• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lombardi: Panthers trying to trade Corral. Can be had for a "ham sandwich"

SuperBowlBound

29 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

That's why it would be a Rhulean decision to trade him before camp.

I don’t know. If he isn’t gonna be ready by camp, or they figure him to be too far behind to meaningfully compete, that’s the breaks. 
Also, you have to figure Indy scouted him too. Maybe there is something there. 

[makes me wonder if there is anything in the Indy combine blogs or something from last year]

Edited by stratocatter

24 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

LMAO. Lombardi and the rest of them are just throwing poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. Don't know why so many of you are waiting there to lap it up as it slides down the wall. He has no idea what Reich and the Panthers are doing.

He isnt throwing poo he is simply doing the math on corral. 

6 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

There’s gotta be a plan in place that’s been pretty much agreed to by both sides. Being either the Bears or Cards

Right, if we're at least not kicking the tires on Lamar and ARod, it tells me that we already have a plan and/or trade worked out to get our rookie.  This staff doesn't seem like the type to just let the chips fall where they may....especially after the last 4 years or so around here. 

If this is true, Tepper does not deserve to ever have a winning football team. We traded this year's round 3 pick to drop down for Corral, and we are going to trade him for nothing? We also gave away CMC to try to make up for picks squandering by the Tepper brain trust. How on earth did this guy get rich? I realize it was something unrelated to football but still.   

If we’re drafting a QB high (which is immensely likely), he’s got little use outside of being developmental backup behind a QB2 veteran like Brissett. 

So, if our staff prefers getting a late rounder for him instead, it could happen. Especially if we’re using capital on a trade up. Might as well get something for him if they don’t want him. Every team passed on him 3 times so makes sense there’s not much value. Who knows where some teams had him ranked last year.

• Pie 1

If he is to be believed, we have wasted at least 10 draft picks on QB's in the last three years. Let that sink in. Now Tepper is going to be okay with mortgaging our future to move up? The Cardinals did that for....Josh Rosen. Look how that worked out. No trade-ups in the Top 10 have worked for QB's in the last decade. Mitch Trubisky and Josh Rosen say helllllooooo.

Insanity at this point.

I also think Lombardi is full of crap. 

3 hours ago, Icege said:

Drive 1

• Play 1: Run up the middle
  • Play 2: Run up the middle
  • Play 3: Pass for 1st down conversion on 3rd & 6
  • Play 4: Run up the middle
  • Play 5: Pass to Kirkwood on a slant route, gets blown up and drops it
  • Play 6: Pass that gets swatted down at the line after the DE beats the RT off of the snap
  • Play 7: Punt

Drive 2

• Play 1: Pass attempt where Corral scrambles for no gain after Rivera decides to dial up the blitz in a preseason game against a 4th string QB that's been losing reps to a QB competition he's not a part of (the blitzing LB blew up the RB in pass pro)
  • Play 2: Pass attempt that goes incomplete as Corral is forced to throw it away after keeping the play alive with his legs due to his LT being immediately beaten off of the snap with nobody open
  • Play 3: Pass attempt that goes incomplete. Corral was being sacked at the time as Rivera had called another blitz and not only did the LB come through this time untouched, but both DEs cleanly beat the OTs. Play was dead before it even began.
  • Play 4: Punt

Drive 3

• Play 1: Incomplete screen pass. Horrible throw by Corral here, all on him.
  • Play 2: Corral scrambles to avoid getting sacked as the LT is completely destroyed by the DE once again (picture below)
  • Play 3: Run for a decent gain and a 1st down on an RPO
  • Play 4: Incomplete pass on an out route. Pass was high and could have been placed better, but an NFL TE should come down with that. Not entirely Corral, but he didn't exactly make it any better.
  • Play 5: Incomplete pass as the WR stops his route instead of continuing to the open spot that Corral threw it to.
  • Play 6: Corral sacked Rivera brings 6 on 3rd & 10. Deonte Brown missed bad on the blitzing LB that forced Corral to scramble into the pursuing arms of the DT. Play is saved by a penalty on Washington.
  • Play 7: Run up the middle
  • Play 8: Out route to a TE again, much better ball but the TE drops it because he's afraid to take the hit from the defender.
  • Play 9: Play is called dead since Corral's helmet was ripped off by the DE that went right around the LT (sound familiar?). Rivera once again called a blitz, but the Panthers get the 1st down on the facemask call that puts them in FG range with under a minute remaining
  • Play 10: Run
  • Play 11: Run
  • Play 12: Run
  • Play 13: Game winning FG
  •  

This was the scramble for 6yds that Corral had prior to the RPO that went for a chunk during the 3rd drive.
image.png.9f1b569d0de4039251cdebbbc8c753ae.png

I genuinely do not understand how folks can watch that preseason game vs. Washington and walk away thinking anything bad about Matt Corral. Don't get me wrong, it also isn't exactly a clear cut example that he should start this coming season but it does show that he played better than given credit (especially considering the circumstances). That OL he was behind was abysmal, and his receivers didn't do him any favors dropping passes or giving up on routes.

I appreciate the write up, but I’ve pretty much given up defending Corral’s preseason. There are people who won’t change their mind regardless of explanation and context. 

He just sucked. He should have elevated the guys around him. He was also playing against 4th stringers. That’s the mindset. College tape doesn’t matter. He’s too small (though Young isn’t I guess). 

I mean there are people who are borderline vicious when discussing him. For being a mere 3rd round pick, some are really threatened by his presence in the roster. 

We should draft a QB AND keep Corral, because all that matters is fixing the QB spot, so why eliminate a young option who you just drafted? 

5 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Which is what? He was getting 8 reps a day in Fall Camp last year. Then the Huddle acts like his Preseason games were indicative of something. Lombardi is full of crap. 

From page 1.  Its not hard when you read the tea leaves: 

Hes hurt, Reich didnt draft him, Reich normally doesnt carry 3 qbs and we signed Eason (a reich pick) as a project.  We are getting ready to draft a guy in the top 10 and sign a vet. 

I dont want to trade corral either but brother if people cannot see his ass is on the chopping block then thats on them.