• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fanbase Temperature Gauge: Who do you like and who do you want? (4/21/23)

Ricky Spanish

Panther fan QB Temperature gauge poll  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better QB prospect?

• Bryce Young
    • CJ Stroud
    • Both are equally good
  2. 2. Which QB do you WANT us to draft?

• Bryce Young
    • CJ Stroud
    • Chaos (Richardson)
    • I'm good with anyone

I was leaning way toward Stroud for a long time but the more time went one the more even they became and in the last week a few things have put me solid on the Young side.

CJ had elite linemen and receivers.  I've watched Young have elite receivers and ok line to no receivers and a horrible oline.  Young has excelled in every type of way the game and team have came at him.  CJ was always surrounded by elite team mates.  One great Georgia game isn't enough for me although I do see a great upside if he was our pick.

Regardless of size I've seen Young do CJ things from a clean pocket.  I have not seen Young do barely any of Young's magic when the protection breaks down.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

I'm still not convinced that Young will be the best QB on this class when all is said and done. I think he has the highest floor of any QB, but I don't think his ceiling isn't as high as Stroud or Richardson. I think Young definitely has all the leadership intangibles you want in your franchise QB, I just don't know that his play on the field develop much more than we have seen already.

My biggest fear is that we will draft him with all these expectations of him being the next Brees/Rodgers/Burrow and we end up with nothing more than a league average QB at best.

Agreed.

9 hours ago, Actionman0z said:

Media coverage on Bryce and the hate for Stroud is starting to sway way more people to Young. I’m currently a doomsday Younger. I don’t want him, and feel like we are making a huge mistake with him, based on frame. Height is a concern because the outside pressure he creates for himself with longer, deeper drops. I don’t want him. Stroud or AR

I feel like the frame stuff is mostly an agree to disagree thing, you can't really change the mind of someone who is uncomfortable with it and vice versa. Young probably sees the middle of the field the best of anyone in the class and I don't really think that SEC linemen are that much shorter on average than NFL linemen are. I'm honestly not concerned about his height in the slightest. Sure it might interfere with his ability to throw 1-3 step drops from under center on inbreaking routes but that isn't really significant enough of a limitation for me to be scared off by when you consider his other great traits.

I don't exactly think that Young is a perfect prospect but I do think he's the best in the class and deserving of #1. I'm concerned with how long he holds the ball. I think that he can adjust to getting it out quicker and stuff at the NFL level but I won't be terribly surprised if he throws a good deal of picks early on in his rookie season dancing around trying to do too much and it could result in him taking some nasty shots too.

I will say that I think a lot of the posting around here like both QBs are gonna turn out great and us and Houston (or whomever) are gonna frolic through the fields together singing kumbaya with our new elite QBs is a bit silly. In 10 years, one will almost assuredly be better than the other. The odds of both becoming great are probably about the same (if not lower) as the odds of both being mediocre journeymen. I just hope whoever we take works out.

Edited by beo

I don't  think any of us can really blame the Panthers for picking young even if it doesn't work out, he's clearly the best in this class at processing/decison making, pocket navigation, throwing under pressure which are all important.  Also succeeded with lesser talent this past season vs Stroud.

It just personally irks me that he doesn't have any defining physical traits that he excels at (throwing power or running ability usually the main two), that combined with his lack of height and weight has me just fine with it vs being ecstatic like I really should be when drafting a QB #1 overall. 

He'll have plenty of time to convince me otherwise on the field but until then I'm basically cautiously optimistic 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

I don't  think any of us can really blame the Panthers for picking young even if it doesn't work out, he's clearly the best in this class at processing/decison making, pocket navigation, throwing under pressure which are all important.  Also succeeded with lesser talent this past season vs Stroud.

It just personally irks me that he doesn't have any defining physical traits that he excels at (throwing power or running ability usually the main two), that combined with his lack of height and weight has me just fine with it vs being ecstatic like I really should be when drafting a QB #1 overall. 

He'll have plenty of time to convince me otherwise on the field but until then I'm basically cautiously optimistic 

( "Cautiously optimistic ") I think a lot of us feel the same way.

14 hours ago, Loyalty4Life said:

I was leaning way toward Stroud for a long time but the more time went one the more even they became and in the last week a few things have put me solid on the Young side.

CJ had elite linemen and receivers.  I've watched Young have elite receivers and ok line to no receivers and a horrible oline.  Young has excelled in every type of way the game and team have came at him.  CJ was always surrounded by elite team mates.  One great Georgia game isn't enough for me although I do see a great upside if he was our pick.

Regardless of size I've seen Young do CJ things from a clean pocket.  I have not seen Young do barely any of Young's magic when the protection breaks down.

Young plays at Alabama - every starter (and their backup) is a blue chip recruit. It's such a weird stance to take that he's not surrounded by fantastic College players.

10 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

His height / weight is a massive red flag. He only has an adequate NFL arm too.

It looks like he's the pick, so we'll have to live with it, but EVERYONE should be fired if it doesn't pan out.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:32 PM, rayzor said:

i think at this point it's going to be Young...and that's totally fine with me. But so also would be Stroud or even AR.

i'm do have to admit i'm feeling more excited about Young, though. 

Agree completely. I like what AR could be and what Stroud might be, but Young has me increasingly excited to see in action.