• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade 9 for Fields - straight up?

musicman

22 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I assume you haven't watched him at all.

Dude is running for his life every other play. Then he has no WR's or TE's to throw to. Bears are just a bad team overall. Can't really judge him until he actually get some weapons and a Oline.

He could throw well at Ohio State. Im willing to bet he would improve on a team with actual good players.

I’ve watched him some in the NFL, and I watched him at OSU extensively. Wasn’t overly impressed then, nothing has changed that.  Not judging him til he gets some weapons is a fair idea, however I don’t want to risk the cost to get him when he has two years of tape and still unable to make a judgement.  If he was a FA?  Sure.  But I’d MUCH rather go hard after Stroud, who in the same situation at OSU looked MUCH better. 

5 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I’ve watched him some in the NFL, and I watched him at OSU extensively. Wasn’t overly impressed then, nothing has changed that.  Not judging him til he gets some weapons is a fair idea, however I don’t want to risk the cost to get him when he has two years of tape and still unable to make a judgement.  If he was a FA?  Sure.  But I’d MUCH rather go hard after Stroud, who in the same situation at OSU looked MUCH better. 

Im assuming Stroud is off the board if they are trading Fields though.

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Im assuming Stroud is off the board if they are trading Fields though.

Maybe. Maybe they draft Young and Houston really wanted Young so they trade down and we can get Stroud.  Far fetched, I know. Even in that case, I’d probably rather Richardson or Levis than spending #9 on Fields. I didn’t like him in that draft and he hasn’t shown any improvement since, whether that’s the fault of the team around him or not the point remains he hasn’t shown he can be a good passer.  He might have had stats in college but he didn’t pass the eye test, he didn’t read the field and he didn’t throw with anticipation or particularly good accuracy.  All he showed was that he could throw it in the vicinity of his receivers.  Need more than that in the NFL.  That’s why I’m so high on Stroud, he did show all those things in college. Reading the field, ball placement, anticipation. 

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

How did Stroud look MUCH better at OSU?  Fields took out Lawrence's Clemson Tigers in the playoffs and made it to the championship game.  He also never lost to Michigan.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

How did Stroud look MUCH better at OSU?  Fields took out Lawrence's Clemson Tigers in the playoffs and made it to the championship game.  He also never lost to Michigan.

You’re quoting team stats. I’m talking about how they played themselves. I watched every throw Fields made that was on YouTube as well as Stroud, not just highlights. I saw him look at a second read fewer times than fingers on one hand.  He didn’t throw with anticipation, he didn’t throw with touch, he didn’t throw with great placement.  He didn’t do the things Stroud does. 

3 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

You’re quoting team stats. I’m talking about how they played themselves. I watched every throw Fields made that was on YouTube as well as Stroud, not just highlights. I saw him look at a second read fewer times than fingers on one hand.  He didn’t throw with anticipation, he didn’t throw with touch, he didn’t throw with great placement.  He didn’t do the things Stroud does. 

They both were on loaded teams. Stroud is probably more developed as a passer, but damn Fields threw for 6 TDs against Clemson while injured. You should watch that Clemson OSU gane against. He was elite…

• Pie 1

I wish Fields the best but with us very likely eyeing our own QB in the draft it's time to start thinking about moving on from this discussion altogether. Let's just hope Jaycee can stay healthy enough to see through the promising career we expect given where we selected him.

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They both were on loaded teams. Stroud is probably more developed as a passer, but damn Fields threw for 6 TDs against Clemson while injured. You should watch that Clemson OSU gane against. He was elite…

It’s a common phenomenon for players to look and even be elite in college but they simply don’t have the tools for the pro game. Reggie Bush, Vince Young, tons of even better examples of this.  I’m not saying Fields can’t throw a football, he just can’t throw it nearly as well as Stroud.  He isn’t remotely as developed. I watched the Clemson game, he is capable of making college throws, but Stroud was making NFL throws in college.  Stroud was throwing his receivers open while Fields was throwing to open receivers.  Part of the reason Harrison gets so much hype is because Stroud makes the kind of throws that aren’t just gimmes, over fingertips with touch, before the breaks with anticipation, down a sideline requiring a top tap where only the receiver can make the play, and Harrison makes the play on them.  If you can’t see the difference between Fields’ game and Stroud’s then I don’t know what to tell you. There’s a huge gap that goes far beyond stats and team accomplishments.  

• Pie 2