• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corral post to instagram

On 4/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, CPcavedweller said:

Corral versus Jacob Eason I guess? Would almost guarantee Corral wins that..

I wouldn't.

Eason is a guy Reich had with him from the Colts. He knows the system well and he's looked decent in limited action.

To call Corral's action "limited" would be an understatement. Add to that the numerous rumors we've heard that the Panthers were looking to ship him out.

I don't doubt that Eason will be given a legitimate chance to win that third spot. And yes, he just might do it.

13 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

It has been reported that Tepper is a big believer in the S2

Even if so, it's also been reported that Tepper isn't meddling in personnel decisions.  So it's unlikely that his personal feelings on the S2 has been a meaningful factor in two different coaching staffs' application of it in their respective scouting processes.

5 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Even if so, it's also been reported that Tepper isn't meddling in personnel decisions.  So it's unlikely that his personal feelings on the S2 has been a meaningful factor in two different coaching staffs' application of it in their respective scouting processes.

From Albert Breer...

“[Tepper] is all about process,” Fitterer says. “He’s not about the evaluating. He’s not going to sit there and say, Hey, listen, I think this guy’s got a great arm. That’s not his world, and Dave’s smart enough to realize that. He doesn’t want to influence it that way. He just wants to make sure that we’re looking at it from every viewpoint and challenging ourselves, and that we have the data behind our decisions—that we’re not just looking at it from a scouting standpoint, that we have all the back-checks that we can use that are out there.

• Pie 2

Corral is about to get a hard lesson because I doubt anyone trades for him so he might be lucky to be on an active roster this year for any NFL team.  He certainly didn't provide much on tape in his limited action to justify a roster spot.  

• Beer 1

On 4/30/2023 at 8:28 AM, CPcavedweller said:

I think 98% of the Huddle would feel the same as him. You get drafted, then you're taking 4th string snaps behind PJ Walker, Sam Darnold, and Baker Mayfield, getting maybe 8 live snaps a practice. Then you're told you're going in for a full half of preseason behind 4th and 5th offensive linemen.

Mental reps are great, but how are you supposed to truly learn the offense well enough to run it, in preseason, with 8 snaps a practice? Most scoring drives would have 20 or so snaps.

It’s not like he was facing the ‘85 Bears defense, just scrubs battling for a practice team slot. 

46 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

As Mr Scot's post above shows, Tepper is challenging the staff and asking questions, but not forcing anything onto them. They obviously are aware that he is a fan of analytics in general and the S2 in particular. How much that influences them is anyone's guess. I would think that sub-consciously at least it is a factor.

Breer’s final nugget includes Young reportedly performing well on the “S2” test, which is a cognitive test aimed at measuring processing speed. He adds that David Tepper reportedly puts a lot of weight into this assessment, which Joe Burrow and Justin Fields have measured well in on past occasions.

But, everyone will agree, they don’t know who Carolina will be selecting yet. They only have strong feelings that Young will hear his name called first by commissioner Roger Goodell. We’ll find out if the NFL insiders are right soon enough, later this month.

50 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yes and no

He's not meddling in the decisions, including how much weight is put on tests like the S2.

But I'm quite sure it was discussed during the HC interviews and I'd assume Reich showed a positive attitude towards using tests like that in evaluating prospects.

So while Tepper's love of the test isn't directly impacting the decisions being made right now, I'm sure it plays a factor at a higher level.

47 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

It’s not like he was facing the ‘85 Bears defense, just scrubs battling for a practice team slot. 

Yes.

And his supporting cast was also scrubs battling for a practice team slot. 

It was chaos out there, and typically is when those players are out there. 

It’s easier to throw randoms out there on defense vs. offense (as well).

Offense needs timing, organization, rhythm. And not only was he thrown out there with a 4th string unit, but he had to split the reps with that unit with a vet who didn’t need those reps. AND he was a rookie. 

Corral might actually be terrible, but last camp/preseason isn’t the proof that he is. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

32 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Corral might actually be terrible, but last camp/preseason isn’t the proof that he is. 

Go back and watch the film when he got hurt.  That fat ass Deonte Brown did nothing to stop the rush.  Is he even going to get picked up by another NFL team?

What happened last year is water under the bridge.  Matt's best move now is to make the most of training camp and preseason.   His efforts may generate some interest from other teams, if not the Panthers.  Also, hopefully, he has learned his lesson when it comes to staying off social media.

Corral could end up not making it in the NFL but he was hardly given a fair shot in that one preseason start. And Ron Rivera was looking to prove a point.

Still he could operate with some better awareness given the circumstances.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Corral could end up not making it in the NFL but he was hardly given a fair shot in that one preseason start. And Ron Rivera was looking to prove a point.

Still he could operate with some better awareness given the circumstances.

Yeah most people can’t relate to his exact situation, but we all know what it’s like to feel overlooked or under appreciated (which may only seem that way, and not be true).

And most of us have overreacted on social media or posted something that wasn’t worth posting. 

It’s just not worth the time. These are young men competing to be the elite of the elite. Career is always on a knifes edge. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Albert Breer...

“[Tepper] is all about process,” Fitterer says. “He’s not about the evaluating. He’s not going to sit there and say, Hey, listen, I think this guy’s got a great arm. That’s not his world, and Dave’s smart enough to realize that. He doesn’t want to influence it that way. He just wants to make sure that we’re looking at it from every viewpoint and challenging ourselves, and that we have the data behind our decisions—that we’re not just looking at it from a scouting standpoint, that we have all the back-checks that we can use that are out there.

All that is to say that when you're the boss, you make the call. He's not saying "I'm challenging these guys on their assertions and letting them make the decision". It reads to me like "I'm challenging these guys until they make the assertions I want to hear".

fug Tepper. Worst owner in the NFL with Snyder gone.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Here’s probably what really happened. 

Trading up and taking Young isn’t a direct statement about Corral at all. 

You simply can’t bank your season on a guy who got hurt and couldn’t show anything. 

Even in a crazy situation like if Young busted, and Corral developed into an MVP, you still needed to add a QB this off-season. 

The position just needed resources thrown at it. 

I’m excited that we have a plan A (Young), a vet (Dalton), and a plan B (Corral).

Beats the hell out of a Mayfield/Darnold camp battle.