• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Veteran QB Do We Sign to Mentor the Rookie QB?

tukafan21

4 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Yes and no

He'll do that, but you still need a player and not a coach to be that guy for a rookie QB, it needs to be a peer, not one of his coaches.  When McCown gets on him for doing something wrong, he needs that vet QB to then pull him aside afterwards and be his friend, it's not a coaches job to be the friend, it's to coach.  He needs that vet to be in the locker next to his and talking to him all the time, coaches don't spend a ton of time in the locker room itself, that's the player's area.

I think it's one of the reasons Lawrence had a rough rookie year.  He had a demanding coach in Urban, but he didn't have that vet QB to help him along, he had Minshew who was trying to beat him out for the job in camp and then CJ Bethard as his backup during the season.

We need the Derek Anderson to Cam Newton for this rookie

McCown is more or less a peer.  He is an extreme veteran qb not far removed from playing ball himself.  He is a mentor, who was hired to be specifically that.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheMaulClaw said:

McCown is more or less a peer.  He is an extreme veteran qb not far removed from playing ball himself.  He is a mentor, who was hired to be specifically that.

Josh is literally twice as old as Stroud/Young... He's QB coach, NOT a mentor or peer. 

And I disagree with the notion that a mentor at backup QB is necessary, if it works out great but plenty of successful QBs have come into the league without a mentor. I'd rather focus on finding a legit solid backup who can win a game or two if needed. Brissett makes a lot of sense. Also Minshew but he may be looking for somewhere that he has a chance to start which he won't get here.

I think Corral could be dealt for a pick. They brought in Eason and Walker is floating around FA for cheap money and Reich knows both of them. I imagine it’s Eason and some veteran he has rubbed shoulders with at some point like Brissett or Foles.

The best QB mentor we can pick up IMO is Wentz....not because we want him on the field, like at all, but because he knows Reich's expectations and can be that 4th voice behind Reich, Brown, and McCown to physically show the new QB on the field during practice.  And he is a decent enough backup in case of injury...and should be cheaper than most.  

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Josh is literally twice as old as Stroud/Young... He's QB coach, NOT a mentor or peer. 

And I disagree with the notion that a mentor at backup QB is necessary, if it works out great but plenty of successful QBs have come into the league without a mentor. I'd rather focus on finding a legit solid backup who can win a game or two if needed. Brissett makes a lot of sense. Also Minshew but he may be looking for somewhere that he has a chance to start which he won't get here.

There is nothing a "mentor" would offer that McCown wouldn't. This isn't Mike Shula.

Now a capable back up is a good idea.  But a young QB with McCown, Reich, and Caldwell doesn't need a mentor signing.

Edited by TheMaulClaw