• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Graziano: People in the league believe Panthers drafting CJ Stroud

TheSpecialJuan

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Breer on the QB question...

From Fid (@RandyFidler): You're the Panthers GM draft day. Who are you selecting and who would you target with the 2nd round pick to complement?

.......And it could be a problem for Young, too, because CJ Stroud does have closer-to-prototype size (6'3", 214 pounds) for the position, and brings a lot of what Young does to the table......

Ultimately, I think there’s a good chance Stroud winds up going first, because he’s close enough to Young traits-wise, and you’re well within the scouting guardrails size-wise for a quarterback with him....

This is why I lean Stroud > Young. 

Yes, Young does some things better than Stroud and I love his leadership, rallying the team, 2 min/under pressure style which I haven't seen as much as Stroud, but overall skill wise, it seems they are neck-and-neck at 1A and 1B. 

If either choice would equate to a franchise QB1 and win a chip for your franchise, why not take the 6'3" 220lb guy over the 5'10 sub-200 pound prospect? 

It's also not like Stroud is maxed out and hit his ceiling yet. Still room to grow there.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

I saw they brought Anderson in for a visit. 

I have this weird feeling that if we do take Young they might take Anderson. They could also trade back but at some point they’re going to need actual players and not just a bunch of draft picks

I don't know how significant that is though...a star Alabama defensive player brought in by a defensive coach who was also a star Alabama defensive player. It may have been more surprising if Demeco didn't bring him in.

10 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Yes, Young does some things better than Stroud and I love his leadership, rallying the team, 2 min/under pressure style which I haven't seen as much as Stroud, but overall skill wise, it seems they are neck-and-neck at 1A and 1B. 

If either choice would equate to a franchise QB1 and win a chip for your franchise, why not take the 6'3" 220lb guy over the 5'10 sub-200 pound prospect? 

It's also not like Stroud is maxed out and hit his ceiling yet. Still room to grow there.

If it is confirmed that Stroud can diagnose a defense as well as Young reportedly can, then I could agree. I mean it almost sounds like Bryce plays chess out there. 

• Beer 3

15 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

If anything Stroud probably went outside of the system a little in the Georgia game. I don't get as excited watching Stroud scramble around as some, I think he's literally trying to see past the D-line guys. At the next level that's kinda a pain in the ass for the O-line to constantly deal with and limits the playbook

6 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

If it is confirmed that Stroud can diagnose a defense as well as Young reportedly can, then I could agree. I mean it almost sounds like Bryce plays chess out there. 

Agreed. 

I do think Young is elite at this and already operating at an NFL level.  This trait is arguably BY's top attribute and for good reason. It's some of the best processing, pre-snap diagnosing, protection calls and overall comprehension of the game that I've seen in a prospect.

The Ryan Day offense is contoured to make life easy for a QB in making progressions, so there is concern there for CJ.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

If anything Stroud probably went outside of the system a little in the Georgia game. I don't get as excited watching Stroud scramble around as some, I think he's literally trying to see past the D-line guys. At the next level that's kinda a pain in the ass for the O-line to constantly deal with and limits the playbook

Interesting point. 

I see Young's style of constantly moving around and reestablishing the pocket as an equally tiresome issue for the OL as well. At least the tackles handling the edge.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

If we do choose CJ I’m going to assume he impressed with his board work/football IQ because there is no way you pass on someone with Young’s understanding of the game for someone who’s far behind in that area 

What if Stroud hits the big time and Young flounders and fizzles out and is a bust or vice versa. Right now both of these QB's are going to be good as far as we know. It don't matter who we pick because this is hopefully our time to shine after all the years of mediocrity and being a laughing stock with the NFL world. It seriously is getting old being at the bottom of the barrel for way too many seasons.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Interesting point. 

I see Young's style of constantly moving around and reestablishing the pocket as an equally tiresome issue for the OL as well. At least the tackles handling the edge.

Interesting numbers

When his feet are set and he’s on platform, he ranks in the top 15 percent of my 10-season sample -- and he can get his feet set under duress. However, he had one of the longest times to throw while not under pressure last season (3.02 seconds, per PFF, ranking T-153rd). When you look into why, you’ll see he dropped back farther on average than the rest of the top passers in this class. Looking at QB comps from past drafts, passers who consistently had deep dropbacks have not fared well at the pro level unless their O-line -- specifically the tackles -- are able to hold off pressure well and recover when a rusher has a great second (or third) effort.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

If we do choose CJ I’m going to assume he impressed with his board work/football IQ because there is no way you pass on someone with Young’s understanding of the game for someone who’s far behind in that area 

What makes yall think CJ is far behind? How do you do what he did the last 2 years and be so far behind in IQ?  It doesnt make much sense. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1