• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Thomas takes pay cut

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, ladypanther said:

Some of you are forgetting that we have a real NFL staff now.

This is my thinking as well, so refreshing yet it feels like it's been soo long most have forgotten what that is like.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Would have rather saw him be a June 1st cut.

Signing TE Hayden Hurst was a giant start  in improving the TE situation but I would still like to see it cleaned up even more  by getting shed of some of the remaining dead wood.

I like Ian Thomas more today than I did yesterday. Very selfless move and seems like a win-win. 

I would still like for us to draft a TE in R3 this year given how deep it is...I'm sure one of the big names will slip.

With Hurst here, Thomas expiring next year and Tremble's upside, we have a two-year window to find our future stud TE. 

Either way, I think this staff will get Tremble into a top-flight TE2 and potentially low-end TE1. He was very raw coming out of ND....good thing the OC's specialty is TEs. 

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Is it? We save $2M but now he’s likely finishing the contract out as a TE2 splitting time with Tremble. His 2023 salary was $3.2M already so we would have save that and his 2024 salary if we released him. That would have also opened a spot for a rookie TE. Hurst, Tremble and rookie seems like a much better deal and more savings.

Why er don’t just rip the bandaid off sometimes, I don’t know. He’s not a good blocker and he barely catches anything and now he’s not TE1.

Right now that $2 million and not having to fill the roster spot could be important. Had we cut him and had to back fill there's an expense there. There's also a shortage of draft pick spots right now and while TE was much, much more important to fill a few days ago, now we're looking at really having to use that on WR, perhaps multiple times.

Lastly, neither you nor I know how big of a deal Thomas is in the locker room and if the rebuild is going to really take off fast, sometimes you keep some of these guys just to keep it from looking like we're having a wholesale hog killing.

We may need him for Special Teams, too, where he has been a contributor, if not a standout. Warm bodies and all...

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

Need to get at least 1 WR in FA, 1 via draft 

Getting the WR cleared up is my main concern. Hopefully, the Panthers are able to pull some rabbits (WR's) out of the hat sooner, rather than later.

It's not like there are that many obtainable ones out there to select from.

• Pie 1