• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lamar Signs 5 year Extension

shaq

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

If that's accurate that's...not what I'd call a huge increase (relatively speaking, of course). The guaranteed money is what everyone will be asking about though.

The next question to be answered will be whether it turns out to be a smart deal on the part of the Ravens.

This will definitely be a case study for running QB’s going forward! If Lamar continues to be injured and this contract turns into a mess, the market will lower the value of running QBS for sure.

5 minutes ago, Datawire said:

I wonder who caved first. Lamar or the Ravens.

They both tried to find someone new and when that failed it became obvious they were meant for each other.  A compromise was reached they hugged and kissed to sealed the deal. Video at 11.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

People just hated him. I remember debating with one poster about Lamar and Derek Carr lmao

This is the truth, too. Quite a few posters who just didn’t/don’t like Lamar. It was pretty easy to see which posters were the ones who don’t like him.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

There’s a lot of Huddlers who think they know more than they really do. The Ravens were in 1st with Lamar. Dropped out of first, and the playoff picture without him. Of course they wanted him back.

I mean it's more nuanced than that. We'll see what they ultimately gave him, my guess is they caved as they didn't really have a choice considering the leverage franchise QBs have in today's NFL, but it was completely reasonable to be hesitant to give the dude a fully guaranteed contract considering he has missed that much critical time the past few years.

Just now, shaq said:

This will definitely be a case study for running QB’s going forward! If Lamar continues to be injured and this contract turns into a mess, the market will lower the value of running QBS for sure.

Probably also be kind of a big thing In terms of how people see Eric DeCosta.

I wouldn't say he's doing a bad job or anything, but he's not exactly Ozzie Newsome level just yet.

(sentiments that many a Ravens fan has expressed over the last few years)

• Pie 1

Just now, t96 said:

I mean it's more nuanced than that. We'll see what they ultimately gave him, my guess is they caved as they didn't really have a choice considering the leverage franchise QBs have in today's NFL, but it was completely reasonable to be hesitant to give the dude a fully guaranteed contract considering he has missed that much critical time the past few years.

Of course it’s more nuanced than that. Both sides of the table were pretty definitive when it came to Lamar, though.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Probably also be kind of a big thing In terms of how people see Eric DeCosta.

I wouldn't say he's doing a bad job or anything, but he's not exactly Ozzie Newsome level just yet.

(sentiments that many a Ravens fan has expressed over the last few years)

Totally agree, great thought! Gonna be very hard to replicate the consistency Ozzie had in his drafts for sure.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well to put in another way, do you want to hear talking heads discussing Jackson as the Panthers are announcing their pick? 😄

After the last several weeks of reading the Huddle, I truly don’t think there’s anything else I need to know about any QB we draft.  It will simply be 15 minutes talking about Young’s height, leadership, S2 score, playmaking ability, fit in our scheme, etc.  

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

He got 5m more total contract value and 6m more guaranteed.  

My question is what is fully guaranteed..

Hurts had 179 guaranteed but only 110 was fully guaranteed.  

That's a win for Lamar considering Hurts has took a team to the SB. 

Maybe the Ravens will finally put weapons around him now like the Eagles did with Hurts. Dude was starting to remind me of Cam with his lack of weapons.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

If the ultimate outcome is that he got a little more money but still didn't get the fully guaranteed contract, I'm not sure I'd call that the Ravens "caving".

And yeah, it was perfectly reasonable for them to hold their ground on that, especially for a guy who hasn't played a full season in a few years.