• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More NFL News

Mr. Scot

19 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Pretty much what I have thought. People always bring up his athleticism like it is an X factor to win a Super Bowl. 
But I can’t remember the last time and athletic QB won a Super Bowl.
Cam is the last one to play in one I think. 
Don’t hate AR but I never understood his hype. But both him and Stroud I will be keeping a close eye one. 
If AR even plays this year. 

Hurts was just in it.  

• Pie 3

44 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Pretty much what I have thought. People always bring up his athleticism like it is an X factor to win a Super Bowl. 
But I can’t remember the last time and athletic QB won a Super Bowl.
Cam is the last one to play in one I think. 
Don’t hate AR but I never understood his hype. But both him and Stroud I will be keeping a close eye one. 
If AR even plays this year. 

The answer to your question goes all the way back to 1995 (94 season) when Steve Young won with the 49ers over San Diego.  Even that is debatable because Young was more of a passer, perhaps because of the OL he played behind and the offense he played in.  But he was still a threat to run when needed, when the opportunity arose, and sometimes by design.

Looking at a list of Owl-winning starting QBs, he is the only one I think qualifies.  Elway was well past his running days when he won, despite the helicopter-landing scramble against Green Bay.

Even among the QB's on the losing side, we have Hurts, Cam, and Kaepernick.  Guys like Russell Wilson and Mahomes are athletic enough, but generally use(d) their quickness to buy time to throw, not run by design, or, like Vick, drop back to throw and look for a reason to abandon it and run. 

In truth, Mahomes' running patterns look a lot like Young's did as the 49er starter.  He generally runs about 4 times a game, which was about where Young was.  The only reason I would differentiate the two is that type of pattern was a lot less common in 1994 than today.  Young was a bit of a unicorn back then.

• Beer 2

8 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

He also pushed Jordan Gross into early retirement so that the team could roll with Byron Bell at LT in front of our franchise QB. He also drafted Edmund Kugbila and let Norwell walk in free agency so we could pay Trai Turner who took his pay checks to the Golden Corrall. I know you prefaced with “Gettleman wasn’t good” but his o-lines weren’t good either. It was a big reason we lost the super bowl.

First, I was responding to Rivera not having a GM as if Ron was some sort of Bill Belichick mind that did amazing with the paucity of talent and trying to compare his OL talent with Rivers’s current OL. Rivera had a lot of talent on the 4 playoff teams with DG and the coaching was the issue not the OL. Denver had two HOF edge rushers and we did nothing to counter them on a horrible field.

Second, according to Gross, he retired and knew he was going to retire in 2013. https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2014/07/29/jordan-gross-weight-retirement-panthers 

Third, if you are going to bring Norwell and Turner into it, at least acknowledge that Norwell signed with Jax a year after Gettleman was fired and Turner was also not extended until after Gettleman was fired. Gettleman didn’t make either thing happen.

Fourth, I am again not saying Gettleman was some special GM but he did bring in a bunch of OL and didn’t ignore it like Hurney 2.0 and Rivera in Washington. See “first” again on why I mentioned Gettleman at all, nothing to do with saying Gettleman was good.

Lastly, it gets really annoying when people try to say the OL from 2014-2017 wasn’t good or talented. They were. You don’t go 22-2 with a bad OL and the 2015 OL was ranked top 5 and in a couple rankings #2 after Dallas. 2016 was injury lalapalooza and 2017 was good again even with speed bump. 4 of the 5 OL in 2017 were previously or currently pro bowlers or all pros. The talent was there, especially on the interior and Williams was 2nd team all-pro in 2017 but unfortunately got hurt in 2018.

Lastly part deux, I am again not saying DG was great but OL was actually an area he got a lot of talent but LT is some sort of a trigger word in so people don’t see the rest of the OL.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

On 8/6/2023 at 11:00 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

AR been having a good camp so far. He might start sooner than expected.

Young's football IQ made him the best pick and I am happy we have him; however, Richardson was my #2 pick. The guy has a huge upside and eventually is going to be a threat very similar to Cam.  

Indy IMO is probably in a rebuild mode and Richardson was the best pick for that rebuild.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Co-starter with a guy who is too dumb to learn a playbook. Yikes.

Schefter tweeted (is it still called "tweeting") that he'd never seen the word "or" in a d pth chart before.

Gantt responded that it happened just last year, with Mayfield and Darnold 😄

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Schefter tweeted (is it still called "tweeting") that he'd never seen the word "or" in a d pth chart before.

Gantt responded that it happened just last year, with Mayfield and Darnold 😄

I was about to say, I remember we had this exact scenario at this time last season.