• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Coach Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ricky Spanish

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not sure consecutive 12-5 seasons meet the threshold of "poorly coached." The 2021 playoffs loss was a disappointment as a higher seed at home but they were supposed to lose the game that they just lost.

So, while those crunch time play calls were both unfortunate I do think both McCarthy and Moore are getting way too much shade thrown at them. Consider that had Dak Prescott not heaved two insanely bad INT's this very well could have been a comfortable Cowboys victory.

It's also not considering what they were able to do this season with Cooper Rush once Dak went down. Moore deserves a lot of credit for that. 

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Regarding Wilks, I know we'll acknowledge the Bucs, Steelers, & Bengals games as stinkers but are we ever going to bring up whatever the hell that Rams game was on his interim debut?  Sure, even more difficult with a week turnaround from being a position coach (after being out of the league for 2 years) to HC down multiple staff, but what even was that game? Felt like he was instructed to showcase CMC and avoid scoring.   We still had McAdoo and our offensive all well in-tact.  The offense was unchanged and that game happened.   

It would bum me out beyond belief if he's the choice.  It's not even a safe choice, in his 30+ year career, he's been a DC for a grand total of 2 seasons at the NFL level.  A HC/IHC for 1 1/2 with mixed results.  And bottom line--it's not just that he's from Rivera's staff.  He followed Ron from CHI to SD to QC for 15+ years.  He was his AHC, helped run Tuesday-Thursdays.  They are as tight as it gets and it would feel like this weird offshoot/extension of that era I want no part of anymore.  Time to move on.  

I don't really want Wilks to be the HC but I can't pin the Ram's game on him. They had just fired Rhule and Snow, that is a significant shakeup to the team. Still trying to get his footing that game. He gets a pass from me there. 

The Pittsburgh, Bucs 2, Baltimore, and Bengals we all got outcoached.

Just realized we got swept by the AFCN this season, closest game being the one rhule coached. If Wilks' team identity was tough and physical, then the division to prove that against was the AFCN and we failed miserably at that. 

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Regarding Wilks, I know we'll acknowledge the Bucs, Steelers, & Bengals games as stinkers but are we ever going to bring up whatever the hell that Rams game was on his interim debut?  Sure, even more difficult with a week turnaround from being a position coach (after being out of the league for 2 years) to HC down multiple staff, but what even was that game? Felt like he was instructed to showcase CMC and avoid scoring.   We still had McAdoo and our offensive all well in-tact.  The offense was unchanged and that game happened.   

It would bum me out beyond belief if he's the choice.  It's not even a safe choice, in his 30+ year career, he's been a DC for a grand total of 2 seasons at the NFL level.  A HC/IHC for 1 1/2 with mixed results.  And bottom line--it's not just that he's from Rivera's staff.  He followed Ron from CHI to SD to QC for 15+ years.  He was his AHC, helped run Tuesday-Thursdays.  They are as tight as it gets and it would feel like this weird offshoot/extension of that era I want no part of anymore.  Time to move on.  

I thought they were seriously trying to tank while watching that Rams game. 

Because that’s what it looked like

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I don't really want Wilks to be the HC but I can't pin the Ram's game on him. They had just fired Rhule and Snow, that is a significant shakeup to the team. Still trying to get his footing that game. He gets a pass from me there. 

Just realized we got swept by the AFCN this season, closest game being the one rhule coached. If Wilks' team identity was tough and physical, then the division to prove that against was the AFCN and we failed miserably at that. 

The Pittsburgh game was the worst

They hyped it up all week long, “protect the bank” etc., playoff talk and then they came out and proceeded to allow Pittsburgh walk the ball down their throats. 

Pittsburgh had some ridiculously long drives that game. It was truly painful to watch. Pickett had got hurt the week prior and they had to stick Trubisky back in there and Wilks had no answer for what seemed like an obvious game plan 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Regarding the canidates:

1-Steichen - Easily the frontrunner.  If this doesn't happen, it will indeed be a sad place

2-Kafka - Called a bad game against Gannon's squad, but I think the talent disparity became a reality as well.  Still seems to have a ton of potential.  

