• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Tepper.... Year 5 ownership, + and - of Tepper

TheBigKat

16 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

Positives: He brought music back to Charlotte.

Negatives: Literally every single thing hes done since the second he was announced as owner of this franchise.

side note, music never left Charlotte.

Dang it I thought I was gonna be the first to point out he brought music to our town for the first time ever! What a plus!

I also do not view the soccer team as a plus at all. We are sharing our stadium with them like some sort of step sibling. I can't stand the fact that our stadium is only halfway Panthers branded, it's disrespectful to the football team. FC needs their own place. 

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

This is now the close of year 5 for David Tepper and here are my personal POSITIVES and NEGATIVES of him

Positives:

INSANELY rich who has no problems writing a check

Negatives:

Not a hands off owner, gets involved in personnel when he really shouldn't

Bull in the China shop mentality- Rock Hill comes to mind

Doing too much too quickly- why buy a soccer team when your football team still stinks

Hasn't been "In the community"- JR lives in Quail Hollow and was a local staple and gave back to places like Wofford, UNCC. Tepper is just hear mostly during the season

When did Tepper get involved with Personnel? Are you talking non-players? All owners get involved in the hiring of managers and coaches (and I'd assume they have input on blockbuster deals).  I haven't seen Tepper make any direct decisions on a player; for better or worse he lets his hirelings make those decisions.

1 hour ago, Mage said:

This is the only thing I disagree with.  How did Tepper not move on from Rhule quickly?  He only coached 38 games here.  That is absolutely a quick turnaround as most bad HCs still usually get a full 3-4 years unless they are causing problems for the FO or players (Chip Kelly, Urban Meyer).  Even the aggressive Rams held onto Jeff Fisher for 4 1/2 seasons.

I agree with you he should have gotten fired as soon as Year 2 ended but in the grand scheme of things I'd say Tepper moved on pretty fast.  And I'd still argue the main reason he didn't get fired last year is because so many teams fired their HC and we didn't want to compete with all the other teams for a HC.  I said last year that I actually felt like we might benefit by waiting another year because there would be far less openings.  Panthers aren't even in the conversation for Sean Payton last year, meanwhile this year some would argue we are the most desirable HC spot.

Rhule wasn't only bad, he was completely incompetent. The team wasn't competitive. We were outmatched, mainly in the coaching box. This team looked like a high school team playing against Bama. The game plan and play calling weren't even close to NFL caliber. Our first 3 wins of the season were against a rookie QB playing his first NFL game which we won, barely. A NO team missing half the coaching staff out with Covid, and a Texans team starting a 3rd round rookie QB. We beat the Falcons and Arizona, and went on to lose, badly. We got blown out against the Giants and they ended up drafting ahead of us. Then there's the whole off the field BS trying to turn this franchise into his Baylor/NFL love child. It was just awful. Nothing he did showed he had any ability to generate wins. In fact, everything he was doing showed quite the opposite. Then we hit the offseason and everything those of us knew would happen did happen. If fans can recognize that level of incompetence, an owner damn should be able to see it. 

• 8 months later...

Tepper sucks. The man does not have a single redeeming quality. I have never viewed this franchise as the standard of excellence, but I’ve also never viewed them as a dumpster fire franchise like the jets, browns, lions, etc. Tepper has absolutely done that to this franchise in 6 short years. He 100% gets credit for the disaster of 2018 for continuing to employ Hurney and rivera.

• Flames 1