• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN lays off employees, with more cuts to come

ladypanther

34 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

They love their biscuits n gravy in SC.

They used to love it in NC too, but now philly cheese steaks and grinders have taken their place.  Needs to called Char-lanta now.

Edited by 45catfan

ESPN has sucked for years.  The only time I catch it is in bars and restaurants when I'm captive to the whatever they have on their TVs.  I have not watched anything on ESPN in a long time other than actual sporting events and the NFL draft. Sports Center and the talking head shows all are horrible.

Kinda like SNL, it had it's heyday when it was actually great entertainment, but it's hard to watch anymore.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Y'all seen Disneys stock price over the last 2 years?

March 21':  $190 per share.

Today: $90 per share.

That's ROUGH.  They will be looking at cost cutting everywhere, and will start with the biggest loser on the balance sheet....which his probably ESPN if I had to guess.

• Pie 3

17 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Time to burn it to the ground and start over w/ a network that only cares about broadcasting sports.  I don't care to hear your political opinions.  There are a lot of media outlets that already cover that. 

You, like many other viewers, “don’t care” to hear about their political opinions UNLESS it’s an opinion you agree with. 

espn isn’t political. It’s just shitty programming. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 4/24/2023 at 3:28 PM, ladypanther said:

Now this sucks, IMO... One executive included in Monday’s cuts was ESPN’s second-longest tenured employee, Mike Soltys, a 43-year veteran of the company and a vice president of communications.

43 years???

ESPN has only been around 43 years! 

Sadly this is the new media.

I remember in the early 2000's debate shows where only about sports.

Now they only discuss stuff off the court. They rarely talk sports. It is cool to talk about what's trending on social media.

They talked about Ja Morant for 4 straight months! Like damn real sports fans don't want to hear about Ja Morant making a stupid decision off the court. 

54 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Sports is political, no way to get around it easily.  Most of ESPN's content is not political at all, it's just bad.

ESPN, like MTV, are so far gone from their original foundation it’s borderline unwatchable. A lot of people whine about ESPN being “too liberul” or a bunch of “librul agenda” …I vote that way and can’t stand ESPN. If it weren’t for live sports broadcasts like ACC basketball I would never watch the network. It’s just bad programming. 

even the gems of the network like College Gameday, NFL Live, and Sportscenter are garbage now. 

the best show on ESPN is Fantasy Football Now that airs like 2 hours before kickoff on Sundays but since Matthew Berry is gone now it will be interesting to see what happens. 

17 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Sadly this is the new media.

I remember in the early 2000's debate shows where only about sports.

Now they only discuss stuff off the court. They rarely talk sports. It is cool to talk about what's trending on social media.

They talked about Ja Morant for 4 straight months! Like damn real sports fans don't want to hear about Ja Morant making a stupid decision off the court. 

You don’t want to hear about how arguably the most explosive player in the NBA and one of the most marketable, best players in the league is posting social videos being a goon and putting his career and lives at risk? 

sports is intertwined with society. Off the court stuff matters and is important. 

5 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

You don’t want to hear about how arguably the most explosive player in the NBA and one of the most marketable, best players in the league is posting social videos being a goon and putting his career and lives at risk? 

sports is intertwined with society. Off the court stuff matters and is important. 

He's the same dude that said you should carry a firearm when you go to a club in 2023.  So your mileage may vary with his intellect 

4 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

No because if I want to watch the off the court stuff I can turn on CNN. Im here for sports and sports only.

It sucks that real sports fan have to suffer with this new media. Everything has become about what's trending. You got analyst like Shannon Sharpe trying to fight a basketball team because of his love affair with Lebron. I mean just look at this stuff it's a joke.

42 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

ESPN has only been around 43 years! 

. This article details the development of ESPN from its founding in 1978, and its history since the channel's launch on September 7, 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_ESPN

The well-liked and well-respected Soltys is an ESPN lifer having worked for ESPN for 98% of the network’s history. ESPN’s founder Bill Rasmussen brought him on board in 1980 as an unpaid intern. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/04/24/Media/mike-soltys-espn-layoffs.aspx

• Pie 1