• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers Glorious WR History

Seltzer

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have shared my position on Smitty being a bad teammate--how he abused Dwayne Jarrett at OTAs, etc.  Some players make those around them better, some make them worse.  If you have played competitive sports beyond high school, you probably see how this can happen.

Bold Statement:  I think one of our PS WRs will emerge this season.  Derek Wright is my prediction to become a part of the WR team.

Preston Williams is my pick, hes the super super super sleeper savior for WR. He looked like he was on the way to being a solid #2, injuries hit and now he may be fully healed. He had a good 8 game or so run where he made a difference. 

June cuts are still coming, same for right after the draft, member meshawn after jarrett got drafted.......that has happened since as well. 

15 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I'm certainly hopeful it gets better with our offensive-minded coaching staff.

God knows it couldn't be much worse.

For all the success thus franchise has had in terms of drafting and developing LBers, our history with WRs has been as bad as any team in the league.

Defensive players in general have always been the hallmark of this team. That and running backs. Hopefully that changes with an offensive HC.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have shared my position on Smitty being a bad teammate--how he abused Dwayne Jarrett at OTAs, etc.  Some players make those around them better, some make them worse.  If you have played competitive sports beyond high school, you probably see how this can happen.

Bold Statement:  I think one of our PS WRs will emerge this season.  Derek Wright is my prediction to become a part of the WR team.

Last year, in limited preseason action, he was targeted 7 times and caught 5 passes.  He had 84 yards and averaged nearly 17 yards per catch.  He has excellent hands, ran a 4.55 40 in college, and is 6' 1" and just under 200 lbs.  As the fifth or sixth WR, I can see him having a good camp and preseason--and with the opportunities at WR on this roster, he could stick.

Smitty definitely wasn't a great teammate, but it's not like any of those WRs we had during those years went on to do anything else outside of Carolina. He was notoriously hard on the young WRs but on that particular "bad teammate" issue he may have been right. Those dudes just didn't want it. It wasn't a lack of talent, it was a lack of desire. From Colbert to Jarrett to LaFell to KB to Funchess. We had WR talent over the years, we just didn't have any talent that was hungry to be great. It wasn't a lack of drafting the right talent, it was that we drafted the wrong men.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

I will die on this hill if KB didn’t fug his knee that preseason he would have taken a major leap. He was killing that preseason 

I think so too but I think he would've likely had a David Boston type career. Ultimately he just didn't have the dog in him to last long-term. He would've eventually hit a bump in the road and whatever it was it was gonna derail him. Unfortunately, he got the double whammy of blowing out his knee and losing his mom so the derail came fast and hard.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Pretty unbelievable that we've really only drafted and developed three legit starting NFL WRrs in Smitty, Moose, and DJ in 30 years. We average one a decade.

And yet we traded Moore away. 

I get it, QB is more important,  but we don't exactly have a strong record with drafting receivers. 

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

pretty sure that was the year every receiver and their mother got hurt for us... Players who were on that roster:

1. Curtis Samuel
2. KB
3. D Funchess
4. Russell Sheopard
5. Dameire Byrd

WR was a position of strength heading into the season... so I dont think we can call it malfeasance 

Switching Ginn for Shepard was a fireable offense in itself.

Edited by frankw

5 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

And yet we traded Moore away. 

I get it, QB is more important,  but we don't exactly have a strong record with drafting receivers. 

You know what else Im worried about, most of these scouts have been around since fox and RR. Mainly 4-3 defense type/system.........now panthers are switching to 3-4, just a different set of skills are needed. Not to mention they struggled finding decent 4-3 DLmen too, so now they know what to look for in 3-4 DLmen and LBs??

Edited by Basbear

1 hour ago, travisura said:

2017 is the turd that floats to the top of this group.

It’s a wonder what Cam did that year leading us to the playoffs and a near road upset of the Aints. Granted we did have Olsen and pretty elite RBs but still.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

I will die on this hill if KB didn’t fug his knee that preseason he would have taken a major leap. He was killing that preseason 

That and his mom dying totally ruined his career. Really a bummer. He was a stud in the playoffs his rookie year too, was going off against the prime legion of boom