• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints sending us Sean Payton be like..

The Huddler

If Payton wanted the Denver job he would already have it.  Instead he has agreed to a tentative rescheduled interview date of Monday.  Don’t know if he gets the job or not but he at least thinks highly enough of the team to hold off on anything else until he gets his chance to talk to Tepper.  That’s how I see it right now, could change

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

If Payton wanted the Denver job he would already have it.  Instead he has agreed to a tentative rescheduled interview date of Monday.  Don’t know if he gets the job or not but he at least thinks highly enough of the team to hold off on anything else until he gets his chance to talk to Tepper.  That’s how I see it right now, could change

It’s not just about getting hired though. It’s about the deal he gets when hired.  Compensation, power, etc.  That takes some dancing. 

I don't want to lose a 1st round pick. Find someone else. Offensive minded coaches only. Good defense = 7 wins, and the worst you can do is win just enough not to make the playoffs by one game. Nothing worse than that W/L wise, and that's what a defensive coach will bring imo.

Edited by pantherj

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

It’s not just about getting hired though. It’s about the deal he gets when hired.  Compensation, power, etc.  That takes some dancing. 

True but his interview with Denver was what...Monday.  There would be more to the story by now besides Russel needs fixing and he liked what he heard.  From my understanding before permission was even granted to a team the deal with the Saints had to be worked out and agreed upon, if that is true it's just a matter of the Coach accepting the teams offer and everything I've read so far says Denver ownership has openned the checkbook to Payton

4 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

Im having a hard time with this. A coach as good as Payton is worth a 1st round pick. 

But could we hire an equally capable coach (Steichen) without having to give up draft capital?

Slow down there hot rod. Not in the same class and may never ever be.

27 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

True but his interview with Denver was what...Monday.  There would be more to the story by now besides Russel needs fixing and he liked what he heard.  From my understanding before permission was even granted to a team the deal with the Saints had to be worked out and agreed upon, if that is true it's just a matter of the Coach accepting the teams offer and everything I've read so far says Denver ownership has openned the checkbook to Payton

That’s why I think it is about power in the negotiation.   And few just love giving that up.  Much easier for some to part with dollars. 

Just now, CanadianCat said:

I was not saying that Steichen is equal to Payton, just saying we COULD get a good young coach without giving up draft capital. 

Nobody knows if he's a HC yet. It's a calculated risk our front office whiffed on already with the media flavor of the day Matt Rhule instead of the Vegas favorite at the time to get the Panthers HC job, Jim Harbaugh. 

Vegas knew way back then exactly what we needed and it's not an inexperienced HC to follow the last inexperienced HC.

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

Nobody knows if he's a HC yet. It's a calculated risk our front office whiffed on already with the media flavor of the day Matt Rhule instead of the Vegas favorite at the time to get the Panthers HC job, Jim Harbaugh. 

Vegas knew way back then exactly what we needed and it's not an inexperienced HC to follow the last inexperienced HC.

Yeah Im not disagreeing with you. A 1st rounder and change is worth getting a verified HC. I would be pretty excited about the future of the team if we landed him. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Most of the narrative that is coming out is that Sean Payton is after us more than we are after him

Listening to Payton talk about the AFC West and the overall QB disparity between the two conferences really makes me think he would prefer Carolina over Denver. 

That’s assuming he has a plan at QB