• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF - What would it take for Panthers to trade up for #1 pick

TheSpecialJuan

You guys just don't get it. Any choice they make on a qb is a swing and a risk for the staff. This is their first time together and it sets the groundwork for the direction going forward. 

The options and opportunities are not ideal but they have to adapt to the situation if they are to continue this mad experiment. Any choice they decide to go with in a rookie qb is a swing regardless of round. It's a greater risk for the coach and his reputation but not so much for the team other than a wasted opportunity unless that swing is all you'll have for awhile. 

Going with a vet is a risk and a swing as well because they would be giving it one last bid for the vet qb with a proven veteran staff to make a run while developing a replacement assuming they have one.  It's a greater risk for the coach and possibly the team if the cost for the vet is crippling in the future. 

Any direction they end up going is one big swing at something that inevitably will not be good enough for the majority of this forum. It will be thoroughly entertaining. 

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

It might get you Herbert. I just don't think anyone in this draft is on that level.  Caleb Williams...okay.  CJ Stroud...it's a bit too much.

Really because 2 in this draft were way better passer then Herbert in college… 

And If Physical talent is your point then Levi’s and Richardson are just as talented physically.. Ppl don’t remember Herbert was great at OU

10 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

You're making a big assumption with this post. Let's not for get that Free agency is before the draft.

Why do you think "top tier" free agents would want to come to a team that hasn't had a winning record since 2017?

Why would top tier free agents get excited about coming to a franchise that has never had back to back winning seasons in its 28 year history?

Why do you think Carolina would be a dream destination for top tier free agents when we are currently several millions of dollars over the cap?

I don't think top tier free agents are dying to come to Carolina knowing that the only two QB's currently  on our roster are Matt Corrall and Jacob Eason?

We'll become a desired destination for "top tier free agents" when/if we establish a winning culture. Or, if someone out there is just thrilled with the prospect of playing under the new coaching staff (which I admit is possible).

We've got some nice pieces in place, but we need more. The draft picks we have in 2023 and 2024 really should lay the foundation for future success if we play our cards right. How successful can any franchise QB, or a potential franchise QB in our case, really be if you don't surround him with any good to elite talent at the skill postions or on the defensive side of the ball?

The free agents only have to be as good as the likely rookie and 2nd years of whatever position we would draft in first round next 2 years…guys like Hassan Reddick for example.  

then before you know it we have a draft capital back, the QB who is hopefully franchise is nearing his pay day and you start hitting your first and second rounders again a at those positions. 

it’s all a risk, key though is you have to find a franchise QB in this league with modern rules so this is the logical path IF the coaches have a guy they feel worth the gamble on…..….…..now do the same math but instead we sign say Carr to $30m/year and draft rookies at other positions and hope they do well which is alternative.  Carr isn’t franchise level though and nothing more than an attempt to make playoffs now but not win a superbowl 

57 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Really because 2 in this draft were way better passer then Herbert in college… 

And If Physical talent is your point then Levi’s and Richardson are just as talented physically.. Ppl don’t remember Herbert was great at OU

Then just stay at 9 and draft Richardson.  Look I really want a QB now too, but at what cost?  People are acting like all we have to do is take a qb and we're ready to win the SB.  Trading 3 number 1's is the dumbest thing this franchise could ever do.  If we want to be Superbowl contenders then we should just trade back if our qb isn't there.  We could potentially have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.  We grab our TE, DT, DE, and another WR. 

We go into next year with very little roster deficiencies with a ton of cap room, and potentially a top 15 pick. 

My point is, we need to have a roster strong enough to withstand 3 years without a 1st rounder before we make that kind of move.

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Then just stay at 9 and draft Richardson.  Look I really want a QB now too, but at what cost?  People are acting like all we have to do is take a qb and we're ready to win the SB.  Trading 3 number 1's is the dumbest thing this franchise could ever do.  If we want to be Superbowl contenders then we should just trade back if our qb isn't there.  We could potentially have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.  We grab our TE, DT, DE, and another WR. 

We go into next year with very little roster deficiencies with a ton of cap room, and potentially a top 15 pick. 

My point is, we need to have a roster strong enough to withstand 3 years without a 1st rounder before we make that kind of move.

Agree to disagree 

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

I would rather move up to 3. Unless the staff thinks there’s only one guy in this draft that can be a franchise guy. I reckon at that point go get your man. The other strategies we’ve tried lately have failed miserably. 

If Chicago stays at 1, then I’d be ok just moving up to 3 even though I really prefer Stroud to Young. That might save us a 1st, or at least a 2nd to potentially get Young instead of Stroud. But if it’s looking like Chicago will trade to another team taking a QB, that team needs to be us.  The gap between Stroud/Young and Richardson/Levis is huge imo

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

You guys just don't get it. Any choice they make on a qb is a swing and a risk for the staff. This is their first time together and it sets the groundwork for the direction going forward. 

The options and opportunities are not ideal but they have to adapt to the situation if they are to continue this mad experiment. Any choice they decide to go with in a rookie qb is a swing regardless of round. It's a greater risk for the coach and his reputation but not so much for the team other than a wasted opportunity unless that swing is all you'll have for awhile. 

Going with a vet is a risk and a swing as well because they would be giving it one last bid for the vet qb with a proven veteran staff to make a run while developing a replacement assuming they have one.  It's a greater risk for the coach and possibly the team if the cost for the vet is crippling in the future. 

Any direction they end up going is one big swing at something that inevitably will not be good enough for the majority of this forum. It will be thoroughly entertaining. 

Well said. 

12 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

That's a fair question.  We would need to have a high rating on all 3 similar to the Niners when they traded up for Lance.  It's a double edged sword really because if we wait and see if our top guy drops and he does say another team like ATL gets interested in drafting that same pick at 3 and it turns into a very fast bidding war.  

Lance is the perfect example of what NOT to do. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

If Chicago stays at 1, then I’d be ok just moving up to 3 even though I really prefer Stroud to Young. That might save us a 1st, or at least a 2nd to potentially get Young instead of Stroud. But if it’s looking like Chicago will trade to another team taking a QB, that team needs to be us.  The gap between Stroud/Young and Richardson/Levis is huge imo

You think Houston would take Stroud over Young? I’m not so sure on that. I would feel pretty confident we get Stroud if we move to 3