like from an experience standpoint is Dorsey.

and uh how do you guys really feel about ken Dorsey as head coach material 

In all honesty, i would be excited until he have me a reason not to be.

52 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Really good and long write up on him in The Athletic https://theathletic.com/4104453/2023/01/19/giants-mike-kafka-nfl-head-coach-candidate/

Kafka’s decision that day set in motion a meteoric rise through the NFL coaching ranks. Upon his arrival in Kansas City as offensive quality control coach, Kafka immediately got to work mentoring Mahomes, helping the young superstar win an MVP in his first season as a starter and a Super Bowl in his second. Meanwhile, Kafka had become the Chiefs’ quarterbacks coach, later adding the title of passing game coordinator, and his work in Kansas City began to attract attention.

The now-35-year-old Kafka had always known there would be somewhat of a ceiling in Kansas City with Reid calling plays, so when Giants coach Brian Daboll called this past offseason, offering him a chance to do so while serving as New York’s offensive coordinator, he jumped at the opportunity.

In their first season together, they transformed a Giants offense that ranked 31st in the NFL in scoring and yardage in 2021 into one with a reputation for creativity and wildly outperforming expectations. Most recently, Kafka and Daboll helped deliver the Giants’ first playoff victory in 11 years, in large part due to a masterful offensive game plan against the Vikings that empowered quarterback Daniel Jones to deliver an historic performance. 

Perhaps even more impressive, Kafka and company have created a multi-faceted, innovative and productive attack despite injuries taking their toll on the offensive line and robbing the wide receiver position of some of its top talent, leaving the Giants reliant on practice squad elevations and waiver wire acquisitions. And they’ve made it work. It’s no surprise, then, that after his first year in New York, Kafka has already been called about three head coaching vacancies.

For those that have been with Kafka since the early days, it’s not a shock that others in the NFL world have caught on to what they’ve known for a long time.

Kafka spent a couple of seasons in Philadelphia, then became an NFL journeyman with stops in New England, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Tennessee and Cincinnati over a six-year span. The life of a backup was familiar territory for Kafka by this point, and he used his time in each place as an opportunity to digest as much information as he could.

“As a backup in the pros, you don’t get a lot of reps in general, so you’ve got to take a bunch of mental reps,” Kafka said. “You’ve got to work with the second- and third-teamers, and you also gotta be able to give feedback to the starter that’s real. 

Kafka developed his imagination and creativity by working with mentors such as Reid, Mornhinweg and others, then put his own stamp on things. But as Kafka’s friend and Giants tight ends coach Andy Bischoff said, he also doesn’t need to be right all of the time. He’s eager to gather perspective from the rest of the staff. He’ll make sure to poll the position group leaders rather than trying to be the all-knowing expert.

Take offensive line protections for example, which is different in Reid’s world than the Giants’ strategy. While Kafka might be inclined to do things a way he’s familiar with, he often listens to offensive line coach Bobby Johnson.

“In football, there’s a lot of different ways to win,” Bischoff said. “Largely it comes down to fundamentals and technique and turnovers, but there’s a lot of different ways to make good plays, and he’s just vulnerable enough to say, ‘Yeah, I can see it that way. Even though I used to do it this way, I can see it that way.’”

The Athletic's profile of Kafka Is an excellent read and presents a really good case for him as a head coach.

• Pie 7

2 hours ago, philit99 said:

Because just like us, he is a safe hire

A defensive-minded coach who has never coached a top 10 defense in his entire career, who is already 53 years old, who has a 9-19 career record as a HC, who guided a team to a No. 1 Overall pick, is not a "safe hire".

Unless by safe you mean it would safely secure our spot in the cellar of the NFC.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1