• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking: Lamar Jackson is available as Raven's have placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on him.

thunderraiden

My best analysis of this so far would be:

1) To the collusion point- I do think the overwhelming majority of owners do not want to see guaranteed contracts become the norm.  After the Watson deal, they want to put that genie back in the bottle.  I feel certain owners have made that abundantly clear behind the scenes.

2) It seems somewhat certain that Baltimore has privately informed teams that they are not going to lose Jackson (i.e. they will match anything reasonable).

3) Given the first two points above, what is in it for any team to become involved in negotiations with Jackson?  The Ravens are not going to let him go, any proposal by another team is mostly just a waste of time (i.e. the Panthers with Watson & Stafford), and it's only going to hurt the league negotiations with other QB's in the future if teams throw out big-money deals to Lamar.

A team could just say eff it and throw out a deal the Ravens won't match, but they will face the ire of all the other owners along with the very real concern about Jackson's injury history.

Add it all up, and this is where we are at.

Conor Orr presents an interesting idea...

Orr's hypothesis is that the Ravens could have used discussion around the Combine to gauge how much of a market there really was for Jackson.

Peter King said he did the same thing and found there wasn't much, or...any.

If the Ravens got the same impression, it would have left them feeling confident that allowing Jackson to negotiate with other teams might educate him into having more... realistic expectations of his contract.

Hell of a theory, to be honest.

Edited by Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Orr's hypothesis is that the Ravens could have used discussion around the Combine to gauge how much of a market there really was for Jackson.

If the Ravens got the same impression, it would have left them feeling confident that allowing Jackson to negotiate with other teams might educate him into having more... realistic expectations of his contract.

I just don’t understand all the teams wanting DW4 and no one wants Lamar…

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's pretty safe to say his mom doesn't have the connections to pick up the phone and talk to different people in the organizations to guage interest. Not hiring an agent is going to cost him far more than it saves him. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I just don’t understand all the teams wanting DW4 and no one wants Lamar…

Said elsewhere Watson's contract likely had an impact on Jackson's, maybe a big one.

It's highly possible that if the Watson contract hadn't happened yet, things might be different. But since it did, and it left a lot of people with bad feelings, here we are.

5 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Who are some previous guys who had contract disputes that got tagged, and how did it turn out? I know there was a major one some years ago but I can't for the life of me remember who. I want to say a DE/DT/LB or a WR. I sort of recall the same guy got tagged years in a row??

Dak 

suggs

orlando pace

leveon bell off the top of my head.

13 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Who are some previous guys who had contract disputes that got tagged, and how did it turn out? I know there was a major one some years ago but I can't for the life of me remember who. I want to say a DE/DT/LB or a WR. I sort of recall the same guy got tagged years in a row??

Might be thinking of Walter Jones (Seahawks)

36 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

My best analysis of this so far would be:

1) To the collusion point- I do think the overwhelming majority of owners do not want to see guaranteed contracts become the norm.  After the Watson deal, they want to put that genie back in the bottle.  I feel certain owners have made that abundantly clear behind the scenes.

2) It seems somewhat certain that Baltimore has privately informed teams that they are not going to lose Jackson (i.e. they will match anything reasonable).

3) Given the first two points above, what is in it for any team to become involved in negotiations with Jackson?  The Ravens are not going to let him go, any proposal by another team is mostly just a waste of time (i.e. the Panthers with Watson & Stafford), and it's only going to hurt the league negotiations with other QB's in the future if teams throw out big-money deals to Lamar.

A team could just say eff it and throw out a deal the Ravens won't match, but they will face the ire of all the other owners along with the very real concern about Jackson's injury history.

Add it all up, and this is where we are at.

If point 2 were true, why even open him up to negotiations to begin with?

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Said elsewhere Watson's contract likely had an impact on Jackson's, maybe a big one.

It's highly possible that if the Watson contract hadn't happened yet, things might be different. But since it did, and it left a lot of people with bad feelings, here we are.

Which is exactly why I think there’s collusion.