• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

That's great. That means no matter what, even if Wilks gets to be the motivator/leader guy, the lame ass soft zone DC philosophy of Holcom/Wilks won't be a factor any more. This seems like Fitt may have a little bit more involvement/Tepper is listening to Fitts advice

• Flames 2

5 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Ben Johnson HC

Vic Fangio DC

is a fuging dream. Young, bright, innovative offensive mind paired with an elite defensive coach that has HC experience 

Another benefit is I seriously doubt Fangio will ever be a HC again which would be nice to not have to worry about losing him in future hiring cycles. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Big thing for me is the locker room and Wilks won it, if you go with a new coach.. he's going to have to be able to go in and win the players over, otherwise.. gonna have major turnover first 2 seasons, players wanting out and bad seasons. 

Especially so if it's Payton over Wilks, I'd expect a ton of turnover.

Like restart the rebuild and any Wilks players will have sour taste in their mouth and tank team chemistry type of bad from the sounds of it. 

43 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Big thing for me is the locker room and Wilks won it, if you go with a new coach.. he's going to have to be able to go in and win the players over, otherwise.. gonna have major turnover first 2 seasons, players wanting out and bad seasons. 

Like restart the rebuild and any Wilks players will have sour taste in their mouth and tank team chemistry type of bad from the sounds of it. 

Guys like Wilks but nobody signed here because they knew he was going to be the head coach. They might resent Tepper for not keeping him.  If they got like Dan Quinn or someone as a sideways move they should be pissed, but if they upgrade to someone who can actually improve the game plans and in game adjustments/win more games most guys will be happy

49 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Between cuts, FA, and the draft, the locker room next year will be different. A new head coach will inevitably bring in some of "his guys." It happens with every team that hires a new head coach.

Vic Fangio as DC... no way we are that lucky right? 

Vic Fangio is as proven as they come.  There is no way you interview this man and don't offer him a contract. I mean I guess it is possible Vic Fangio doesn't want to come here but in another thread where I brought Fangio up, I mentioned how there weren't a ton of DC openings that we'd have to compete for.  And we have the talent for a Fangio defense.  I don't see why he wouldn't want to come here, if the money is right and he wants to be a coordinator again (and clearly he does). 

This would be an absolutely brilliant hire.  And we could go into 2023 feeling confident that our defense would, at the very least, be above average. 

This is the benefit of having an owner willing to spend.  Fangio ain't gonna come cheap for an assistant.  But he will be worth every dime.  

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 4

Fangio is going to be DC for Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton if he takes a DC position. I doubt he is not going to pair up with a HC who has less than a full year as an independent OC like Ben Johnson. I don't see that happening with all the opportunities Fangio has in the NFL.

Fangio interviewing likely means Harbaugh or Payton is serious about taking the HC position.

It would be interesting to see Burns at OLB/Edge, Brown 3 tech DE, and Chinn at SS in Fangio's defense. Panthers have the players he needs.