• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk Terrace Marshall

TheMaulClaw

Sort of surprised there hasn't been a thread on him yet considering the obvious.  What should we realistically expect out of Marshall this year?  Last season he had 28 receptions for 490 yards with 47 targets.  That's an average of 17.5 ypc which is pretty strong compared to other wrs around the league.  His production was limited in the first 4 games under Rhule, and slowed down during the last 2 games of the year.  The Tampa game at the end of the year was by far his worst recording two fumbles in that game, his only two fumbles of the year. 

Marshall seems to excel as a downfield receiver in terms of ypc, but his lack of targets and catches point to separation/route running issues.  Obviously there were QB issues as well and that didn't help his cause. 

This is a make or break year for Marshall.  Considering his injury issues at LSU, his rookie season should be chalked up as a wash as it was about health and physical conditioning.  This past season we saw some flashes with some big plays, yet he was remarkably inconsistent and seemed to disappear for long stretches. 

Considering the talent level of the new coaches, at minimum it would seem to be a failure of a season for Marshall if he doesn't at least have 50 catches this season.  More catches likely mean a lower ypc average.  I'd project around 13 to 15 ypc.  On the high end this is 750 yards receiving and on the low 650 yards.  This seems to be an appropriate minimum standard for his production that would justify securing him for the future. 

The kid has some big play talent, but fundamentally breaking the press and short yardage routes seem to be the primary area that he needs to focus on improving.

Marshall also needs to pick up his play in the redzone.  He is not a small receiver and has plenty of physical ability.  One touchdown all season that came in a blowout loss in garbage time is highly unacceptable and also may point to a need to get stronger for contested catches.

I think that an offensive scheme change will greatly benefit Marshall as well working with Thielen in terms of route running technique.  I will leave it to discussion about whether or not we see him developing into a legitimate offensive weapon or going the way of Dwayne Jarrett.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 8

Right now I would assume he's penciled in as a starter outside. Chark and Marshall outside, Thielen in the slot. My hope is 800+ yards. 1000+ would be awesome.

Chark, Marshall, and Thielen need to combine for about 1500 yards between them. 500 from Hurst. Another 500 or so from the other WRs. Another 250 or so from the other TEs. Toss in 500 combined from the RBs and that gets your rookie QB comfortable over 3000 passing yards.

If the rookie is a baller, I could easily see Chark, Marshall, and Thielen producing a combined 2000 yards IF Chark plays all 17 games.

• Pie 6

i think hes going to break out

he was stuck in the Matt Rhule doghouse of all places, and when he did get run last season he had his share or below average QBs and an OC that was wiping pastry dust off his shirt. 

Hes flashed and I really think he needs an opportunity with both volume and competent QB and scheme and I really think he can pop. 

i envision him as a very solid WR2 and I feel like that should be the expectation. 

• Pie 4

Just now, The Huddler said:

i think hes going to break out

he was stuck in the Matt Rhule doghouse of all places, and when he did get run last season he had his share or below average QBs and an OC that was wiping pastry dust off his shirt. 

Hes flashed and I really think he needs an opportunity with both volume and competent QB and scheme and I really think he can pop. 

i envision him as a very solid WR2 and I feel like that should be the expectation. 

We've definitely seen that Matt Rhule not playing a guy isn't necessarily indicative of him not being able to play (Bozeman). I really hope that Reich is a guy who is just going to play the best damn players. I really didn't feel like Ron or Rhule did that. Ron had his favorites based largely on loyalty. Rhule had his favorites seemingly based on his ego. Just play the best players.

• Pie 5

As you guys said. Its time to put up the numbers now. Seemed like he came on a little at the tail end of the season when Darnold was playing pretty good. Seems to operate well mid/deep. Not a lot of YAC. 

Another interesting prospect is Preston Williams, I think an injury history but had a pretty good year in Miami I believe. 

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We've definitely seen that Matt Rhule not playing a guy isn't necessarily indicative of him not being able to play (Bozeman). I really hope that Reich is a guy who is just going to play the best damn players. I really didn't feel like Ron or Rhule did that. Ron had his favorites based largely on loyalty. Rhule had his favorites seemingly based on his ego. Just play the best players.

This is a key point that gives me some optimism. 

In my mind, Bozeman being a vet was in a much better position to come in and excel at his job.  TMJ, on the other hand, was a raw NFL player coming back from injury while trying to get his feet under him so I can see where he wasn't able to flourish.  He needs a healthy off-season and some competent coaching.  Hopefully the added pressure is not too much for him and he can take a leap forward.   As its been said previously, he has several areas he needs to work on but has also shown signs that he is very capable. 

• Beer 1

Call me crazy but I’m not worried about him at all.

It’s been said, but he was in the doghouse for unknown reasons. 

He flashed down the stretch and made some great catches. 

We now have actually offensive coaches, and better options at QB (at least I’ll assume this).

55-75 catches

800-1000+ yards 

6-10 TD’s

Those are windows that I think are realistic, and honestly I’m satisfied if he falls anywhere in there. Just keep improving.

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Right now I would assume he's penciled in as a starter outside. Chark and Marshall outside, Thielen in the slot. My hope is 800+ yards. 1000+ would be awesome.

Chark, Marshall, and Thielen need to combine for about 1500 yards between them. 500 from Hurst. Another 500 or so from the other WRs. Another 250 or so from the other TEs. Toss in 500 combined from the RBs and that gets your rookie QB comfortable over 3000 passing yards.

If the rookie is a baller, I could easily see Chark, Marshall, and Thielen producing a combined 2000 yards IF Chark plays all 17 games.

Baller from day 1 or not, in a Frank Reich pass first offense our rookie should be able to get 4000+ passing yards in 17 games. I'd be disappointed if our top 3 WRs combine for less than 2000 (accounting for health, i.e. if Chark misses time, whoever moves up in the lineup's stats would count towards that top 3 season cumulative).

45 minutes ago, t96 said:

Baller from day 1 or not, in a Frank Reich pass first offense our rookie should be able to get 4000+ passing yards in 17 games. I'd be disappointed if our top 3 WRs combine for less than 2000 (accounting for health, i.e. if Chark misses time, whoever moves up in the lineup's stats would count towards that top 3 season cumulative).

Just keeping in mind, there's only been four 4000 yard rookie QBs in NFL history. Yeah it's a pass happy league now and yeah there's an extra game but setting 4000 yards as the floor is asking a LOT.