• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So which QB do we think will be available at #9?

NAS

41 minutes ago, Varking said:

Justin Fields hasn’t shown progress? 

Final 8 games of 2022:

116 of 182 passing for 63.7% completion rate. 
1194 passing, 779 rushing = 1973 yards

18 touchdowns and 5 INTs 

Per game average: 

63.7% Completions

246 Yard of Offense

2.25 touchdowns

.625 interceptions 

Compare it to the first 7 or all of last year. And this is in a new offense with a new coach and Mooney being his only reliable weapon who is a glorified number 2. 

Damn, that's Jameis Winston numbers.

5 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Career Stats Per Game - Fields / Trubisky

Total Yards: 210.2 / 203.5

TDs: 1.3 / 1.3

INTs: 0.8 / 0.7

Comp %: 59.7 / 64.2

Passer rating: 79.7 / 86.4

Win % in Games Started: 20% / 56%

Source: https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=FielJu00&player_id1=TrubMi00&sum=0&request=1

One is apparently a franchise QB and the other, despite having equal or better stats, is considered backup level.

Trubisky in his first couple years had a much better team around him.  He was a better pure passer his first 2 years for sure, yet Fields scored nearly as many TDs this year as Trubisky in his second year and with a similar total yardage, despite the worse team. The Bears OL and D were pretty good that year.

And you're making our point btw- the Bears did not move on from Mitch for multiple years.

17 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Career Stats Per Game - Fields / Trubisky

Total Yards: 210.2 / 203.5

TDs: 1.3 / 1.3

INTs: 0.8 / 0.7

Comp %: 59.7 / 64.2

Passer rating: 79.7 / 86.4

Win % in Games Started: 20% / 56%

Source: https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=FielJu00&player_id1=TrubMi00&sum=0&request=1

One is apparently a franchise QB and the other, despite having equal or better stats, is considered backup level.

You’re missing something here, friend. 

To people saying Fields is being held back by his lack of receivers: is there no consideration that these receivers are being held back by a QB who struggles to throw the football?  Darnell Mooney for one, looked like a very promising up-and-coming receiver last season and magically seems to have significantly regressed this year.  If you look at last year where he caught passes from both Fields and Dalton, here was the split between the two QBs:

Mooney catching passes from Fields in 2021: averaged 3.45 catches and 49.8 yards per game (extrapolates to a 847 yard season)

Mooney catching passes from Dalton in 2021: averaged 6.14 catches and 72.4 yards per game (extrapolates to a 1231 yard season)

Now Mooney catching passes from Fields in 2022: averaged 3.3 catches and 41.1 yards per game (extrapolates to a 699 yard season)

That's a huge increase in production catching passes from just a meh QB like Dalton.  That production is the difference between a WR2 and a WR1.  So is a guy like Mooney really the problem here?

Same thing with Claypool.  He's supposedly a horrible weapon yet somehow fetched a 2nd round pick in his 3rd season.  His production has regressed significantly when catching passes from Fields even if you only look at this season pre-trade and post-trade.

2022 Claypool w/ Steelers: averaged 4 catches and 38.9 yards per game (extrapolates to a 661 yard season)

2022 Claypool w/ Bears: averaged 2 catches and 20.0 yards per game (extrapolates to a 340 yard season)

Basically doubled his production catching passes from bad QBs like Trubisky and Pickett.

So depending on who is throwing them the football, Mooney/Claypool either look like a legit WR1/2 duo or a meh WR2/3 duo.  To be all "poor Justin Fields" without considering his impact on their production is pretty short-sighted.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Four QBs will not go in the top 8.

Not this draft.  Three at most.  Young and Stroud will get snagged while Levis may slide a bit.  Richardson will be there at #9 and I hope we pass on him.  Too big of a project for a team in major flux.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Not this draft.  Three at most.  Young and Stroud will get snagged while Levis may slide a bit.  Richardson will be there at #9 and I hope we pass on him.  Too big of a project for a team in major flux.

As we sit here today on jan 9 I think if we stick at #9 there is no way in hades AR gets passed us.  I have had this nagging feeling for the bulk of the year he is going to be our pick.  Makes too much sense.

That could change but unless we trade up I think hes the pick and I have talked myself into it

I think if Tepper goes Johnson or Stechin then he is 1000% our pick, it just matches up too perfectly

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

So Fields has missed almost 25% of games each season?  Why are you defending a QB missing that many games? Why do you think he is missing that many games? Bc he isnt capable of taking the hits of the NFL playing the football he is playing. The Bears know that Justin Fields isnt a capable passer so they dial up QB option runs... and run him into the ground. Non one said a QB shouldnt run... a fragile QB shouldnt run.

Fields has experienced SIX different injuries since entering the NFL. Hip, Both shoulders, Knee, Ribs and a Concussion. 

Another bonus note about Fields, he has had 6 opportunities to have a game ending drive 5 of them ended in a Fields turnover. 

I dont get the defense of this guy by this board. Even the Bears messsage board is considering a QB #1 overall and shopping Fields... If he was a Panther majority of this board would be talking about pulling the plug on him. 

So when did Fields turn into an incapable passer? That's bullshit! I can see the injuries perhaps, but their O-line can't pass protect worth a damn. Chicago writers and fans know that. Moreover, they need to upgrade their receiving corps. Better line and better weapons, as well as more experience, should lead to better results in the passing game.

Fields was first and foremost a pocket passer at OSU, and he was historically accurate. You're not convincing me that he can't pass. 

Edited by top dawg

10 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Trubisky in his first couple years had a much better team around him.  He was a better pure passer his first 2 years for sure, yet Fields scored nearly as many TDs this year as Trubisky in his second year and with a similar total yardage, despite the worse team. The Bears OL and D were pretty good that year.

And you're making our point btw- the Bears did not move on from Mitch for multiple years.

You and I have a different recollection of those Bears teams. They were built on defense and never invested in offensive weapons around Trubisky. That doesn't really matter. I'm not arguing Trubisky should be a franchise QB. I'm providing reasons why I would draft Young if I were the Bears.

14 minutes ago, Varking said:

Winston had a 18/5 stretch?

You keep including Fields rushing TDs in his TD total but then ignoring his fumbles in the turnover total. It's 18 total TDs to 6 total turnovers (Bears recovered 4 of his 5 fumbles). And yes, in 2021 in 7 starts for New Orleans, Winston had 15 total TDs to 4 total turnovers.

Edited by UNCrules2187