3-Reich - I don't think he's as iffy as a choice as he's made out to be.  He's won a SB as an OC beating BB/TB12, had some good years in Indy with a bad QB situation, and this past season just stunk to high heaven with too much Irsay influence. I'd be a bit hesitant but this could grow on me.  

4-Evero - I don't think he's necessarily out of the picture or simply a Rooney Rule interview.  Maybe he impressed, but being a DC I'm not hugely in favor.   

5a/b-Moore/Dorsey - Not the most popular at the moment.  They seem more products of the environment than curators of the environment.  Still young, would take a bit more time to warm up to if either happens.

The Discard/Just Don't see it happening crowd: Payton, Caldwell

*WILDCARD: Ryans

Demeco postponing so many of his interviews makes me think we still may target bringing him in house once logistics make sense.  Honestly, the top-3 this entire time may have been Johnson/Steichen/Ryans.  Those three were the original rumored, they were/are the most hyped by a combination of insiders and reporters.

The only real report on the matter was the following:

According to Mike Kaye of The Charlotte Observer, Carolina will not host the 38-year-old for an interview—in person or through video conference—due to logistical issues. The two sides could, however, reengage at some point further down the line.

We may just have to be patient.  Steichen and/or Ryans still may likely be the target.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 3

12 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Yeah I'm not saying that's all on him, but that game was just so strange.  Something felt weird about it but maybe it was a mix of the uncertainty and certain players knowing they were being shopped.  Just felt strange as hell.  

It's not "on" him necessarily.  He not only got thrust in from being our DC coach to HC, but was out of the league the prior 2 years.  This would be quite a catapult for him back into a HC position.  Think that's the reality of why he's not really being interviewed elsewhere.  He wasn't even actively coaching in 2020 and was the DC of a 6-7 Mizzou team in 21.

Edited by Bear Hands

16 minutes ago, frankw said:

Just spare us the spiel and admit your personal bar for the head coaching position is simply being marginally better than Matt Rhule and as or more conservative on gamedays than pre Riverboat Rivera. It isn't 2003 or 2011 anymore. Adapt or get run over is the way of the league. Last I checked the facts say Wilks team still has some cleat marks from the Super Bowl contenders the Bengals running us over. Cope more.

Basically the response I expected. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

This line for some reason stuck out to me.... at what point is there a line to outcoached and outplayed.  One is about decision making at the highest level of the roster while the other is the talent on the field isnt doing their job. Of course you can blame the latter on the coach as well, but how much of it is really in the coaches hands?

For instance, a QB throwing a pick .... is that the coach's fault? or The Steelers game where Chinn had his worst half of the season by constantly being out of position or not setting the edge when tasked as the OLB on the Najee Harris TD run...

You chose those games above... and outcoached doesnt really stick out to me.... We went into those games with a gameplan and if it was executed we would have won (except for Bengals... we got punched in the. mouth). 

Steelers game.. both teams had identical gameplans... but the talent gap on the field was apparent.

Baltimore game... we were in it the entire way... but Baker just couldnt see over the LOS

Bengals game..... we had PJ starting and he gave up the ball twice in our own territory...I will give it outcoached though.... 

Bucs 2.... we werent outcoached.... we were pathetic on the outside perimeter against Evans. The rest of the game we played the football we wanted to play.

To me... outcoached is when the opposing team introduces a gameplan that you can't counter because you werent ready for it. Talent gap plays a huge role in this... 3 of those games... the opposing teams didnt do anything special to beat us... in the end we beat ourselves (irony) with dumb turnovers and less than ideal play by our corners.

Just my two cents.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Yet Wilks didn't do it when it mattered.

Without Wilks the situation wouldn’t have even mattered.  

It’s okay to have some nuance and admit the man did a good job while also having moments that pissed you off. 

It’s like this place is salty we didn’t make the playoffs, and it’s John Fox Wilks to blame. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

14 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

4-Evero - I don't think he's necessarily out of the picture or simply a Rooney Rule interview.  Maybe he impressed, but being a DC I'm not hugely in favor.   

He has coached offense before.  Depends on his plan for offensive coaching.  Apparently he is impressive.

• Pie 3