• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent Updates

Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Wow. That would really free up the #39 pick considering we already signed a TE too. 

Not really, neither Chark or Thielen are #1 WRs, I still think Chark is still pretty similar to TMJ and would just be a redundancy and take away time from TMJ who still has potential.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

With Hopkins, I just can’t imagine he would actually want to play here.

It has to work for both sides at the end of the day and I just don’t see him wanting to play with a rookie at this stage in his career…regardless of coach, our defense, Clemson connection, his cousin, etc.

I disagree, I think we should be a very attractive team for Hopkins for a variety of reasons.

First being that he's from SC and played at Clemson, so it would basically be a homecoming for him.

Then, with a rookie QB, he'd likely see a TON of targets, particularly given the rest of our WR room at the moment.  Cam's rookie year was one of the best seasons Smitty had in his career, for that same reason.  If he were to go to a contending team with an established QB and better WRs, the ball would be spread around much more and he'd see a fraction of the targets he'd get here this year.

Also, while I'm guessing Hopkins wants to play for a contender and we're not really that yet, we get a hell of a lot closer if we were to get a #1 WR such as himself.  He knows that the most likely path to contending these days is with a rookie QB contract, our window for contending would really be open from 2024-2026, so why not get on the team a year before that, put up huge stats for that first year and then be the #1 WR on a contending team while essentially playing back at home.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

19 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I disagree, I think we should be a very attractive team for Hopkins for a variety of reasons.

First being that he's from SC and played at Clemson, so it would basically be a homecoming for him.

Then, with a rookie QB, he'd likely see a TON of targets, particularly given the rest of our WR room at the moment.  Cam's rookie year was one of the best seasons Smitty had in his career, for that same reason.  If he were to go to a contending team with an established QB and better WRs, the ball would be spread around much more and he'd see a fraction of the targets he'd get here this year.

Also, while I'm guessing Hopkins wants to play for a contender and we're not really that yet, we get a hell of a lot closer if we were to get a #1 WR such as himself.  He knows that the most likely path to contending these days is with a rookie QB contract, our window for contending would really be open from 2024-2026, so why not get on the team a year before that, put up huge stats for that first year and then be the #1 WR on a contending team while essentially playing back at home.

I agree with this but I would add one more important reason... he would be getting a new contract!

Pay him and im sure he will be happy wherever he gets traded.

34 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Wants to play back at home.

The classic Panthers fan argument. #hometowndiscount

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Wants to play back at home.

The classic Panthers fan argument. #hometowndiscount

Nobody said anything about a hometown discount, we can still pay him market value, particularly with how much cap we have available next year, an extension can be signed that lessens his cap hit this year while structuring the contract to use that cap room next year to eat a bulk of it then.

And seeing as he's from SC, played college ball at Clemson, and his cousin who also played with him both in High School and in college just signed with us, it's not at all far fetched that if he can't get a trade to an immediate title contender like KC or Buffalo, then I'd think we'd be as attractive to him as any other team out there.

He's already come out and said he's not going to ask for top WR money in any extension from a team that signs him, he just wants out of that mess in Arizona at this point.

9 minutes ago, PanthersFan1234 said:

I thought you said Theilen is not signing here? 

8 minutes ago, PanthersFan1234 said:

I ended up being right since Thielen is officially a Panther, now shut up 

Yo dude relax. We are all here to root for this team, not go at each other’s throat because one person is more right than the other.

there was a kid who said theilen told him he wasn’t going to sign with the panthers. There was proof they chatted. I shared that… and it appears things have changed. 

celebrate the news, don’t go after other posters.

• Pie 6

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Yo dude relax. We are all here to root for this team, not go at each other’s throat because one person is more right than the other.

there was a kid who said theilen told him he wasn’t going to sign with the panthers. There was proof they chatted. I shared that… and it appears things have changed. 

celebrate the news, don’t go after other posters.

Seriously it’s all very fluid. He didn’t sign the day he met with us and the day he met your friend. Who knows what happened between then and now. Regardless we should all be happy. 

• Pie 2