• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Confused Why Some Seem to Think We Got Fleeced

Daddy_Uncle

2 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Same here. I thought for sure it would cost next years first and 2025's  first

Bears get a young WR1 under contract for three more years who has proven himself in the NFL was more important to Chicago than a 2025 first. It sets their WR room up from a question mark to an asset. And out of the other options to trade for out there, DJ was significantly better or significantly younger than the other options. A 2025 first doesn’t help Justin Fields out next season. They need the help now. For a team that feels they have their guy at QB, they just dropped 8 spots in the draft and picked up a known WR1, will still get an elite player at 9, and picked up a few more staters along the way. It’s a fair deal for everyone. 

Now WE are the team that desperately needs a WR to sign here. But I’m not sure how many are going to want to sign to play with a rookie. 

• Beer 1

Because they listen to the pundits who are biased toward big market teams like Chicago.  This is a good trade for Chicago too IF Justin Fields develops into a true franchise QB and a competent passer  (jury's still out).  It'll also be interesting to see if  DJ Moore can prove to be the WR1 that Fields needs to do that.  

For the Panthers, it's absolutely a great trade assuming that CJ Stroud or B. Young is our franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.  Simple as that and totally worth it.

I honestly thought we would have to give up two additional firsts and trading DJ instead is better because I'm not sure he has that value with his contract. 

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 3

Moore was a good, solid WR.  He did not instill fear in defenses--someone said it best, "He is a #2."  His contract was team friendly as a #1.

In an article from Green Bay after Rhule was fired, the writer suggested/estimated that a trade for Moore would cost: " If there is a deal to be done, it could be a for 2023 2nd-round pick and a 2024 4th-rounder."

https://wisportsheroics.com/is-a-dj-moore-trade-feasible-for-the-packers/

So yes, instead of a 2025 first round selection, they basically got the 2023 equivalent of a second and fourth.  This was worth it for the Bears because Fields needs veteran WR help now, and it was worth it for the Panthers, who probably did not want to go more than 1 year without a first round selection.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Varking said:

That’s not as bad than. I was under the impression we gave up ‘24 and ‘25.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Even though we gave up a prime tangible asset to do it. Fitts finally being aggressive(or more likely not being held back). Now we hold the keys and can milk Houston. If that other rumor is true. 

It is a risk. Only time will tell. 

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I was actually shocked how low the price was.

Yep!  Same!

We did not mortgage away our entire draft.  We are only missing first rounder next year.  Also, we are building for next year when we will have over $100M in cap space and QB on rookie deal.

Just remember, we gave up first for Everette Brown once. 

Edited by Lame Duck
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

36 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

1 first
2 seconds
DJ Moore

That's not a lot to give up for the #1 pick. WRs are easier to get than QBs. We have messed around with the QB situation for years and it hasn't worked. Now we have OUR choice. Not whoever is left over. We control this draft. 

I would have expected to give up more to get to #1 from #9. 

The qb pool is a low value...still overpaid for the move. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

I thought it was a very fair trade for both teams. So considering how many QB needy teams we needed to jump I thought we did very well 

I think Moore is going to go off in Chicago. He is a much better deep threat than people realize due to our QB situation over the years. Moore and Fields will make for an exciting duo

At the end of the day, nothing matters in this league unless you have your QB. So this was a trade we had to make

• Pie 7