• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chuba Hubbard suing the NCAA

Mr. Scot

28 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Yep. I mean life's not fair, and timing affects everyone. What else is going to happen - MLB players from the 80's suing because the pot got bigger? We all wish for optimal circumstances, and we all have our gripes, but that doesn't mean you can always get what you want - or what others have gotten, fair or not.

This isn't a "the pot got bigger" situation. It's a "there was no pot and it was specifically forbidden" situation. It's not about getting what you want, it's about being allowed to get what should have been allowed. The NCAA didn't make these NIL changes as a business decision on their own volition. They lost a case in court.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This isn't a "the pot got bigger" situation. It's a "there was no pot and it was specifically forbidden" situation. It's not about getting what you want, it's about being allowed to get what should have been allowed. The NCAA didn't make these NIL changes as a business decision on their own volition. They lost a case in court.

Yes, I understand, but you can't retroactively right every wrong. The litigation would have no end...oh wait. 😜

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Yes, I understand, but you can't retroactively right every wrong. The litigation would have no end...oh wait. 😜

No, you can't. But you can effectively sue an organization out of existence whose entire business model was essentially deemed unlawful.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

And they might be able to snap that line tightly to the NIL changes had they signed a consent decree and avoided the litigation, but they didn't.

This is what class action lawsuits were made of.  Otherwise, the NCAA may wind up in endless litigation and could well wind up bankrupt.  Honestly, I don't feel sorry for them one bit.  They milked the "preserving the integrity of amateur athletics" angle for years, decades really.

The NCAA gets what it gets at this point, and they have spent a long time setting themselves up for that fall.  Some governing body is needed, but they proved they aren't it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

And they might be able to snap that line tightly to the NIL changes had they signed a consent decree and avoided the litigation, but they didn't.

This is what class action lawsuits were made of.  Otherwise, the NCAA may wind up in endless litigation and could well wind up bankrupt.  Honestly, I don't feel sorry for them one bit.  They milked the "preserving the integrity of amateur athletics" angle for years, decades really.

The NCAA gets what it gets at this point, and they have spent a long time setting themselves up for that fall.  Some governing body is needed, but they proved they aren't it.

I have no sympathy for the NCAA either, or any of the other endless forms of greed and corruption out there. But things aren't going to change in a meaningful big-picture way. One corrupt entity will always be replaced by another, or the strong (haves) will exploit the weak (have-nots) in a new way. It's just the nature and prevalence of greed in the world that where we live.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Chuba is an above average back. If he works on his catching, he'll be in the league for awhile.  So, the longevity of his career might be literally in his hands. As for his running, he had the exact same average that Miles Sanders had last year. Just saying.

Ironically enough, Chubba looked way better once the guy that advocated for him to be drafted was gone. As soon as an adult was leading the room, he was utilized properly and not made to be a receiving threat out of the backfield because of his stone hands. I was honestly surprised at how competent he looked once Rhule was gone. 

1 minute ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I have no sympathy for the NCAA either, or any of the other endless forms of greed and corruption out there. But things aren't going to change in a meaningful big-picture way. One corrupt entity will always be replaced by another, or the strong (haves) will exploit the weak (have-nots) in a new way. It's just the nature and prevalence of greed in the world that where we live.

There is always a transition period between a corrupt organization and its replacement (or leadership turnover), where the new organization/leadership is both idealistic and aware that all eyes are on them after the stench of what got driven out.  So, there would be a few years where the replacement organization would be focused on its mission rather than its own feeding and expansion.

Then the destructive cycle starts all over again, usually with hiring management consultants.

It exists in organizations not profit driven, too.  I've worked in and around a government agency for nearly 34 years, and they constantly drift away from their mission into "more glamorous" things (usually in the name of power and "the integrity" of the organization).  It's not like they do that in addition to the mission, it is at the expense of the mission.  Then something bad happens, the leadership is purged, they refocus on the mission, and about 5-7 years later start to drift off into Never Never Land again.

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Is the situation better now, though?

I know some would say it's always been this way, it's just open now. Maybe that's true, but is it a good thing?

(granted, the Livvy Dunne thing kind of has its own questions)

Edited by Mr. Scot

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Is the situation better now, though?

I know some would say it's always been this way, it's just open now. Maybe that's true, but is it a good thing?

(granted, the Livvy Dunne thing kind of has its own questions)

Whether it is good or not is subjective, and is almost irrelevant because of the perspective that needs to be added "according to whom?"

In general, I agree with the statement that sunlight is the best disinfectant.  Whether people see that as good or not is up to them. 

I also don't think what we are seeing right now is what will be happening in 10 years.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Chuba is an above average back. If he works on his catching, he'll be in the league for awhile.  So, the longevity of his career might be literally in his hands. As for his running, he had the exact same average that Miles Sanders had last year. Just saying.

I don't think it is as much about what he averaged rushing. Chuba isn't elite at any specific skill. His best attributes are closer to average in the NFL than anything else.

That's not a winning formula for an NFL running back in the era where the position is devalued. Doesn't mean he can't have a decent career but it's gonna likely be as a 2nd or 3rd string/special teams guy. 

If I were him, that is what I would get really fuging good at, playing special teams.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think it is as much about what he averaged rushing. Chuba isn't elite at any specific skill. His best attributes are closer to average in the NFL than anything else.

That's not a winning formula for an NFL running back in the era where the position is devalued. Doesn't mean he can't have a decent career but it's gonna likely be as a 2nd or 3rd string/special teams guy. 

If I were him, that is what I would get really fuging good at, playing special teams.

Exactly my thoughts. He offers nothing other guys offer. Not an elite blocker, not an adequate receiver, not overly powerful or shifty. Just an alright dude. replacement level.

• Beer 1