• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Panthers pick a second QB?

hepcat

34 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

This would also hold true for any qb we take later in this draft. We traded down for Corral; lets at least see what he can do before we dump him and use precious draft capital on someone equally as unproven.  

Corral was a clear Matt Rhule pick and it's unfortunate he didn't get a shot when he had a staff that wanted him. But the truth is Corral played in a super simple one read offense at Ole Miss and was the 4th QB selected in a historically bad QB class. I believe the reports that Frank Reich doesn't want him and they are willing to trade him for whatever value they can get. We might be a year away from a second QB to see how Bryce does but I don't think any of us would be excited if Dalton has to play any extended period of time this season. Which is why I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a second QB.

Not with Dalton and Corral here, even if we trade Corral it wouldn't make sense with Dalton as the backup.

Once Dalton leaves in a year or two, that's when you draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round (especially since I'm in the camp that thinks Young will be injury prone, so yes, we do need a project QB on the roster in the near future to protect ourselves).

42 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

Before we draft another quarterback, draft another offensive lineman. Develop Corral, if nothing else he might make a career backup. Andy Dalton cannot play forever. 

Counterpoint:

OLinemen don't get traded for multiple draft picks every single offseason. Take a late round flyer to compete with Corral. Loser goes to the practice squad. If both look promising, trade one and sign an undrafted free agent to the scout team.

QB, Edge and WR are the most important positions in football; you should be drafting and developing those positions every single year.

33 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Counterpoint:

OLinemen don't get traded for multiple draft picks every single offseason. Take a late round flyer to compete with Corral. Loser goes to the practice squad. If both look promising, trade one and sign an undrafted free agent to the scout team.

QB, Edge and WR are the most important positions in football; you should be drafting and developing those positions every single year.

If the goal is maximizing draft picks it seems more straight forward to not use them just for the hope maybe one day you can trade them for picks.

You need like 10  quality offensuve lineman. I believe you don't olan for the unlikely event you can trade a QB for picks in the future in a period you are lacking picks when most of your team is comprised of of lineman, receivers, and defensive backs.