• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Panthering said:

Wilks and Reich is not what I'm looking for. How did we go from this awesome pool of Ben Johnson, Shane Steichen, etc. to these two? Also I'm sick of hearing how Reich was a brief part of the Panthers in 1995 as a QB, I really don't care.

But if he is a local guy that means he is destined to lead this team to 17-0 and to the Super Bowl. /s

1 minute ago, Panthering said:

Wilks and Reich is not what I'm looking for. How did we go from this awesome pool of Ben Johnson, Shane Steichen, etc. to these two? Also I'm sick of hearing how Reich was a brief part of the Panthers in 1995 as a QB, I really don't care.

Johnson chose to return to Detroit.

Reich isn't my top choice either but he's had success at HC and Wentz's best years statistically have all come under Reich.  Reich would be seen differently if Luck didn't abruptly retire, but I trust a young, new QB with Reich.  

Sometimes it is what it is.  At this point I just want an offensive-minded HC.  Plus he has great connections throughout the NFL.

• Pie 4

Just now, PanthersGTI said:

No Roman please. I get a distinctly average feeling from him. Very Ben Macadooish. 

Any word on how the interview with Evero interview went or if there will be a 2nd? Based on what I am seeing now for me It's 1) Reich 2) Evero 

Not that I've seen.

John Ellis mentioned a couple of other staff options from previous connections.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Reich as head coach, Vic Fangio as DC, Greg Roman as OC...

That's...not a bad staff 🤔

IF that happens, I will feel much better about Reich. If it doesn’t I don’t have a good feeling about Reich. As I told you before I live near Indy so I’m surrounded by colts fans and listen to a lot of colts talk (radio, work chatter etc). You don’t have to believe me and that’s ok, but friends of mine have “sources” if you will, really just friends of theirs who know people associated with the colts. They did not have good things to say about Reich. The most glaring thing was the Wentz move they made was all him. 

8 minutes ago, SingleMalt said:

If Wilks has not interviewed with any other team there is no reason for a second interview.

can’t wait to hear the “Wilks had multiple interviews for head coaching positions” argument around here

6 minutes ago, Panthering said:

you’ve gotta understand the most important thing when you’re hunting for a coach is whether or not they’re from the area

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not that I've seen.

John Ellis mentioned a couple of other staff options from previous connections.

Those are much better names then Roman IMO. From what I understand with Roman is the run game is good but he can't develop a passing game ( google RG3 remarks regarding this ). Staley would be interesting if he learned a lot from Ben Johnson while there. 

1 minute ago, The Huddler said:

he had three winning seasons in Indy with no QB.  thats a lot of charm if you ask me

get him a QB to develop. 

Exactly and he was instrumental in Wentz earlier success.  Compare Wentz with Reich to Wentz without.

I think it is fair to be a bit underwhelmed but Reich has proven he can get a team to the playoffs.  And he can develop a young QB and assemble a solid staff.  Lets remember it was Reich who had Sirianna at OC and Eberflus at DC, both are HCs.  Also Jonathan Gannon and Mike Groh.

The ability to build a good staff is just as important as the HC itself.  And Reich has proven he can bring in great assistants.

• Pie 5

I'm good with Reich, if a tad underwhelmed. He's got a lot of staff connections, and he got fuged over in Indy. He had the Colts in position to make the playoffs last season after an 0-3 start until Wentz completely poo the bed in the final two games (they were 9-6 and needed one win to make it). That would've put the Colts in the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years and with four different QBs in those 4 years. Prior to Irsay's meddling this year, he had a 37-28 record as HC (.569 win %). 

I think he's as good of a candidate if you want someone with experience, someone on the offensive side of the ball, and someone who can get the most out of a QB. I was hoping we'd go with Steichen or Ben Johnson, but I don't think Reich is a bad consolation prize.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2