• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pauline believes it's Stroud, but Reich wants AR

top dawg

3 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I'm saying that Josh McCown raved over CJ Stroud prior to any employment with the Panthers, so we can take that as authentic.  He gets hired.  In that interview with Reich he discussed the potential qbs in the draft, not a stretch. 

Josh McCown is not the only voice in the room, nor is he the most important voice in the room.

4 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

CJ Stroud by far had the best combine when it comes to qb related drills aka throwing the ball.

Your opinion.

5 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

The reality is, if we truly felt that all these qbs were very close to eachother, then we probably would have just traded with AZ, kept DJ Moore, and would have gotten AR.

Saying "The reality is..." before stating your opinion, doesn't change it from still being just your opinion.

5 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Fitterer said himself that if you move up to number one, then you better be sold on a guy, because you are going all in at that point.  Fitterer said that prior to the trade.

He didn't say that. He said if you move up you better have conviction. It is possible to have enough conviction on multiple candidates to decide to move up, then determine who your guy is after you've made the trade.

I'm seeing a whole lot of speculation based off of nothing but your own opinion here.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Acknowledged, but let's not prematurely end Reich's quote because it fits a narrative. He also said and intimated that there are way more important things to look at.

For the record I think Young can be successful despite his size.  I think it's something that shouldn't be ignored and pretend like it's not big deal.  His pocket awareness and IQ can help avoid some of those hits, but he will probably need to change his style of play to a degree.  Here are the two full quotes to keep it completely honest.  He is saying exactly was @LinvilleGorgeand others are on this thread.  It's a concern, but doesn't mean he can't be successful or we should pass on his at 1.  It is "absolutely" a concern though...

"Is Bryce Young's height (5-10) a factor for the Panthers in evaluating the Bama quarterback for the top pick? Says Frank Reich: 'Absolutely that is a consideration. It's also a consideration...his playmaking ability, his accuracy and his leadership, his instincts.'"

"Frank Reich said durability concerns more the discussion with Bryce Young than batted passes, etc. Not much data to look at with small QBs b/c there haven’t been many. Points to Barry Sanders and Marvin Harrison as 2 small non-QBs who instinctively avoided big hits."

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/bryce-young-height-frank-reich-carolina-panthers

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Coaches rightfully look at injury history during evaluations. Obviously, if you have an injury history it's easier to project (or at least imagine) injuries. Injury history is real and not imagined. Projecting injuries based upon size has come to the forefront of discussions due to Young's size, and that is absolutely imagining injuries, which is absolutely a slippery slope, and not an evaluation of talent.

I find it interesting that the debate has moved to a specific kind of injury, once Tua's college injury history was brought into the fold.

So I'm genuinely curious about College concussion protocol. We all know that before the NFL changed its policy due to a law suits, concussions weren't a thing. 

Even with the new policy from the NFL where you have a 3rd party doctor in the stands reviewing hits for potential (I believe) some concussions still go unchecked like the one of the ones Tua appeared to have suffered.

So, I'm curious to know what the NCAA or SEC policy on concussions.

How do they catch them?

are they relying on players to come forward? or team staff to police it?

Unless they have a similar policy like the NFL with 3rd party, for all we know, Tua had already suffered several concussions in college but were never reported by him or anyone.

You can't find something you don't check for, hence the reason, many concussions before this past decade were never reported in the NFL.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its not "so I say" its what it is.  Tua didnt have an issue with concussions at bama.  He does now after being hit by much bigger players.

So you can say with surety that previous injuries whether they were labelled as concussive or not (or even reported) simply play no part in what Tua is suffering today? Maybe you're right, but I don't have that amount of trust in medical professionals. 

https://qbi.uq.edu.au/brain/concussion/concussion-can-be-caused-body-hits-too

And let's not forget that there is a genetic component involved with concussions as well, so much so that athletes are reluctant to take tests.

https://qbi.uq.edu.au/brain/concussion/concussion-can-be-caused-body-hits-too

Like I said, regardless of concussions, there was plenty of evidence to suggest that Tua was injury prone. And he has been. 

1 hour ago, travisura said:

You're squabbling over three pounds now? Ridiculous.

So were you when you used it to argue in Stroud's favor over Tua. You can't have it both ways. Stroud is 2" taller, but weighs less than Tua according to Stroud's pro day weigh in and the combine. It is what it is.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

I find it interesting that the debate has moved to a specific kind of injury, once Tua's college injury history was brought into the fold.

So I'm genuinely curious about College concussion protocol. We all know that before the NFL changed its policy due to a law suits, concussions weren't a thing. 

Even with the new policy from the NFL where you have a 3rd party doctor in the stands reviewing hits for potential (I believe) some concussions still go unchecked like the one of the ones Tua appeared to have suffered.

So, I'm curious to know what the NCAA or SEC policy on concussions.

How do they catch them?

are they relying on players to come forward? or team staff to police it?

Unless they have a similar policy like the NFL with 3rd party, for all we know, Tua had already suffered several concussions in college but were never reported by him or anyone.

You can't find something you don't check for, hence the reason, many concussions before this past decade were never reported in the NFL.

That's a good point.  You don't see nearly as many in college (or maybe I just don't notice).  My first thought was bigger stronger hits in the NFL, but college also has smaller players taking hits so you think it would produce similar results...  Dan Morgan and Luke never had the in college and in the NFL it was an issue.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

For the record I think Young can be successful despite his size.  I think it's something that shouldn't be ignored and pretend like it's not big deal.  His pocket awareness and IQ can help avoid some of those hits, but he will probably need to change his style of play to a degree.  Here are the two full quotes to keep it completely honest.  He is saying exactly was @LinvilleGorgeand others are on this thread.  It's a concern, but doesn't mean he can't be successful or we should pass on his at 1.  It is "absolutely" a concern though...

"Is Bryce Young's height (5-10) a factor for the Panthers in evaluating the Bama quarterback for the top pick? Says Frank Reich: 'Absolutely that is a consideration. It's also a consideration...his playmaking ability, his accuracy and his leadership, his instincts.'"

"Frank Reich said durability concerns more the discussion with Bryce Young than batted passes, etc. Not much data to look at with small QBs b/c there haven’t been many. Points to Barry Sanders and Marvin Harrison as 2 small non-QBs who instinctively avoided big hits."

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/bryce-young-height-frank-reich-carolina-panthers

Sure, I've already acknowledged it's a concern, to some people more than others, but it is discussed here like it's a fait accompli that Young is destined to suffer a career-ending injury and that this makes him untouchable. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

6'3" 220

Those measurements don't fit any of the big 4 QBs in the draft.

Stroud: 6'3" 214 or 213 depending on pro day vs combine weight.

Levis: 6'3" 229 at combine

Young: 5'10" 204 at combine

Richardson: 6'4" 244 at combine and pro day

So, who are you referencing? Stroud? Any of them could add or lose weight depending on training regimens.

38 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

U may not be making this argument on the board but there are many who do! 

So as long as we can agree that he is not, as ur quote says, I think that’s fair. 

The reported playing weight of Young is ~185 and reported playing weight of Stroud is +220. 

Every player in the NFL is an injury risk due to the nature of the have. Stroud at +220 is more within the standard of current players while Young is an outlier. 

There are no guarantees that one will stay healthier than the other, but purely theoretical it would seem that Young would be at a higher risk, and hence the concerns have been raised by most pundits and our own head coach.