• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Coach Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, t96 said:

I mean, is it less fair than just not hiring him as full time HC at all? Give him a 2 or 3 year contract and if he sucks next year we move on and he still gets paid for a few years. For a guy whose track record isn't great either at HC or DC for that matter, any opportunity to be a HC should be welcomed and not be viewed as "unfair." It's a results oriented business. Sure generally it takes longer to build things but nearly 2 years here (including his 12 games this year) + his 1 disastrous year in Arizona would be enough for me to see he's not a great option at HC longer term. For most of us here we've already seen enough. Giving him 1 more year would be more than fair.

From what I've read, three to four year contracts tend to be pretty standard for new head coaches.

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Best case is that Sean goes back to Fox till 2024 and the saints don’t get poo.

I think what Sean is doing right now is genius.  Regardless of where Payton lands what's happening is fascinating. He is low key warring with the Saints.   

First he comes out and says he is worth a mid to late first rounder.  A totally fair assessment.  Something that is good for the Saints but doesn't handicap his future team. He also says the Saints would receive less compensation if he sits out another year.  This is also true. This was a thinly veiled threat to the Saints.  It communicated that he would sit out and they would get nothing if they tried to play with him.

The Saints in a counterattack said that Payton would be worth multiple picks because they know his value.  This was the Saints attempt to mitigate loss of value, protect potential draft compensation, and a signal to other teams that they would be playing hardball.  

All the teams that Payton have interviewed with were also in contact with the Saints regarding compensation negotiations.  The Saints asked for a premium and all the organizations have balked.

The potential teams know that the longer Payton doesn't have a deal done the Saints will walk back their trade price and accept less compensation.  We have even heard pro Saints media try to make the argument that the compensation would be the same next year....lol.

Now it is leaking that Payton is considering returning to tv.   This is the final warning shot at the Saints.  I expect the Saints to be more motivated to come to an agreement the longer this goes on.

Teams are being diligent conducting interviews while the Saints come back down to earth with what they are asking. The teams know they all aren't going to end up with Payton so they are developing their contingency plans. 

Payton and is agent are gradually caring around a crying toddler (the Saints) and slowly but surely he is making them eat their broccoli.

Payton tried to signal for a fair return for the Saints (and for all sides) but the latest developments seem to indicated that now he is pissed at the Saints as more cutthroat negotiating tactics seem to be taking shape.  

If this keeps going he may come to Carolina just to drag them twice a year.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Maybe...

Kaye thinks if Steichen isn't the primary target, the Panthers could wrap things up within the week.

I think unless Steichen pulls out of the search, this thing goes to at least next week because we can't do a second interview with him until next Monday at the earliest.

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

I think unless Steichen pulls out of the search, this thing goes to at least next week because we can't do a second interview with him until next Monday at the earliest.

That's pretty much what Kaye expects, barring they don't decide they like someone else better.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Wow this is really taking a long time.

We're able to hire all but 2 right now.  Seems to be we're holding out for someone...my wildcard is Ryans comes back into the equation or we are simply gunning for Shane.

One of the two.  And if they don't work out, I think we're looking at Reich or Wilks.  

Most of this field just isn't smelling passing the smell test

Payton - NOPE

Moore - NOPE

Dorsey - NOPE

Kafka - NOPE

Caldwell - NOPE

Evero - NOPE (longshot?)

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, t96 said:

If this happens and we're out on Payton then I say give Wilks 1 year with an extremely short leash. If we don't make the playoffs with at least 10 wins and maybe even with that if we don't win a playoff game, see what options are out there next offseason. Not a fan of the other OCs or Reich. Tepper really should've just taken a shot on Harbaugh. Proven guy like SP but arguably better, without having to give up any draft picks to the Aints. Oh well, it ain't happening.

Wilks will never sign a one-year contract and the Panthers would never foolishly offer him that. It will be Arizona all over again - a PR nightmare a deterrent for any future hires and sends the wrong message to the team and the fans. He’ll get the standard 3-4 years if offered the job and that’s fair. Give the man a chance to succeed. 

And Harbaugh was never coming here. There’s no reason to believe he was ever leaving Michigan. Let’s move on.

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 2

Just now, Bear Hands said:

We're able to hire all but 2 right now.  Seems to be we're holding out for someone...my wildcard is Ryans comes back into the equation or we are simply gunning for Shane.

One of the two.  And if they don't work out, I think we're looking at Reich or Wilks.  

Most of this field just isn't smelling passing the smell test

Payton - NOPE

Moore - NOPE

Dorsey - NOPE

Kafka - NOPE

Caldwell - NOPE

Evero - NOPE (longshot?)

We're not doing any more initial interviews if you believe the team so Ryans isn't an option:

CHARLOTTE — The Panthers added another name to the interview list Tuesday when Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore became the ninth to meet with the team about the head coaching job.

That follows a busy few days, as they interviewed former Saints head coach Sean Payton on Monday, Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka on Sunday, and Bills offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey on Saturday.

They had previously interviewed Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero, Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen, former Colts head coach Frank Reich, interim head coach Steve Wilks, and started the process with former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell.

That concludes the first round of interviews, and the team plans to conduct a second round before making a decision.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-head-coach-interview-tracker-2023-candidates

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Byrdman4real said:

Two years should be the max for Wilks, until he can prove more. 

Tepper: OK,  Wilks, we could not find anyone we really liked (who would come here) so we  are giving you 1 (or 2 years) because we are hoping that someone we like better will be available later on.

Wilkes: No thank you.

How are you going to attract good assistant coaches or even free agents in a situation like that even if he did accept?

Not a good plan.

• Pie 6

6 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Tepper: OK,  Wilks, we could not find anyone we really liked (who would come here) so we  are giving you 1 (or 2 years) because we are hoping that someone we like better will be available later on.

Wilkes: No thank you.

How are you going to attract good assistant coaches or even free agents in a situation like that even if he did accept?

Not a good plan.

Wilks isn't attracting good assistant coaches in the first place. 

Here's an alternative:

Tepper: Wilks, I don't think we're going to hire you because you punted the ball twice at midfield on 4th and 1 in a must-win game.

Wilks: Ok.

Tepper: Best of luck.

---

A 2 year deal is more than fair for Steve Wilks.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 2