• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More NIL drama. This time in college basketball

jayboogieman

"This is an awful place we're in in college basketball," he said. "Pittsburgh bought a team. OK, fine. My [big donor] talks about it, but he doesn't give anyone any money. Nothing. Not one guy. Our guys make like $20,000. Wake Forest bought a team. Miami bought a team. ... It's like, 'Really, this is where we are?' That's really where we are, and it's only going to get worse."

He added: "It's crazy. That's why those guys got out -- that's why Jay [Wright] got out, Mike [Krzyzewski] got out. That's the reason they got out. The transfer portal and everything is nuts. It really is."

Article

Boeheim has since apologized

Syracuse men's basketball coach Jim Boeheim has issued an apology after claiming other ACC schools have deceitfully used NIL to build their rosters.

"I would like to clarify remarks I made in a conversation I had with a media member following our game on Saturday evening," Boeheim said in a statement. "I apologize to the schools I mentioned. I believe the ACC member institutions are in compliance with NCAA rules governing Name, Image and Likeness (NIL). It was not my intention to imply otherwise."

Article

It's the offseason(for the Panthers already) and the basketball forum doesn't get much use. I know NIL has been discussed before, but Boeheim is right, it's going to get worse.

• Poo 2

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

What's the issue?

College students now get paid. They should have been getting paid. If you want the best of the best you gotta pay. NCAA has been screwing student athletes for decades. It's now the students turn to make profit.

Get that money college athletes!

I don’t think the issue is with the kids being (rightfully) compensated.

I think the reaction is based on fear of the unknown.  How it will change the game.  Program prestige and tradition will no longer be top shelf recruiting tools.  Cash is king.  

yeah, I mean, these schools that are used to having a monopoly on schools that didn't want to compete in the race to get the death penalty are now getting raped because some of those small schools have bigger banks than theirs. 

There will need to be a salary cap of some kind, for sure but for now, it is truly fair.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

I don’t think the issue is with the kids being (rightfully) compensated.

I think the reaction is based on fear of the unknown.  How it will change the game.  Program prestige and tradition will no longer be top shelf recruiting tools.  Cash is king.  

Well duh!

What else where people expecting?

The days of recruiting based of your university name are over. Whatever school pays the most money will get the best of the best.

3 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Well, college basketball has sucked for the last 15 years, so maybe the product will be better to watch now.

The best players are going to the Gleague now.

Maybe the NIL changes it now the best players start going to college again.

That kid Victor Wembanyama is the most hyped recruit since Lebron James. He could have got 100 mil easily from one of these schools to play for their school for 1yr.

15 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Well, college basketball has sucked for the last 15 years, so maybe the product will be better to watch now.

Truth…college and pro basketball used to be incredible but the talent is watered down and no one plays simple fundamental basketball anymore.  The NBA is pretty much unwatchable and college is without star players 

I actually think it’s been declining for like 25 years or more

Edited by Shocker