• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One Reason to be Optimistic this time around in the HC Hiring Cycle

Ricky Spanish

17 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Hurney is gone.

By all accounts he was enamored with Rhule the moment his wife served them meatballs. We no longer have him whispering dumbassery into Tepper's ear. The bad man is gone and now we have Fitty Cent leading the HC search. I don't know if that's better, but it's definitely something different. 

Hopefully they make the right choice this time. 

This is wrong. The account of events from Tepper himself was Tepper and Drummond loved Rhule. They had to convince Hurney. Hurney probably saw the BS but wanted to make the boss happy.

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

This is wrong. The account of events from Tepper himself was Tepper and Drummond loved Rhule. They had to convince Hurney. Hurney probably saw the BS but wanted to make the boss happy.

https://theathletic.com/1520923/2020/01/08/flying-to-waco-sitting-in-an-suv-eating-meatballs-and-talking-football-how-the-panthers-got-their-man/

During Wednesday’s press conference, Tepper did a pretty good impression of Hurney when recalling how Hurney told him he needed to switch into recruiting mode. Later, Tepper expanded on where Hurney stood prior to the interview with Rhule.

“You go into it, you have preconceived notions, and I was probably more towards Matt Rhule in the process of ranking, just for me. Marty had other things and other rankings,” Tepper said. “And then I think once we saw him switch, me and Steve were kind of (thinking) Matt Rhule, a little bit leaning that way. So once Marty, who was a little bit skeptical, moved over that way, I think we went to recruiting mode.

Said Hurney: “I can’t stress (enough): Gets off the plane, goes in the driveway, sits in the dining room and he’s just instant energy. After an hour and a half, they’re right, I just said, ‘Oh, man, I’ve gotta turn him. We’ve gotta try to convince this guy that Carolina’s the place for him,’ because he was just very impressive.”

So Tepper had Rhule ranked higher than Hurney initially but then Hurney fell hook line and sinker and started recruiting then and there. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Tbe said:

From Rhule's introductory press conference (David Tepper speaking)

We were all sitting there interviewing Matt and it was me, Marty and Steven Drummond. And Marty's going with his toughness and his questions and we're about halfway through the interview and Marty Hurney starts melting down. And you could see Marty and he's like 'I've gotta get into recruiting mode now.' So Marty goes from total interview mode to putting on the recruiting mode. And Steve and I looked at each other and looked at Marty and didn't say a word, and we just all went into recruiting mode because we knew we had something special. And something that we could build something up here.

Full Transcript: Matt Rhule introductory press conference

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • The D 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Rhule's introductory press conference (David Tepper speaking)

We were all sitting there interviewing Matt and it was me, Marty and Steven Drummond. And Marty's going with his toughness and his questions and we're about halfway through the interview and Marty Hurney starts melting down. And you could see Marty and he's like 'I've gotta get into recruiting mode now.' So Marty goes from total interview mode to putting on the recruiting mode. And Steve and I looked at each other and looked at Marty and didn't say a word, and we just all went into recruiting mode because we knew we had something special. And something that we could build something up here.

Full Transcript: Matt Rhule introductory press conference

If anyone was ready with receipts, I knew it would be you Scot.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Hurney is gone.

By all accounts he was enamored with Rhule the moment his wife served them meatballs. We no longer have him whispering dumbassery into Tepper's ear. The bad man is gone and now we have Fitty Cent leading the HC search. I don't know if that's better, but it's definitely something different. 

The ace in the hole is Teppers wife. She will sniff out the BS distractions like meatballs and car salesman windbaggery working it's way into the interviews, I hope. 

• Beer 1
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Hurney is gone.

The candidates at least appear qualified and intelligent. The crop of candidates last go around was rough. Matt Rhule was the worst of them all. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Tbe said:

Your scenario could be plausible, but could also be that Rhule actually convinced Hurney he was the one.

All we know for sure is that going into the interview, Tepper and Drummond had Rhule ranked higher than Hurney had. 

I have previous posted this... 

Of the three Panthers representatives taking part in the conversation, Hurney was the most skeptical of Rhule and if he would be the right fit.

“You go into it and you have preconceived notions and I was probably more toward Matt Rhule in the process, the ranking, just for me. Marty had other rankings,” Tepper said. “And then I think once we saw him switch over — me and Steven were kind of on the Matt Rhule, leaning that way — once Marty, who was a little bit skeptical, went over that way, then we went into recruiting mode.”