• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Th 6’2 prototypical QB is a myth, look at the shotgun percentages

TheBigKat

3 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

look at how the game is evolving. It is turning into a shotgun heavy league. In scenarios like that it’s no longer about the prototypical Drew Bledsoe sized QB, it’s about who’s processing the play and reading the field fastest.

hence why the coaching staff and scouts were always sold on Young, the Chef Curry of QBs in College. 

I started to come around to Young as I started researching how the game is evolving, it’s not about where the NFL offense is today, where’s it going to be in 5 years

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/nfl-teams-moving-out-from-under-cenet-riding-shotgunnfl-teams-riding-shotgun/

IMG_4107.jpeg

IMG_4108.jpeg

The major concern about Young isnt his overall game or how the nfl offensive philosophy is changing.  Its simply can his body withstand the punishment.  Thats pretty much it.  

• Pie 5

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

The major concern about Young isnt his overall game or how the nfl offensive philosophy is changing.  Its simply can his body withstand the punishment.  Thats pretty much it.  

The greats usually know how to avoid taking major hits (Brady/Manning) while the athletically gifted typically try to enforce their imposing ways on the defense (Newton, Jackson)

I suspect that Young is going to learn to slide very quickly and know when to throw it away and live for another play

• Pie 2

And the 5'10 180 lb All-Pro Prototype is real? 

Lmao...our QB is going to be one of the smallest dudes in the NFL. There is no way around that. There is no road map to success here. If he doesn't succeed, we will know why.

I'd rather have fuging Brock Purdy with this staff than Bryce Young.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 7

2 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Lmao...our QB is going to be one of the smallest dudes in the NFL. There is no way around that. There is no road map to success here. If he doesn't succeed, we will know why.

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, TheBigKat said:

The greats usually know how to avoid taking major hits (Brady/Manning) while the athletically gifted typically try to enforce their imposing ways on the defense (Newton, Jackson)

I suspect that Young is going to learn to slide very quickly and know when to throw it away and live for another play

Sure, all of that.  But the fact remains he is still going to get clobbered at some point.   Even with one of the best lines in the nfl Brady still got sacked 22 times and thats not including knock downs.    Wilson who people are comparing Young to was sacked a league high 63 times and he was hurt basically the entire season.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Matt Corral is 6'1 215 pounds and he looked small in preseason. It was like he was being swallowed up by the pocket, and I kept thinking "he's going to get hurt." Then he got hurt trying to run for his life. Young is 5'10 190 pounds, and I can't even imagine how small he's going to look behind our enormous o-line. Our center is 6'5, and you know our tackles are basically the largest humans on Earth that can still play a sport. I can't help but wonder if the Panthers are actually taking Young, but all signs do point to him being the selection. 

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 2

5 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Matt Corral is 6'1 215 pounds and he looked small in preseason. It was like he was being swallowed up by the pocket, and I kept thinking "he's going to get hurt." Then he got hurt trying to run for his life. Young is 5'10 190 pounds, and I can't even imagine how small he's going to look behind our enormous o-line. Our center is 6'5, and you know out tackles our basically the largest humans on Earth that can still play a sport. I can't help but wonder if the Panthers are actually taking Young, but all signs do point to him being the selection. 

Its easy to imagine, he's just a tad shorter than PJ.  PJ played behind the exact same line that Coral did in preseason, just PJ didn't get put on IR for the season like the much larger Coral did.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

16 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I'm old enough to remember people complaining that Steve Smith was too short to be a WR.

• Pie 6

20 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The major concern about Young isnt his overall game or how the nfl offensive philosophy is changing.  It’s simply can his body withstand the punishment.  Thats pretty much it.  

We don’t have a bad offensive line and the coaches can teach him to protect himself. People are overblowing the injury concerns.

• Pie 3