• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New trade down theory coming out of League circles

Growl

This makes the most sense for the Bears IMO.  

But if I'm the Texans, I would have to be 100% convinced the difference between Young and Stroud warrants giving up what they would probably have to to secure #1.  

• Beer 1

The problem  that could arise for Chicago is that they may not net as much capital if they move to 2 and then we just trade to the 3 with the Cards. It'd be a gamble because  I'm sure to trade to 2 won't net them that much  in return from Houston. 

• Beer 1

It depends on our QB rankings, I'd say they'd need to have this ironed out for both moves before they hit the Texans trade.

If they go to 2 it could reduce the amount the colts want to pay and they could potentially end up with no future firsts because I dont see the Texans giving one either. They'd need us or the Colts to be game to move to 2 with the appropriate package to really hit the trade with the Texans.

I'll be a little surprised if the Texans are that motivated to move up a pick.

10 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

The problem  that could arise for Chicago is that they may not net as much capital if they move to 2 and then we just trade to the 3 with the Cards. It'd be a gamble because  I'm sure to trade to 2 won't net them that much  in return from Houston. 

Yeah, what would that even look like?  Has a team ever traded from 2 to 1?  Im sure its probably happened but I cannot recall.  I would think it would only net Chicago maybe a 2nd and something like a future 3rd or 4th?

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, joemac said:

Yeah, what would that even look like?  Has a team ever traded from 2 to 1?  Im sure its probably happened but I cannot recall.  I would think it would only net Chicago maybe a 2nd and something like a future 3rd or 4th?

Bears traded from 3 to 2 for Trubisky and got like two 3rds and a fourth. Feels like it could just net out where our package would reduce close to what the Texans pay.

So only way it really makes sense is if we have a limit we are willing to pay we refuse to go over and we have 2 QBs we like a lot. The Bears could reduce the cost to move to 9 via the Texans package to move to 1 or something, and then we could align on value.

• Beer 1

this would effectively be a three team trade, if Chicago and Houston agreed to a deal there would already be a handshake agreement in place for a pick swap of 2 and 9.

We couldn’t “screw them over,” the deals would be announced likely one after the other

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, joemac said:

They’ll be motivated if they know #1 is going to someone else. 

For the bears, they could get a 2nd this year from the Texans plus a 1st (next year), 2nd this year, maybe a 2nd next year from us.

8 minutes ago, stan786 said:

It depends on our QB rankings, I'd say they'd need to have this ironed out for both moves before they hit the Texans trade.

If they go to 2 it could reduce the amount the colts want to pay and they could potentially end up with no future firsts because I dont see the Texans giving one either. They'd need us or the Colts to be game to move to 2 with the appropriate package to really hit the trade with the Texans.

I'll be a little surprised if the Texans are that motivated to move up a pick.

Houston caring enough about having a specific guy is the biggest obstacle here, but there is a bit of motivation for them do so:

scewing Indy over.

they take a guy, we take a guy, colts get the scraps