• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My role is to take the ball deep take the top off the defense… let’s bring in Hardman

TheBigKat

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

We can't afford him.  Our remaining cap is 12 million . . . we need 12 million to sign our rookies, assuming no more trades.  The only thing remaining is the Shaq extension which still hasn't been announced.

The cap is a myth… if we want him done he wants to be here then Fitt can make it happen

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

We can't afford him.  Our remaining cap is 12 million . . . we need 12 million to sign our rookies, assuming no more trades.  The only thing remaining is the Shaq extension which still hasn't been announced.

The net Cap hit for signing Rookies is never anywhere close to that.

10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Have you seen all the contracts they've been handing out? None of the cap hits have been more than $3.3m. They can easily do another deal for a WR like Chark.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Floppin said:

The net Cap hit for signing Rookies is never anywhere close to that.

Yes, and no.

In our case, it won't be much less.  The reason it is often viewed as less is because the rookies salary takes the place of another salary.  For this team, the players who will be replaced by the rookies are bottom of the roster players.  The lowest salaries we have - Deonte Brown, Arron Mosby, Sam Tecklenburg.

You also have to consider that the deals for Theilen, McCray and Williams aren't factored into the 12 million of free space yet.

Chances seem good that we're done in FA.

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Chark is not ideal, but he has to be the #1 target right now. 

I think that he's more ideal than Hardman. The only reason that I can think of why Chark isn't ideal is that he hasn't stayed healthy. But, if he gets over the injury bug, he has that WR1-high end 2 upside. 

I just don't see Hardman as a WR1 under any circumstances. I don't quite understand why some people are blowing him up. He's a WR3 on most rosters. He's an upgrade to Shi Smith on ours.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Yes, and no.

In our case, it won't be much less.  The reason it is often viewed as less is because the rookies salary takes the place of another salary.  For this team, the players who will be replaced by the rookies are bottom of the roster players.  The lowest salaries we have - Deonte Brown, Arron Mosby, Sam Tecklenburg.

You also have to consider that the deals for Theilen, McCray and Williams aren't factored into the 12 million of free space yet.

Chances seem good that we're done in FA.

Yes, I'm aware of how it works. Worst case our rookie class is projected to have a net cap hit of around 8million.

https://overthecap.com/draft

But if we want to sign someone that we couldn't currently afford we can do more cap maneuvering. The cap situation is very fluid.

Edited by Floppin

37 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Looks like overthecap has all the up to date numbers so far and they are showing 24 million in cap space.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers

• Pie 1