• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign Bengals TE Hayden Hurst

TheSpecialJuan

Wow, that's way too much money for a middling TE in Hurst.

Easily could have gotten Gesicki for that number, I'd have been willing to pay a little more to get Schultz too, this feels like an overpay instead of using that money towards a WR or something.

Not a fan of this one

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

On page 4 of this thread, I wrote "I am guessing $22m/3 years."  I was wrong.  Seriously--he was given an annual value of $6.8m on Spotrac and I read somewhere else that his value was around $9m per. It seems a bit steep, but I am not sure they had a lot of interest in many other free agent TEs...Dunno

Manhertz got $3m per.  TE is a position people are valuing more now.

Seems that way.

Just now, tukafan21 said:

Wow, that's way too much money for a middling TE in Hurst.

Easily could have gotten Gesicki for that number, I'd have been willing to pay a little more to get Schultz too, this feels like an overpay instead of using that money towards a WR or something.

Not a fan of this one

You think Gesicki is angling to be the 20th highest paid TE in the league right now?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

You think Gesicki is angling to be the 20th highest paid TE in the league right now?

I don't think he has much of a choice, I don't think there are many teams with the cap space left to give out big TE contracts at the moment.

If the top WR's in this FA class so far are getting $11 million a year, are you really giving that much up for Gesicki?

No chance

He's gonna get around $7 million a year in the end

10 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Statistically he's about the 18th best tight end in the league. His contract is about the 18th highest annual average for a tight end.

Now I have 0 idea how he ranks as a blocker and would have to googl that.

Not his specialty but

With right tackle La’el Collins essentially out for the rest of the year, the Bengals might have to utilize Hurst in pass blocking more than usual. Hurst has averaged a 74.2 pass blocking grade in his last three games where’s been graded for pass blocking,

Maybe he'll be this team's Greg Olsen, former 1st round pick that didn't live up to his 1st round status until arriving in Carolina and suddenly becoming a top TE. One can only hope.

As far as the contract goes, what did you realistically expect? He's getting about $1.5 million more per year than Ian Thomas with an inflated cap. He's getting almost the same amount as Josh Oliver who had 14 catches for 149 yards for the entire year. That's definitely fair market value, if not a decent bargain for today's going rate. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

12 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Maybe he'll be this team's Greg Olsen, former 1st round pick that didn't live up to his 1st round status until arriving in Carolina and suddenly becoming a top TE. One can only hope.

Anything can happen but Greg's start to his career was much better than Hurst's (especially considering the eras) and Greg was 26 his first year here, Hurst will be 30 in August.