• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF - What would it take for Panthers to trade up for #1 pick

TheSpecialJuan

18 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it the large majority of time. But, if they believe there is a legit long term answer at QB, well...

I'm not saying that I believe it, but I don't have years of scouting and coaching experience like this staff. If they do it, I'll have to believe that they're right (until they're not).

See, sometimes what makes sense most of the time, doesn't make sense all the time. They had just better be right.

Its not without holes, just as the numbers keep rising to space......some other methods has to take place. Take Cam, good example or bad example, he "lasted" 8 years. In the theory above, you are paying them CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP until late 20s. Then you get the three 1sts, 3rd, 5th, and couple players....and find the next 7 year savior.. The team you can build is 4x better*unless its a elite of elite*. The team is built with young talent as well. 

Personally I believe its a GREAT idea......just get super screwy if you think Joe Burrow is a 7 year planned player(he did already have acl).

Some other team can print those 55+ milllion checks............. I prefer paying those first 5 years rookie contract and if if if hes got the goods and SB is there= tag that arse........... it blows up, sucks, TAG THAT ARSE again and trade him for the watson special OR go again and trade him the following......You remain young and cap friendly. Your whole team/depth is miles better. 

Edited by Basbear

38 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I agree. I also think that this group doesn't feel they have to get the #1 pick at all costs in order to succeed. 

True. Anything is possible. I think we should be ready for anything and be ok with anything. For all I know it could be that Levis is the guy, or Tanner McKee, or friggin Sam Darnold. It could be they think Carr could be it. It could be that they feel comfortable waiting for AR at #9. Or it might be that they think either Stroud or Young is the guy and they feel they have to move up to 5, 3, or 1 to get the guy they want. 

Getting their QB is the most important thing and they'll do whatever it takes to get their guy.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, onmyown said:

the wayI see it is I think a lot of people are confusing it being worth it, value, and competency.

Saying it never works out (Lance) is a competency issue, not a ‘not worth it’ scenario

Does anyone disagree a franchise qb is worth whatever? That if we could go back in time and part with an extra first for Herbert we would? I think everyone agreees on that

so the question is do you trust Reich and Fit to be able to determine if there is a franchise QB there and have the COMPETENCY to make that call and pull the trigger…and then develop him into a winning QB

if you don’t, then honestly you shouldn’t really support them even being here imo

that’s where I am at…Fit scares the poo out of me and Reichs recent calls (Wentz) scare me too, but at the same time if they swear they can do it they will have 3 years anyways and should be given the leeway to do so…again what’s the point of hiring them if not?

Agreed. It's all about how much do you trust the guys doing the evaluations. If you don't trust them and their abilities, why are they even in the building? As far as deals go, Fitts has made some good, some not so good. What part his and Morgan's evaluations played in player acquisition vs Rhule is unknown. I don't have an issue sending 3 1sts and a 2nd in return for the number 1, but to do so would mean that player is a 100% fit into what the team is trying to do and we're not trying to mold him into something else. 

• Pie 1

This is mystifying. I'm convinced that if left up to this board we'd never set our sights on a franchise QB on purpose, but would hope to strike lotto with one that we found in the clearance aisle. Let's be honest, the special place Jake has in everyone's heart is a lot smaller if he was a 1st rounder rather than an undrafted bargain bin find on the Saints bench.

The Carolina Panthers have never traded up or used 1st round capital of any kind to acquire a QB. The Carolina Panthers have also never had back-to-back winning seasons, and in fact have had winning seasons only like 25% of the time since it was a twinkle in Jerry's eye. There are Carolinians going into middle school who are too young to remember their team ever having a winning season.

And yet we argue to do the same as if it's been a consistently winning formula. 

Gambling for Young or Stroud at 1 is really not a big deal for a middling (at best) franchise--I could see if we had a legacy of winning and missing on them puts us in some sort purgatory that's a fear of the unknown, but we know the downside risk all too well already and haven't earned the history to be against a swing for the fences.

• Pie 5

Just now, BrisbanePanther said:

This is mystifying. I'm convinced that if left up to this board we'd never set our sights on a franchise QB on purpose, but would hope to strike lotto with one that we found in the clearance aisle. Let's be honest, the special place Jake has in everyone's heart is a lot smaller if he was a 1st rounder rather than an undrafted bargain bin find on the Saints bench.

The Carolina Panthers have never traded up or used 1st round capital of any kind to acquire a QB. The Carolina Panthers have also never had back-to-back winning seasons, and in fact have had winning seasons only like 25% of the time since it was a twinkle in Jerry's eye. There are Carolinians going into middle school who are too young to remember their team ever having a winning season.

And yet we argue to do the same as if it's been a consistently winning formula. 

Gambling for Young or Stroud at 1 is really not a big deal for a middling (at best) franchise--I could see if we had a legacy of winning and missing on them puts us in some sort purgatory that's a fear of the unknown, but we know the downside risk all too well already and haven't earned the history to be against a swing for the fences.

I'm mystified that you think that any of us have any influence on what the team does at qb. And please point out this franchise qb to our front office and spare the rest of us the misery of going through another decade of looking for one. I'm sure David Tepper would happily reward you for that bit of prophecy. 

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm mystified that you think that any of us have any influence on what the team does at qb. And please point out this franchise qb to our front office and spare the rest of us the misery of going through another decade of looking for one. I'm sure David Tepper would happily reward you for that bit of prophecy. 

??

Not sure where I said anyone here had influence, because anyone who does probably should be getting paid by the team and not shooting the breeze with us. But I did say if it were left to the forum it would never happen and I stand by that. I also never said that I knew who the franchise QB was, but I'd surely want to see the team do what it took to get one that didn't involve grabbing a piece of coal and hoping it turns into a diamond. 

And almost all of us would happily take Tepper's money if he was offering it in exchange for getting it right. 

• Pie 1